Hilton Tokyo - review please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilton Tokyo - review please?

To my undying shame I'm once again looking outside SPG, this time for a visit to Tokyo - same story as my thread on SIN, the SPGs seem to be either crappy looking hotels, hotels beyond my budget or hotels far away from where I want to be.

I'm currently booked at the Sheraton Tokyo. It looks great. But even though I'm meant to "Belong" , the location is rather awkward and I've no idea how I'm going home at 5am in the morning short of catching an expensive cab ride (I don't trust myself with public transport after one too many tipples). Unless alternative accommodation for the night has somehow been arranged of course.

So I thought this would be one of those occasions I'm utilising my HH Gold status. And presto - the Hilton Tokyo is EXACTLY where I want to be, in Shinjuku! And only A$49 extra per night over the Sheraton.

Based on pics and reviews at tripadvisor, it seems to be decent.

Can anyone vouch for this hotel or suggest better alternatives? And what can I expect to get as a Gold at this property?
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 October 2007, 02:39 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Century Southern Tower would be much closer to the JR station. But I don't think you can accumlate any points there.

Keio Plaza is also ok with very good availability.

Century Hyatt is closer to the MTR station (just opposite to Hilton,but you don't have to walk across the road to the MTR station). This might be an alternative if you want to collect points.

I seldom check for those brand (Hyatt,Hilton,SPG,IC) hotels in Tokyo as their location is not good for me.

Comment

Not sure if this will make any sense as my memory of Tokyo is getting rusty - but I'm hoping to be near Shinjuku Ni-chome between S-chome and 2-chome.

Are any of these hotels (Hilton or Century Hyatt) within walking distance to the above? On my last visit to Tokyo I spent an hour getting lost repeatedly trying to find those places after getting out of Shinjuku station (which in itself was MASSIVE) even though I was in the same neighbourhood.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 October 2007, 08:08 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Keith, maybe you can check hilton forum in flyertalk. They usually have a very comprehensive information.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Not sure if this will make any sense as my memory of Tokyo is getting rusty - but I'm hoping to be near Shinjuku Ni-chome between S-chome and 2-chome.

Are any of these hotels (Hilton or Century Hyatt) within walking distance to the above? On my last visit to Tokyo I spent an hour getting lost repeatedly trying to find those places after getting out of Shinjuku station (which in itself was MASSIVE) even though I was in the same neighbourhood.
          If im not wrong...I think one of this hotel have a direct entry into shinjuku station.... But Shinjuku station always very complicated (even for Japanese people itself)...

Comment

So I thought this would be one of those occasions I'm utilising my HH Gold status. And presto - the Hilton Tokyo is EXACTLY where I want to be, in Shinjuku! And only A$49 extra per night over the Sheraton.

Based on pics and reviews at tripadvisor, it seems to be decent.

Can anyone vouch for this hotel or suggest better alternatives? And what can I expect to get as a Gold at this property?
            Try The Century Hyatt in Shinjuku, you will get free bus trips from and to the Shinjuku Station. Its only a 5 minute ride. You can even walk to Shinjuku Station. This is the best deal you can get. When I am Tokyo , I always stay here in this magnificent hotel. What's more , the Airport Limousine Bus has a bus stop at the Century Hyatt.
            Last edited by Tim; 16 October 2007, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Try The Century Hyatt in Shinjuku, you will get free bus trips from and to the Shinjuku Station. Its only a 5 minute ride. You can even walk to Shinjuku Station. This is the best deal you can get. When I am Tokyo , I always stay here in this magnificent hotel. What's more , the Airport Limousine Bus has a bus stop at the Century Hyatt.
              Is that the Hyatt Regency?
              There are 2 Hyatts in Shinjuku and the Regency appears to be cheaper... Can't afford the other Hyatt alas even though the decor at the other one looks A LOT nicer than the Regency.

Hmm I don't actually need to be near the station as I don't intend to travel out of Shinjuku. I just want to be near the location I listed above (ni-chome) so was wondering if either the Hyatt or Hilton would be better for this? I'm told the Hilton is a 'brisk 10 minutes' walk away'; would you happen to know where in relation to Ni-chome the Hyatt Regency is?

At this stage I'm still more inclined towards the Hilton because I found a good rate there that earns double HH points and gets me free daily breakfast. Plus I'm Gold at HH vs pleb at Hyatt (I'm fairly sure Hyatt will match me... but not sure if I want to do it just for the odd Hyatt stay and I obviously won't be able to re-earn the status). Unless of course the Hyatt Regency is significantly nearer to Ni-chome.

