Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI to join *A

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1690827.cms

After years of being a standalone carrier in the international aviation industry where airlines are rapidly aligning in various groups, Indian flag carrier Air-India is all set to join the Star Alliance. A top-level Star Alliance team, led by the CEO Jaan Albrecht, is currently at the Air-India headquarters in Mumbai for discussions on the modalities of the inclusion.
    It's truly quantity over quality for *A...
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Ugh. I don't mind if this pushes 9W further towards OW. Then I can finally have a OW alternative for my India travels...

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      It's truly quantity over quality for *A...
      Agreed... Jet Airways or even Kingfisher is a better choice. AI is simply..

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
        Ugh. I don't mind if this pushes 9W further towards OW. Then I can finally have a OW alternative for my India travels...
        I think it is just a matter of time before 9W joins OW. 9W now is a codeshare partner as well as frequent flyers partner for QF.

By the way, when are we gonna ride the same plane again to India?

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
          By the way, when are we gonna ride the same plane again to India?
          I'm likely to go again mid-to-late Nov... Will let you know.

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard or read anything positive about AI. Blech.

*A (maybe Lufty in particular) needs to re-think its "size is all that matters" approach.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I just hope this pushes 9W to oneworld or IT to Skyteam faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                I just hope this pushes 9W to oneworld or IT to Skyteam faster.
                Yes please!

Hmm, then again they might want to be like the Middle Eastern carriers and enter into bilateral contracts instead of alliances. The latter does clip your wings in a way if you're perceived as a threat to any of the major/founding carriers - look what happened with BA/LX.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SQ already provide a relatively huge number of connections to India? Why is there a need to have a hub in India if that's the case? If SQ pulls MI into *A as a regional member, that would have ameliorated the situtation too.
                  We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    Yes please!

Hmm, then again they might want to be like the Middle Eastern carriers and enter into bilateral contracts instead of alliances. The latter does clip your wings in a way if you're perceived as a threat to any of the major/founding carriers - look what happened with BA/LX.
                    Thats the way 9W is going, but with IT increasingly looking to join Skyteam and AI going to *A, it might just put pressure on 9W to join an alliance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SQ already provide a relatively huge number of connections to India? Why is there a need to have a hub in India if that's the case? If SQ pulls MI into *A as a regional member, that would have ameliorated the situtation too.
                      Because having a carrier based in India would provide the alliance with access to the huge Indian domestic market. AI is connected to a rather large catchment of passengers from India through its domestic network and would be able to feed these pax on to the other alliance members on their international routes. Neither SQ nor any of the existing *A members operate a domestic network in India.

In return AI would also get some good cash in the kitty for selling seats that would otherwise be unsold to RWSTAR pax on domestic flights presumably. Not to mention *A FFP addicts booking AI over other Indian carriers for their domestic travel.

Comment

The entry of AI into *A would also mean the return of LHR-JFK (albeit - from what I read - you'd have to seriously mad to consider flying this in AI Y, e.g. overflowing toilets, paper running out etc)!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          The entry of AI into *A would also mean the return of LHR-JFK (albeit - from what I read - you'd have to seriously mad to consider flying this in AI Y, e.g. overflowing toilets, paper running out etc)!
                          Are their new 777s better?
                          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                            Are their new 777s better?
                            In terms of "hardware", yes. See: http://home.airindia.in/SBCMS/Webpag...Stop-News.aspx

I have no experience with AI service, short- or longhaul.

Comment

Never flown them but is AI really that bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X