Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying the SQ A380 inaugural SIN-SYD

Hi all,

By popular demand, I shall hereby start the trip report(s) of the A380 inaugural.

The evening before, Iangoodwin had made arrangements for a meating and so Luke, SteveTas, myself and some others gathered at the Swissotel The Stamford in Singapore to meet each other F2F for the first time over some Singapore Slings.

Had just arrived from FRA on SQ325 (delayed bec of heavy winds at FRA resulting in only 2 runways out of 3 being available) and because of the early flight the next morning we didn't make it late.

We agreed to meet the next morning in the lobby at 4.30 am in order to catch a cab to the Airport.

During the night I got 5 phonecalls from newspapers and radiostations back in my home country asking for coverage/interviews of the flight.This resulted in me only sleeping for more or less an hour...

Anyway, it was soon enough "morning" and time to head down to meet the others. Upon entering the lobby, I noticed a lot of people were cheching out as well. It proved to be members of the press who had been invited by SQ to be on the first flight.

A guy in a suit approached me, said good morning, introduced himself as the PR manager of SQ in the UK and said that I could go to the table to the left to pick up my presskit and my ticket for the flight.

I explained him that I was in fact a paying passenger (it's always funny to tell someone you "won" an auction) but that I was interested in the presskit

He told me that those unfortunately were reserved for members of the press and he wished me a pleasant flight.

Soon enough Iangoodwin showed up (Luke and SteveTas were already there) and we were about to go and call for a cab when we realized that the special SQ bus for the press was already standing outside.

I went up to the SQ chap again and asked if we could go with them. He said to check with the lady at the presskittable and so I did.
    The lady was very friendly and said: "sure, hop on, guys!" (she later on even offered us some water or juice on the way to the airport).

We were soon at the airport where people had already started checking-in.
    Everybody was full of enthousiasm and the press was everywhere, taking interviews, filming and taking photographs.

After we were issued our boarding passes, we were invited to stand in front of a wall full of "first to fly A380" logo's where pics were taken and our addresses checked. This should be for a special stampsheet to be sent out to our home soon.

After that, we went through immigration and to the gate holding area F31 for security check and the breakfast buffet.

The room soon filled up with people and becam quite packed in the end. Pics were taken, some speeches and cheques donated to the charities benefiting from the auction.

Soon it was time for boarding and first Suites, Business Class and PPS members were called, followed by Economy passengers in zones.
    3 aerobridges were in use.

Upon boarding, everybody started taking pics and checking out the whole interior of the aircraft.
    In our seat, there was a pillow, a blanket and a goodie bag (cfr pics of Derek) and in the seat pocket, there was a special version of the KrisWorld magazine (cfr my pics).

Was assigned an aisle seat (no possibility for seat requests in advace or at check-in), with a fellow passenger next to me and nobody in the window seat. The window seat didn't have a goodie bag either!
    It proved that seat would remain empty and my seatmate asked me if I would like to sit by the window since he preferred sitting by the aisle anyway... Needless to say I almost jumped over him to the window seat. A great thank you to him for letting me sit by the window
    Last edited by HIATC; 27 October 2007, 02:03 AM.

SQ380 inaugural part 2

The safetyvideo started to play as we pushed back, but I was so fascinated about what was going on outside that I forgot to watch it (sorry, SQflyergirl!)

As we pushed back, I noticed that lots of people were standing at the windows inside Changi airport catching a glimpse of our big fella. The Silkair A320 at the gate next to us was dwarfed by the wing of our A380 just like a father who's standing next this his child and gives it a pat on the shoulder.

The Rolls Royce Trent 900 engines spooled up and we started ou short taxi to the runway. Was interesting to see the A380 lining up in between normal traffic at Changi.
    We were almost instantly cleared for take-off and people started clapping and cheering as soon as we started our take-off roll. It is indeed true that the noisy level of the engines is inferior to that of the 744 or the 77W.
    You almost couldn't feel the movement and the A380 gently took the skies under even more cheering and clapping!

The usual announcement was made that seatbelts should remain fastened as long as the light etc, followed by another announcement that the personal certificates and Champagne would be distributed soon!

After the seatbelt sign was switched off, people started moving around, travelling between the 2 decks, in and round galleys, down to the crew rest area etc, all followed by press running up and down the aisles...
    I felt a bit sorry for the crew bec it was hard working for them that way, but they remained all cheerful and kept on explaining how things worked etc.

Special edition menu's were distributed featuring an Asian and a Western option for lunch (once again, see Derek's pics in the other thread.

Meanwhile, champagne corks popped and the crew started distributing it, followed by a box of canapés.

More champagne followed (in fact it was always readily available in the galleys or by the crew).

