• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part 3 of A380 Inaugural

This trip report is a continuation of Part 2 here :
    http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2640
    Sorry for the untidiness of all again.

Well, the party continued throughout the whole flight, and I admire how the crew put up with all the nonsense with a smile :

Sorry for these pics - forgot to rotate them.

Even the meal service was filmed :

The lady in the black sweater was a New Zealander reporting for Al-Jazeera. She was a one-woman show, at one point interviewing 4 of us and filming at the same time.

Then it was cert-presentation time :

The gentleman here works for ExxonMobil which sponsored the fuel for the flight, but he auctioned for and paid for the ticket just like everyone else.

Then one lady walked through the cabin showing her 3 certs :

Her name is Isabelle Chu and she regaled me with wondrous tales of her adventures in the inaugural non-stop turn-around flights she did in 2004 with 4 others (including our very own CGK and StarG. For more of her story, turn to page 38 of this month's Silver Kris mag, which features her !

This German man was flying with his son, how nice ! And they both wore custom-made A380 shirts. They obviously were having a great time.

Then it was champagne time ! Charles Heidseick flowed freely in economy, and we helped ourselves eagerly. It was served in plastic cups though..........bummer.

The young lady on the right was the reporter from Newsradio 93.8 who interviewed us live that morning.

We managed to sit down for a quick meal :

The beef was fantastic - as good as any I've tasted on Y or J class.

The chefs made their rounds in our cabin. Here's Matt Moran :

Then Thomas Mark Lee made his way through our cabin - his parents brought him on the first Boeing 747 flight on Pan Am in 1970, and it inspired him to devote himself to a career in aviation. Now he has been invited by SQ to be on this flight, and he also paid for 2 tix for his wife and daughter.

What a beautiful cert his B747 one was ! I admired it for ages, then noticed something, and asked him "how did you know the size out A380 cert was going to be, to have pre-made your frame and cut-out area exactly for it ?"
    He replied "Oh no I didn't - SQ took my B747 cert away from me some time ago, and made this frame with the 2 certs, and presented it to me just now".
    That took my breath away - what a nice touch SQ !

Next Capt Robert Ting made his rounds. When the man in the red shirt introduced himself as being from the Sydney Morning Herald, Capt Ting stayed and answered questions for a whole 10 mins. At one point, he was asked "Captain, now that you are here, who's flying the plane ?" - he gave a sly smile, took out his mobile phone and pretended to press some buttons, then said "it's on auto pilot - now, do you want to turn left, or right ?"
    Next morning, this and a lot more was reported verbatim in the Syd Morning Herald.

Soon it was time to return to our seats for the landing. We were disappointed that the SYD harbor fly-past was cancelled due to bad weather.
    The descend and landing was super-smooth.
    We disembarked, still in a euphoric mood. The greeting on arrival was quite low-key, but the nice touch was that Mr Chew Choon Seng and other SQ staff were lined up at the gate to shake hands with each of us.

And so, slowly, 471 passengers of the inaugural A380 flight made their way to baggage claim, past customs and immigration and beyond, to be dispersed and swallowed up by the cool Sydney evening..............

Stay tuned for Part 4 - what did upright man and his
    brother SDE747 do in Sydney, and how did they make their way back to SIN ?
    J. my own dear wife J.

Fab, upright man. I'm envious, but I have to say, this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity couldn't have happened to a nicer man. Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to Part 4.

(Not to say that there aren't other nice guys on SQT, of course, particularly our intrepid Suites reporter. )
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
      Then Thomas Mark Lee made his way through our cabin - his parents brought him on the first Boeing 747 flight on Pan Am in 1970, and it inspired him to devote himself to a career in aviation. Now he has been invited by SQ to be on this flight, and he also paid for 2 tix for his wife and daughter. ...
      What a beautiful cert his B747 one was ! I admired it for ages, then noticed something, and asked him "how did you know the size out A380 cert was going to be, to have pre-made your frame and cut-out area exactly for it ?"
      He replied "Oh no I didn't - SQ took my B747 cert away from me some time ago, and made this frame with the 2 certs, and presented it to me just now".
      That took my breath away - what a nice touch SQ !
      Well done, SQ.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

yea , those small things SQ did really touches people hearts dont they?
        we are just passionate lovers , with troubles under the covers

Comment

"upright man",

A very BIG Thank you for sharing your photos and your experience with us.

-priceless-

Comment

Thanks upright man

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
              Thanks upright man
              I second (or third or fourth or fifth...) that!

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                Well done, SQ.
                Yes, I can imagine how much it meant to Thomas Mark Lee to have his 37 year old cert specially taken away, put into a custom made frame with his new cert, then presented to him on board !
                Btw, he was given a complimentary J seat by SQ, and bid for 2 J seats on his own for his wife and daughter, but he never bragged about this to me, and didn't mind spending lots of time in Y telling his story - such a humble man.

At one point, someone said to me people like Thomas and Isabelle were show-offs to parade around with their certs, but I told him that they weren't showing off - just sharing their story like proud parents showing us their new-born baby.

Thanks again for the compliments, everyone !
                J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Thanks again for sharing, upright man!
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

upright man - thanks again for an excellent installment Most envious, especially considering I doubt I'll be able to fly A380 for many years Can't wait to read more mate!

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
                      At one point, someone said to me people like Thomas and Isabelle were show-offs to parade around with their certs, but I told him that they weren't showing off - just sharing their story like proud parents showing us their new-born baby.
                      There is always more than one way to see something.
                      For me, it does not look like some show-offing. It's their enthusiasm that I see.
                      I am sure it was very interesting to be a part of history (in their case several times!) and IMHO it is okay to be excited.

Isabelle and I exchanged some emails before the flight. How I wish I could be on the same flight with you all.

Thanks for sharing, upright man.
                      Glad to see you enjoyed your flight.

Comment

awsome photos & tr!
                        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Thanks upright man for sharing this wonderful historical flight in 3 different parts for other Sq Talkers here ~!

Comment

Another great part of your trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I've been following all three parts of your TR. Very impressive. Thank you for your hard work in compiling this.

Comment

Working...
                              X