X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAS Will Stop Using Q400 Planes After Crash Landing

SAS Will Stop Using Q400 Planes After Crash Landing
    By Christian Wienberg and Niklas Magnusson

Oct. 28 (Bloomberg) -- SAS AB, Scandinavia's biggest airline, will stop using its Dash 8 Q400 planes after three crash landings in six weeks made customers ``increasingly doubtful'' about the safety of the aircraft.

The 27 planes will cease flying immediately, the Stockholm- based carrier said today in a statement distributed via the Stockholm Stock Exchange.

The airline took the turboprops out of service yesterday for the second time in two months after an aircraft, whose landing gear failed to fully extend, crash-landed at Copenhagen airport. On Sept. 12 SAS grounded the Q400s after landing gear failed to lock on two planes in four days, also causing crash landings. They started phasing the planes back in from Oct. 4.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...eLY&refer=home

Thanks for that info. Was aware of recent problems with DASH.

Was in CPH SAS lounge a few hours ago and saw a reference to SAS incident when logged into SAS site but they did not mention anything except 'incident'. Nothing on the BBC.

Reading the article you provided, here's something which I think is ridiculous :
    ``The Dash 8 Q400 has given rise to repeated quality-related problems,'' John Dueholm, deputy CEO of SAS, said in the statement. ``We can now conclude that the aircraft does not match our passengers' requirements concerning punctuality and regularity.''
    I think the Deputy CEO forgot to mention 'safety'.
    Last edited by SQFAN; 29 October 2007, 12:50 AM.

Comment

SAS sees 300-400 mln crown hit from plane move

STOCKHOLM, Oct 29 (Reuters) - Scandinavian airline SAS AB (SAS.ST: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Monday a decision to stop operating its Bombardier (BBDb.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) Dash 8 Q400 turboprop planes would cost it 300 million to 400 million Swedish crowns ($47 million to $62 million) over the remainder of the year.

SAS cancelled more than 60 flights on Monday after a third plane from its fleet of Dash 8 Q400s crash-landed over the weekend following two similar incidents in September.

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...20528520071029

Comment

An understandable but extremely expensive move (relative to their historical rececnt profit acheivements).

Comment

I bet there is gong to be some pretty fiercely fought legal action after this one.

Comment

SK is hated by me, and it is because they refuse to listen to their own problems, and this is one example.

Postings in this thread have only mentioned a few incidents, but there was a first crash-landing at AAL (Aalborg) airport in Jutland, Denmark, which started this whole trend...

In my "commutes" from AAL to India and the US, I have had many cases of things going wrong, which this airline refuses to admit that it has a problem with, and therefore would not correct their mistakes for the future.

This is a primary example of the same.

I was in line once at EWR when I started complaining about SK and one of the people behind me was with the FAA (or possibly a contractor for them), who stated that he had just done the safety inspections of the SK international aircraft and that they were much better than most of the airlines in the air.

I laughed at him.

In any case, there are no other similar cases of these models having such safety issues, except for the SK fleet, and these incidents are occurring within months of each other, indicating a possible maintenance issue.

Luckily, nobody has been seriously hurt so far, and one of the propeller blades on the AAL crash actually pierced through the fuselage, which is why I never sit near the engines on these planes!

Comment

I heard from unconfirmed sources that the landing gear failiure was due to build up of rust in the suspension system because some of the airports still use salt to de-ice the runways and this build up of salt caused it.

Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by impresta View Post
                I heard from unconfirmed sources that the landing gear failiure was due to build up of rust in the suspension system because some of the airports still use salt to de-ice the runways and this build up of salt caused it.

Can anyone confirm?
                No idea...a good idea would be to monitor the Bombardier site, I guess...!

Oh, and btw, I happened to be in CPH on the second round of these incidents, where SK had to cancel a *whole* bunch of itineraries at a conference I was attending (partially sponsored by SK! )

What was most amusing was that upon arriving at CPH, we had **8** flights releasing their baggage on 1 small baggage carousel (I had to take photograph of this...but don't know where to post it), which was not SK's fault, probably, but the airport organization there. (oh yes, other larger carousels were completely empty and unused (at least 2-3), but they didn't bother using them....)

(I flew LX, via ZRH, from FRA, as I was/am boycotting SK, and still had a better in-flight experience!)

Bombardier site is interesting btw....lots of comments on the Q400 - even Qantas is ordering some now! Another unnamed European airline signed up for 10 aircraft...
                Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; 31 October 2007, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Can anyone confirm?
                  If this was the sole cause, why won't you see similar issues with other planes? Why only specific to Dash?

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                    If this was the sole cause, why won't you see similar issues with other planes? Why only specific to Dash?
                    Climatic conditions in Scandinavia, where these aircraft operate - if, in fact, this was really the case!

Further, if you read up on this at Bombardier's site, the landing gear was made by Goodrich...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
                      - if, in fact, this was really the case!...
                      What exactly are you saying?

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        What exactly are you saying?
                        What Impresta was saying:

Can anyone confirm?
                        This, specifically can be attributed to the climatic conditions that exist in the colder regions of Scandinavia, where salt *may* be used to de-ice runways...however, I have never heard of this being done - but I have no idea, really...

Comment

Working...
                        X