Comment

Or consider a capsule hotel (only around 4-5k JPY I believe) for you to sober up before going back to your hotel!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  Or consider a capsule hotel (only around 4-5k JPY I believe) for you to sober up before going back to your hotel!
                  That'd be more expensive than a cab ride back to the Sheraton me thinks.

Last time it cost me 2000-3000 JPY (can't remember exact figure) to get back to the IC Tokyo Bay from Shinjuku.

Comment

At this stage I'm still more inclined towards the Hilton because I found a good rate there that earns double HH points and gets me free daily breakfast.
                    Are you a member of BD ? I don't know how it compares to double HH points when converted but - as I believe - you get 1,000 BD miles per night for a Hilton stay. BD cash+miles go a long way, e.g. I know someone who recently booked MXP-FRA-SIN-xCMB-SIN-NRT on LH F (1st two flights) and SQ F (the rest) for only around 18,000 BD miles plus a few hundred quid!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Are you a member of BD ? I don't know how it compares to double HH points when converted but - as I believe - you get 1,000 BD miles per night for a Hilton stay. BD cash+miles go a long way, e.g. I know someone who recently booked MXP-FRA-SIN-xCMB-SIN-NRT on LH F (1st two flights) and SQ F (the rest) for only around 18,000 BD miles plus a few hundred quid!
                      I think it's either 500 miles per stay or a certain number of miles per USD spent. I chose the variable miles option I think as I remember working the total out to be more than 500 miles.

How do I get the 1000miles/night?

Comment

I think it's either 500 miles per stay or a certain number of miles per USD spent. I chose the variable miles option I think as I remember working the total out to be more than 500 miles.

How do I get the 1000miles/night?
                        Just sign up for the fixed miles option in HHonors and put in your BD number for mileage. You get 1000 miles/night upto a maximum of 3000 miles per stay. Perfect for those Mon-Thu work trips.

Comment

Is that the Hyatt Regency?
                          There are 2 Hyatts in Shinjuku and the Regency appears to be cheaper... Can't afford the other Hyatt alas even though the decor at the other one looks A LOT nicer than the Regency.

Hmm I don't actually need to be near the station as I don't intend to travel out of Shinjuku. I just want to be near the location I listed above (ni-chome) so was wondering if either the Hyatt or Hilton would be better for this? I'm told the Hilton is a 'brisk 10 minutes' walk away'; would you happen to know where in relation to Ni-chome the Hyatt Regency is?

At this stage I'm still more inclined towards the Hilton because I found a good rate there that earns double HH points and gets me free daily breakfast. Plus I'm Gold at HH vs pleb at Hyatt (I'm fairly sure Hyatt will match me... but not sure if I want to do it just for the odd Hyatt stay and I obviously won't be able to re-earn the status). Unless of course the Hyatt Regency is significantly nearer to Ni-chome.

The Century Hyatt has been rebranded to Hyatt Regency Tokyo. Its located at 2-7-2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo, Japan 160-0023.
                          The Tokyo Hilton is only a couple of meters away , down the road.

http://tokyo.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

It is situated adjacent to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office building.

Image credit (c) courtesy of japanhotel.com
                          Last edited by Tim; 17 October 2007, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Cheers Tim.

I reckon I have a clearer idea where both hotels are located now - both are pretty walkable to where I need to be. 10 mins brisk walk I'd say.

And so being the mileage ho that I am... the Hilton and double HH pts it is.
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 October 2007, 08:41 PM.

Comment

After two recent stays at the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo (located near Meguro on the JR Yamanote line), I have to say that I think it's a great hotel - apart from the location.

As a SPG gold, they upgraded me on both occasions to a nicer room (not a suite) and the staff were pretty friendly, e.g. the chatty girl who helped me with my luggage to my room.

The location isn't a huge problem if you're happy to pay taxi fares in Tokyo - e.g. about 1500 JPY back from dinner in Roppongi - which isn't so bad if you're used to London taxi prices. The hotel also runs a shuttle bus every 15 minutes to either Shinagawa or Meguro JR station (taking about 10 minutes for the trip) from early in the morning until 10pm.

I haven't tried the Westin Tokyo.

(On my Japan trip, I also stayed again at the LM Pacific - soon to leave SPG - which was unremarkable; the Westin Miyako Kyoto (minuses include the slightly cold staff - although perhaps a Kyoto trait ? - and a shuttle bus which only runs until 5pm); and the Westin Osaka - my favourite SPG hotel of the trip, e.g. the concierge who made a restaurant reservation in advance and was waiting for me whilst I was checking-in with directions, a map and - without me asking - a translation of the Japanese menu she'd obtained and prepared!)

Comment

Working...
                              X