Trip to SFO-Not good so far!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to SFO-Not good so far!

Well my dad was asked by his company to take a trip to SFO for a convention, and my mom and I thought that we would tag along. I also get 5 days out of school hehe....... While he's at the convention center we'll go around the city and visit an old Singaporean friend who is an ex-SIA girl now working for UA. I thought I'd write a little TR on my flight as I had quite an eventful experience so far!

We checked into Cleveland Hopkins yesterday at Terminal B at around 1:45 pm. A man wearing a taxadermy club jacket was complaining about UA telling him wrong info regarding size and weight of luggage. He went on for about 5 mins complaining about his "rights" and everything. finally we got everything checked in and we went on our way to gate B6 if I recall correctly. Boarding commenced and we boarded a Canadair bombardier CRJ-something. It had comfortable leather seats which were quite nice for UA express. A suprisingly quick take-off and we were off! we have a female captain that day and according to my mother that explained her "quick flying and maneuvers!"

I spent the short 55 minute flight staring out the window at the sea of clouds which never cease to amaze. As we reached Lake Michigan I knew that we were close to O'Hare. It started getting turbulent as we neared Chicago as, after all, it is the windy city. When we reached the gate, I stepped off the aerobridge as the zoning FA said repeated "goodbyes" to pax while fixating her eyes on something. It was almost robot-like but it was UA express so I didn't have high expectations. I grabbed some quick and crappy Westernized Chinese food at a food court area and watched as crew loaded baggage onto a UA 777 which was heading to Europe. We reached the gate just as our section was boarding and my mom said, "I have to go to the toilet." Ugh!!!! Just as our entire section finished and the next one started did my agony dissolve as I saw my mum rushing towards the gate from the restroom.

We boarded on a 767-300 in a 2-class configuration (they're Economy Plus doesn't count as a seperate class on that flight; it only had what looked like 1 in. pitch difference anyway). My seat in Y was a window seat yet again and my mom sat next to me. My dad was on the right aisle seat with the center seat unoccupied. Since I'm not at my full height yet pitch was no problem (I'm 5 feet, 6.5 inches currenly) but my dad who is caucasian, a bit large and 5' 11" was cramped. Even worse, the lady in front of him reclined her seat which crushed his knees and even at take-off the crew didn't notify her to bring it into the upright position! I saw at least 1 other person in my section of the cabin who did the same. UA 907 took off quickly into the night and during most of the 4 1/2 hour segment we could see the lights on the ground. A 50 year old granny FA was suprisingly the nicest one of all as she actually smiled and was chatty. The rest, no smile, nothing-they all felt very cold and impatient as they collected trash and such. I had a few small cups of water and some Sprite.

I attempted at reclining my seat but it wouldn't budge. Turns out that a lady behind me was getting crushed and her knees were making it impossible for me to recline! And she was only about 5' 9"! I shudder to think of tall people over 6 and a half feet and how they would survive in these seats! But the flight did have a redeeming factor, and that was the movie on the overhead screens which was "Transformers" which i missed at the cinemas. After that, they showed a sucession of NBC programming and "Ugly Betty." On Radio Channel 2, they were playing the latest alternative and hip-hop and one of them was Fergie's "Glamorous." It caught my attention as I looked around at my seat.
    The lyrics went: "Flying First class, up in the sky"- I looked at the crushed knees in surrounding seats and my lack of PTV.
    "The glamorous, the glamourous, glamorous!"-I looked at my sophisticated entree of Snyder's mini pretzels.

