Thai A380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai A380

I assumed that Thai was not going to do anything special for the A380, and I was right unfortunately. It's quite funny reading the new vice president in commercial affairs' quotes about the reasons behind TG's decisions and how they compare to SIA. Also, I didn't know that 737-400s could do BKK-LHR runs! The TG A380 will carry exactly 500 passengers.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2007/10/30/3055334.htm
    Last edited by sqforever; 13 November 2007, 12:56 PM.
    Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Don't think they have the money to come up with fancy offerings to compete with SQ. There is lots of corruption within the company and they should settle those corporate issues first. I believe the B737-400 was a typo error. I believe they will have PTVs on all seats on their A380s... Prices better be cheaper than SIA since they have a less premium offering in all three classes.

Comment

Yea why wont the guy just flat out say " unlike singapore airlines, we dont have the money to put a damn hotel on our a380". lolz

i cant believe that thai is going to stuff thier premium seats on the upper deck. I quess they're sticking with the a340 layout, since the upper deck on the a380 is basically an a340.

Comment

"We have a different positioning from SIA. Ours is based on an operating philosophy that largely maximises on the bottom line economics; the plane's ability to generate revenue,"
        Come on.. If no one plans to fly ** jets, *** bother thinking of generating revenue ! Stuffing ** plane with seats, seats and more seats may not be the best way to generate revenue..

Comment

Seriously though, if they do come up with same seats as the current offerings or minimal updates, they are still pretty good for the price they charged. Their first class is often cheaper than SQ's business class.

I would rather see them have a decent products, nothing fancy with bargain prices. It provides some affordable premium products for some of us who can't afford SQ's premium class.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporeairlinesboi View Post
            Yea why wont the guy just flat out say " unlike singapore airlines, we dont have the money to put a damn hotel on our a380"
            well played, sir ... well played

had a good laugh
            Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
              Don't think they have the money to come up with fancy offerings to compete with SQ. There is lots of corruption within the company and they should settle those corporate issues first. I believe the B737-400 was a typo error. I believe they will have PTVs on all seats on their A380s... Prices better be cheaper than SIA since they have a less premium offering in all three classes.
              Hehe, I'm well aware that they don't have the money but its still quite funny. The corruption is a problem at TG and with their whole new image appearing there really isn't much corporate attitude change. And yes, I know that the 737 was a typo error hence the Looking at what Thai puts on some B744s and their A340-600s, they should have AVOD PTV in all classes. Too bad Royal Silk class won't have a complete flat-bed though....About pricing, Thai said due to their "production differentiation" plan they will charge an 8% premium *sigh*

Originally posted by singaporeairlinesboi View Post
              Yea why wont the guy just flat out say " unlike singapore airlines, we dont have the money to put a damn hotel on our a380". lolz

i cant believe that thai is going to stuff thier premium seats on the upper deck. I quess they're sticking with the a340 layout, since the upper deck on the a380 is basically an a340.
              lol, very funny. Too bad we won't have "Royal Orchid Suites." That would be a classy name! Due to the fact that Thai waited to put in flat technology when B/E Aerospace made the minipod and basic F flatbed, I bet in a couple of years they will make a no-frills suite/suite-like product that carriers like TG could retrofit if they could justify it. TG used to be on par product wise with SQ up until the mid 90s where they started lagging behind and riding on their service alone. They're new seats would be more impressive if they were launched 3-4 years before they actually did.
              Last edited by sqforever; 14 November 2007, 03:32 AM.
              Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Seriously, I think Thai is losing out and they are getting real outdated. I wished they could do something better and maybe get some foreign investors in to invest and change the image of the airline. Service is one thing, but the products also does counts. I won't sit Thai Economy on most of their aircraft, save for the A340s (though I prefer EY on A345) and 77E. If their A380s are going to be like their A346, then I think its such a waste. How nice if they could just have good products like SQ and CX.

Comment

Well, this might sound like an orthodox, but somehow, I feel that Thai had made the right choice. Since they knew better that there's no way they can outwin the big players like SQ, they choose to go for the conventional way. Going head to head with SQ would not benefit them, and thus not a wise choice.

Moreover, most airports had spent millions of dollars upgrading their airport facilities to accomodate the Whalejet. If every player goes the luxury way by having less passengers onboard, it would take very long for the airports to break even, not even mentioning making profits. I remember reading this somewhere in this forum. Today, SQ has 471. Who knows maybe tomorrow BA announces they will have 450, then KE goes at 400, while EY fight back at 300? This battle would never end.

Furthermore, not all passengers, who want to experience how is it like to be on the A380, has the ability to afford the big-ticket prices. Thus, TG serve as a means to fill the gap between those who want to fly the A380, yet doesn't have the cash to do so.