The personal certificates were handed out to each passenger

Lunch was served (one of the very few moments most of us remained seated) and the flight went on smoothly. Captain Ting informed us about the trip and gave some more information about the aircraft and its engines and thanked us for being on the flight.

Comment

Links from the other thread for easy reference:

Originally posted by Derek View Post
      Hey folks,

Long time reader.. first time poster.

I haven't had time to write up a proper TR, but I thought you guys would like to see the pics I have taken.. so just go to my Flickr page to view.

Click Here

Have fun!

Originally posted by HIATC View Post
      Congrats on being the first to post the pics, Derek!

Was just busy uploading my pics as well; here's the link:

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/HIATC/

Enjoy!

Comment

Captain Robert Ting and Mr Chew Choon Seng walked through the cabin and talked to the passengers and posed for pics. Mr Chew is really a nice guy. He was all smiles and it showed that he was so proud of his new baby. Passengers thanked him because of the decision to buy the aircraft.
        Earlier that morning, during the speeches at the airport, Mr Chew told that the A380 was now the way to go for SQ and that the 744 was a thing of the past.

Because he was standing in front of 2 passengers for quite some time chatting with other passengers, Mr Chew said sorry to those 2 pax and one of them just replied; "nah, don't bother, it's you're plane anyway"

After more drinks, talking with fellow pax and travelling between the 2 decks, Captain Ting came back on the PA announcing that Sydney Air Traffic Control had granted permission for a low fly by over the harbour. Everybody was cheering upon that announcement, but in the end, the flyby didn't happen bec of low hanging clouds.

We were already on our initial descend when the refreshments were served (you guessed it, cfr Derek's pics. and the crew had to work hard to serve all passengers, do the cleanup afterwards and preparing the cabin for landing.

Despite the weather being not so good, the A380 gently touched down at SYD, where lots of ground staff welcomed it.

We taxied to the gate and came to a full stop.
        After the seatbelt sign was switched off, everybody got up to prepare for deboarding. At that moment, an announcement was made that it would take a few more minutes to open the doors because it was the first time the A380 was docking at SYD and as a result the ground crew was extremely cautious with the bridges so as not to damage the plane. All went well and we got off and into the airport where Mr Chew and SQ staff were lined up thanking us once again for being on the flight, after which were presented with a copy of "The Sydney Morning Herald" with on the front page: "THE FUTURE LANDS IN SYDNEY TODAY".

Passengers then moved onwards to immigration, baggage claim and customs inspection, ready to go downtown to their hotels or back home.

A truly remarkable experience had come to an end, to be an ever lasting memory for all those onboard.

A special thank you to Airbus for designing and building the A380, to SQ for buying it and organizing the event, to the fellow passengers and crew onboard and all those on the ground involved in any way with this event, for their enthousiasm in making this trip what it was: simply fabulous!

Comment

Excellent TR! Many many thanks!

Comment

Excellent stuff I am so jealous of all of you who made it onto the inagural.

Comment

Originally posted by HIATC View Post
              The safetyvideo started to play as we pushed back, but I was so fascinated about what was going on outside that I forgot to watch it (sorry, SQflyergirl!)
              Sigh... kids these days - Leroy and Bubba refuse to watch the video too...

Great TR though !

Comment

Fantastic account - thanks!
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Great report. Thank you. It was funny that passengers actually thanked Mr. Chew for buying the A380. This can only happen to airliners fanatics.

Can't wait to be on one of this myself on Nov, 9th.

Comment

I feel happy for those who were able to take part in this piece of aviation history (and gratitude towards our TR author HIATC ), and a lot of envy on top of that.

Well done on the TR!

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                    Can't wait to be on one of this myself on Nov, 9th.
                    Oooh, can't wait for your TR.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Hope you have a great time aboard HIATC ~! That was a marvelous trip report and a good alternative way for those curious on what happened on the first commercial flight if they didn't join in part of the trip

Comment

Thanks for this trip report, waited for it for two days. Nice pictures and a good, comprehensive TR.

Comment

By the way, is there a self serving bar on board for C and Y classes?

Comment

There is a self-service bar for Business Class passengers only, yeah.

Comment

Happy for you guys who made it for the first inaugural charity flights. And I salute Isabelle Chu from Perth who made it as well (see SQ news release). And now we should wait for more reports, tidbits, comments or anything from others in the first flights.
                              Not to forget, I hope another two SQTalkers who will be in the first commercially regular schedule for A380 SIN-SYD would be able to share more details since the flight would be quieter without the press and party-atmosphere.
                              Nonetheles, thank you for all who shares their experience with us. And I am very happy for you all who have the chance to fly first A380.

Comment

Working...
                              X