As we approached SFO it was very cloudy and rain was coming down. Soon after leaving the clouds did we touchdown. I'm a strange guy and I love rain so it was kind of a nice welcome to SFO for me When we reached the gate we had to wait for about 15 minutes as they were locating a jetway driver to hook us up to the terminal. Another ugh moment as I was very fatigued even though I had caught about 45 minutes of winks after Transformers. We went to baggage collection and we retrieved all of our bags. We waited and waited for my checked-in bag to appear but nothing happened. It turns out, out of the whole aircraft, mine was the only bag to be checked-in on the wrong flight, or so the lost luggage dragons said. Yes yes, frequent F/J pax have lounge dragons but N. American Y pax are stuck with LLD's

My bag contained all my clothing, toiletries, and school material. My mom also stuck in her make-up kit as I had spare room. In all, about 250 USD worth of stuff. We went to Departures area to catch the shuttle to our hotel. We booked the Holiday Inn Express Airport-South for the first night as today we are switching to the San Francisco Marriott in downtown. We went to the bus station, rain pouring down, and went into the small waiting bench area. We saw many hotel shuttles, some even 4 times! After 25 minutes of waiting in the cold, tired and hungry, we called the hotel. Turns out that the driver was out of view and was waiting to be called by the hotel to keep circulating! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!

A middle-aged Italian man who spoke in broken English helped with our luggage. After 3-minutes we were at the Holiday Inn. We walked into the lobby when we realized, where's the camera?! The hotel called the driver and he could not find it. We believe it was left at the SFO shuttle stop and was most likely stolen............In a frustrated mood we marched to our temporary room and put our things down. We walked outside to grab a bite at a local restaurant called "Max's" nearby. I wasn't hungry for anything particular so I decided to get a slice of Apple Pie. Service was slow and we barely saw the waitress, not a good way to start after going through this whole ordeal. the apple pie was very nice tho lol

We walked around the corner back to the hotel; I stopped and asked the service manager on duty for a toothbrush as mine was in my lost bag. I had to wait as I stared at him chatting with a friend on his hand phone in Arabic. After a minute of him joking away in front of me, he put the phone down and asked "What do you want?" I said I needed a toothbrush and at first he thought I said toilet but he then said "Ah, toothbrush." He went through a small door seperated with a blue drab curtain and I heard the noise of drawers opening then closing. "cha-chung, chung, cha-chung, chung, cha-chung, chung." He literally opened every single metal drawer until he yelled from within the little room "We have no more." In an even more agitated mood, I walked away. Right now, I'm sitting in the room and my dad took a shuttle back to the airport to check on the lost luggage piece. They were supposed to deliver it late last night/early morning to the hotel but it's not here.........This trip isn't going well so far; at least we're visiting that stewardess friend I mentioned today and we're switching to the other hotel So, I'll write more later on how the trip's going!
    Last edited by sqforever; 11 November 2007, 09:48 PM.
    Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

dude sucks that your camera was lost. Hopefully you bought a new one in s.f!

Comment

What a wrecked trip... AZ couldn't have done worse!
      Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

More of the trip

1. I've been eating in Chinatown everyday and love that SF is such a diverse city. I can say one thing, avoid "Chinatown Restaurant!" I saw the pamphlet and being a historical landmark with an 88-year history I thought it sounded good. Well it was a tourist trap. Guiding you to the restaurant and everything, all felt too fishy. 16% service charge, cheap+ overpriced food, bad feng shui me feels lol inside this place. Although I had very good thai at Cha Am restaurant and very good Indonesian at Borobodur which gave me a taste of SG again!

2. While in chinatown, I saw a homeless man outside the Empress of China restaurant. He was very suspicious-he was jittery and seemed too "clean." I stopped down the street and inconspicuously looked back. A man over 6 feet tall stopped and exchange something between them-the supposedly homeless man used his hand not his begging cup. The man started walking quickly down the street after and his face had absolute signs on severe drug-use. He cupped his hand and sniffed white powder as he didn't realise anyone noticed him. I notified the police department via the Marriott concierge lounge phone and apparently it seems that they've "got" him already. The hotel thanked me for doing the city good (I didn't think it was that big of a deal tho) and presented me with a large trolley model stuffed with chocolates

3. Also while in chinatown my mom was catching some deals on jade jewelry and tea. All of a sudden a crazy 65 year old Chinese man with a heavy American accent rolls in and tells us a story about how his son married and divorced 5 women, 3 chinese, 1 japanese, and 1 korean. He then looks at the jewelry and quickly picks out a few things. He pulls 20 one-hundred dollar bills out of his pocket and just buys stuff! He acts very crazy and starts to curse the owner in heavily-accented Mandarin about the his money being genuine; a stark difference from his Americanized English. He walks off after buying the things and seems happy. I realized that he was carrying things such as expensive scrolls and all kinds of things! A couple thousand dollars worth!