Although it is not quite possible that TG will cause a threat to SQ in terms of F and J. But they would certainly compete with SQ in Y. Thus, SQ might be compelled to lower their Y price to compete with TG. Ultimately, those that will benefit are the passengers. Isn't it always good to have cheaper fares?

Of course, I'm not trying to say that all airlines should follow suit to squeeze in as many passengers as possible. What I'm trying to say is that all airlines should have their own individual identity. For example, SQ markets themselves to the more afluent group. Why can't TG market themselves to the mass market? So, in all, I support TG's action.

P.S. Sorry for the bad English. By the way, comfort is still my main concern when choosing an airline.
                  Last edited by nykelaz; 14 November 2007, 12:38 PM.
                  We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

[QUOTE=nykelaz;36837]Well, this might sound like an orthodox, but somehow, I feel that Thai had made the right choice. Since they knew better that there's no way they can outwin the big players like SQ, they choose to go for the conventional way. Going head to head with SQ would not benefit them, and thus not a wise choice.

Although it is not quite possible that TG will cause a threat to SQ in terms of F and J. But they would certainly compete with SQ in Y. Thus, SQ might be compelled to lower their Y price to compete with TG. Ultimately, those that will benefit are the passengers. Isn't it always good to have cheaper fares?

Of course, I'm not trying to say that all airlines should follow suit to squeeze in as many passengers as possible. What I'm trying to say is that all airlines should have their own individual identity. For example, SQ markets themselves to the more afluent group. Why can't TG market themselves to the mass market? So, in all, I support TG's action.

QUOTE]

It is somewhat justified but the problem with this is that Thai markets themselves as a premium carrier like SQ. Go to youtube and check out their commercials with slogans like "The Luxury Continues" and how they will provide the most luxurious service and such. But you are right about competition, SQ provided so much that it would be pointless for other airlines at this exact time to try and top it; but still, it is a bit sad that it will be exactly the same product as the A340-600 except with the 772ER biz class. Now I'm just wondering what BA will do as I'm sure that they will launch a new F product and might try to compete with SIA.

Comment

I have not yet experienced the A380 suites. But personally, I feel some negative feelings about it. In random order:
                      • The closed suite is likely to make me feel to isolated. Just had a look around a 744 F cabin the other day and just thought how I like the feeling of space.
                      • Downstairs next to the stairs does not seem like a good place to put the top end seats.
                      • Creating a new booking class makes it more difficult to build tickets to take it without paying exhorbitant prices.
                      • The premium does not seem worth it when compared to 744 or 77W. I wonder how much more LHR-SIN will be...

I do not know why SQ keeps wanting to talk about how "exclusive" it is and how just the lucky few will experience their top product.
                      Frankly, I want a good product at a reasonable price. I like the way things were until now. No need for more exclusivity.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
                        Frankly, I want a good product at a reasonable price. I like the way things were until now. No need for more exclusivity.
                        Actually the new J seems like the answer for now. Good product & priced reasonably so far (although already at the expensive end already).
                        Just BYOC & BYOK.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
                          I have not yet experienced the A380 suites. But personally, I feel some negative feelings about it. In random order:
                          • The closed suite is likely to make me feel to isolated. Just had a look around a 744 F cabin the other day and just thought how I like the feeling of space.
                          • Downstairs next to the stairs does not seem like a good place to put the top end seats.
                          • Creating a new booking class makes it more difficult to build tickets to take it without paying exhorbitant prices.
                          • The premium does not seem worth it when compared to 744 or 77W. I wonder how much more LHR-SIN will be...
                          I do not know why SQ keeps wanting to talk about how "exclusive" it is and how just the lucky few will experience their top product.
                          Well, after taking the Suite, your "isolated" feeling is really depending on where you are seated. Seat 1A and 1F are not good place to seat, and also it will make you isolated.
                          I was in 3F and I was talking to the gentleman in 2D.
                          During meal service, all the windows and doors are opened. So I can see other pax enjoying their meals. But once the door closed, I guess it feels that I am going back to my hotel room for the night.
                          And if you are afraid by having stairs near the Suite means that pax from upstairs would go down, it supposed not to happen. There should be a chain link that gives a sign to upperdeck pax that they are not supposed to go down the stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                            There should be a chain link that gives a sign to upperdeck pax that they are not supposed to go down the stairs.
                            Hmmm, sorry if this sound stupid to you guys, but since passangers are not allowed to use that stairs, and the upper deck has it's own aerobridge, is there a need for a stairs then?
                            We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                              Hmmm, sorry if this sound stupid to you guys, but since passangers are not allowed to use that stairs, and the upper deck has it's own aerobridge, is there a need for a stairs then?
                              I don't think the stair in front is a waste.. it serve many purpose. quick access to the upper deck that is definitely, secondly is for the ground crew who has to give the pilot the load sheet and u cannot expect the ground crew to go 1 big round just to get up to the upper deck to see the captain?

Comment

Working...
                              X