SPG status at check-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPG status at check-in

SPG regulars, I have an upcoming hotel stay but my card has not arrived. Will the check-in staff at the hotel know my status? I made the booking while I was a SPG lowest level. (He he he..hoping for an upgrade) Ok, OK, I am just anxious for an upgrade.

I hope I don't have to take a print out of my account page?

If your SPG no. is in their system, they should be able to see your status automatically.

You can also print out a temporary card from the SPG website, if you log in to your account and go to "Replace My Card."

Comment

If you booked the room before you have a status, you'd better off calling and asking for reentering your number to reflect the new status.

Comment

It's been a few years, but the last time I had a status change with SPG it wasn't a problem that my res was made under the previous status. When I checked in, the reservation didn't reflect the new status but when I told them about the change, they were able to look it up with no problem. It wouldn't hurt you to have a printout from the website showing your currnet status, though. Congrats, too, on the change in SPG status.

Comment

If you're really concerned about an upgrade as a gold , I'd e-mail or call them beforehand to ensure that they know your change in status.

I always thought that my status is recorded at the time of reservation but when I stayed at the Westin Osaka recently, they thought I had no status even though at the time I booked a few months earlier, I was a gold. They mentioned that their records showed my (lack of) status from when I first stayed there a year earlier. Anyway, they were able to look up my status no problem when I told them about it (otherwise, they were going to charge me for 4pm checkout!).

Comment

Thanks all for the replies. Yeah, lowlies like me are suckers for upgrade. Movieman, I've taken your advice but was hesitant at first as I did not want to order yet another card when my new card is on its way within 10-12 weeks.

jhm, that was scary. Ok, what I will do is to make sure when my stay is near, I will reply to their standard SPG welcome email.
            Last edited by SQFAN; 30 October 2007, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
              Movieman, I've taken your advice but was hesitant at first as I did not want to order yet another card when my new card is on its way within 10-12 weeks.
              An SPG customer service rep was the one who suggested printing a temporary card when I was in a similar situation, despite the fact that the new card was already supposed to be on its on its way soon, so I think it'll be OK.

Comment

Around 36 hours before your arrival, you may want to call the hotel directly and ask for the MOD (if you're Gold) or call Plat Concierge if Plat.

I almost always do this as it prevents the hotel from screwing things up.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Have taken all your advice. and hope I get the upgrade benefits. Will post report and pictures in due course. Thanks guys.

Received this confirmation email :-

Dear SQFAN

Thank you for your email.

We look forward to welcoming you to The Sheraton Belgravia Hotel tomorrow for 1 night and then at The Sheraton Park Tower for 1 other night.

We are aware that you are a XXX Starwood Preferred Guest.
                  Kind regards

J F-T | Reservations Manager – Starwood Central London Hotels

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                    SPG regulars, I have an upcoming hotel stay but my card has not arrived. Will the check-in staff at the hotel know my status? I made the booking while I was a SPG lowest level. (He he he..hoping for an upgrade) Ok, OK, I am just anxious for an upgrade.

I hope I don't have to take a print out of my account page?
                    I stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm before and the receptionist told me she cannot see my status on her computer.
                    I wonder how true is that ??

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      I always thought that my status is recorded at the time of reservation but when I stayed at the Westin Osaka recently, they thought I had no status even though at the time I booked a few months earlier, I was a gold. They mentioned that their records showed my (lack of) status from when I first stayed there a year earlier. Anyway, they were able to look up my status no problem when I told them about it (otherwise, they were going to charge me for 4pm checkout!).
                      This has worked well for me for the last year with HHonours. When I went down from Gold to Silver both the Paddington Hilton and the LHR Hilton still had me in their systems as Gold so I still got the room upgrades.

Comment

If you're really concerned about an upgrade as a gold , I'd e-mail or call them beforehand to ensure that they know your change in status.

Just an update on this.

A certain alcohol loving SQTalker and I checked into the Westin Malta last night. Both of us are platinum.

His reservation got updated to a suite a few weeks in advance and on arrival, he was addressed by name, told he could check-in upstairs, asked what amenity he wanted, whether he'd had a pleasant flight etc and fussed over. And I got zilch! I only realised what was wrong when we were about to leave and I told them that I'd also like the same platinum amenity and they said that I show up a a gold!

Whilst I made the reservation before I became a platinum last year, I cancelled and made it again after I became a platinum. So it does seem that if you make a reservation whilst one status and then make another reservation later, some hotels might have your SPG status on their records from the earlier reservation and don't seem to update it ?

Comment

Just an update on this.

A certain alcohol loving SQTalker and I checked into the Westin Malta last night. Both of us are platinum.

His reservation got updated to a suite a few weeks in advance and on arrival, he was addressed by name, told he could check-in upstairs, asked what amenity he wanted, whether he'd had a pleasant flight etc and fussed over. And I got zilch! I only realised what was wrong when we were about to leave and I told them that I'd also like the same platinum amenity and they said that I show up a a gold!

Whilst I made the reservation before I became a platinum last year, I cancelled and made it again after I became a platinum. So it does seem that if you make a reservation whilst one status and then make another reservation later, some hotels might have your SPG status on their records from the earlier reservation and don't seem to update it ?
                          I think that can happen. Of course, it can work in your favor when you drop in status and stay at a hotel shortly after going down in status! It worked for me before.

Comment

Just an update on this.

I can confirm jhm's observation. I made a bunch of booking while i was still Gold. After being made Plat, I called up the hotel in NY and they mentioned that I was Gold. I advised them of my new status and voila, the usual perks applied when I arrived.

The other thing that helps is that I confirm that they have my correct status at check-in. Just trying to be kiasu?

Comment

Working...
                            X