4. I took a bay cruise under the golden gate and by alcatraz. Just as we set out the cold front was rushing towards the bay. I felt like I was on some excursion and not in a city bay! So cold and wintry ocean like, couldn't imagine I was in California but it was still really neat experience having the fog roll right into your direction with nothing in sight but the dreary ocean. Oh and btw, while waiting at the dock, something interesting happened. A bird flew overhead and plop plop went some bird poo! It landed on my dad's coat and it had never happened in his 58 years of life. Then, on the cruise, birds were flying overhead the whole time. My dad was seated at that time packed like a sardine. Plop plop, there goes the green poo! Right on his semi-bald head! 2nd time in one day and it had never happened before! I couldn't figure out if I should laugh or feel frustrated for him! He laughed mostly though.

5. I took a taxi driven by an Indian man back. My dad who worked in the bay area for 3 years commented that it did not seem like the correct route back to the Marriott. It was very casual, like "Hmm, I don't know exactly which route this is." The driver replied in his heavy accent, "aaahh! you are a tourist! you do not know the way! You do not drive here so you would not know the correct direction."
        My dad replied to him, "Excuse me, but I worked here for several years and frequently drove through this area. I do not recall taking this way."
        Driver: "Yes!! But you are still not a taxi driver and I know the very very best way for you!"

The driver was taking us in an S direction going around blocks and treated as gullible tourists just as much as the chinatown restaurant tried to. When we reached the hotel my dad paid the exact fare and did not give a tip due to this man's rudeness. He then started swearing to us and F****** my dad out! My dad replied to him on why he did not get a tip. Then the guy kept on cursing! We shut the door and he quickly took off.

6. I am currently in the Crown Plaza in foster city and tomorrow is my last day. I am visiting the ex-SQ girl again as she is retuning from her long-haul to China with UA. This has been a very strange trip! Oh, and this is a very popular hotel with airline flight crew. A batch of FAs just arrived from Taipei on CI and many of them were very indifferent to my greeting. Some Mexicana FAs are here too.

p.s.- luckily the camera we lost was the old one that was not digital. We have a brand new digital camera and its better than our other digital one!
        Last edited by sqforever; 18 November 2007, 02:26 AM.
        Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Thanks for telling us about your trip. I'm glad the rest of your holiday was better than it started.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
            I am visiting the ex-SQ girl again as she is retuning from her long-haul to China with UA.
            OK, you'll have to tell us more about this one!

Sorry to hear about your dad...but it was quite hilarious.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Oh, and I forgot another unusual/depressing/senseless thing that occured during my trip. Since I spent most of my in-hotel time at the San Francisco Marriott by the Moscone centre (my dad was at Oracle Open World where a shocking 45,000 people showed up!), I enjoyed the concierge/executive lounge for Marriott platinum members. The concierge lady who was head of staff at the lounge told me that a murder happened next door at the Metreon centre. Apparently a 15-year old kid was walking down an escalator and urging an 18-year old guy to hurry up. The older guy just shrugged off his rudeness so the kid whipped out a gun and shot him then and there. How heartless.......

I have to set out as we are having dinner with the stewardess; oh and my mistake, she's back from Taiwan not China. After that, I'm heading out for the 11:40 red-eye departure to ORD ! Can't wait to see what further strange incidents will occur!
              Last edited by sqforever; 18 November 2007, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X