SIN-HKG: SQ 866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-HKG: SQ 866

I flew this flight back in May this year and only got down to writing this now, so I apologise if it is not too detailed.

Date: 26 May 2007
    Flight: SQ 866
    Airline: Singapore Airlines
    Aircraft Type: Boeing 747-412
    Seat: 4A
    Boarding Gate: E3

I decided to head to the airport a little earlier this time considering the fact that I did not enjoy the facilities of the Silver Kris Lounge a few months earlier. I arrived at the First Class porter area at around 8am and queued up at the entrance of the check-in lounge for an available agent. Check-in was quick and I headed straight for the lounge to have some breakfast before taking a walk around the airport and have a shower prior to boarding.

The selection of food for breakfast that day wasn’t too great and the egg was tasteless.

I decided to have a bath and take advantage of a little Tuscan Soul before heading out for boarding a little earlier than 1 pm.

I headed straight for the plane and found myself to be the first in there and got all the attention of the cabin crew, for that moment ONLY, idling and chatter rather loudly at door 1L. I was initially assigned 4F and was rather disappointed as I preferred 4A. The gentlemen and his wife who were seated in 4A and 4C respectively decided to sit together in C and D which gave me the chance to move over.

The LSS came round to take my drink orders to which I requested for an Orange Cooler but was met with a “You sure you don’t want anything to drink?” She then walked away and ignored me until all the rest of the passengers in First Class have boarded.

I managed to get the attention of her later on for a glass of Perrier. “Would you like it with or without lemon?” She asked and to which I said, “I would prefer without, thanks”

As you can see, it ended up with a slice of lemon in the end, though it did not really matter.

Pushback was on time with Captain Leong coming on for the usual flight details. We would cruise at 34 000 feet and flight time approximately 3 hours 50 minutes.

The LSS then came around to take my meal order to which I requested for the oven baked oysters as appetizers and I had the Ramen with Kurobuta pork belly in mind but I wanted part of ‘shi quan shi mei’ but yet again she left immediately after I said I wanted the ‘shi quan shi mei’ and I did not have the ramen in the end.

We taxied along North Cross, following a short wait behind a Cathay 773 bound for Bangkok then Hong Kong. for departure on 20R.

We reached VR just at the start of the terminals, which was rather quick, and climbed slowly out of Changi, offering a view of the airfield.

We exited over Mersing on the VMR 4 B departure and cruised towards Hong Kong on the airway M 771.

She came round with the nuts and I had the macadamias. Lunch service followed short after and came the oysters. The main courses were ready immediately upon finishing the oysters.

She started removing them all from the tray and laid them on the tablecloth, which I usually thought they put the whole tray together with the meal. I thought of that as just part of the disappointing service on that flight.

Dessert was Lemon tart with kiwi sorbet and fresh berries. The sorbet was rock hard and caused the knife the hit the plate upon making its way throught the sorbet, creating a rather loud noise.

I decided to take a walk around the cabin for a few pictures as well as check out the economy section and found them the be totally full…passengers were walking around for the toilets and the cabin was like a zoo.

Upon returning to my seat I found a short Evian at the cup holder and listened to some music to pass the time. The lady seated across the isle was having a little problem with the tray table as she tried to push it forward using her both hands to which the table moved just a little. She left the tablecloth on the half-stowed table and it just remained ther until initial descent started.

I fell asleep after awhile and was awakened by Captain Leong announcing the descent and weather conditions down in Hong Kong. Usual fog and landing on 25R was expected at this time of the year and cabin was cleared, only then was the table stowed and tablecloth removed.

We cruised past the Tsing Ma bridge on finals for 25R and landed rather hard with the Evian falling to the floor upon the nose wheels’ contact with the runway.

We exited on A 5 and taxied on taxiway A crossing the airfield and arriving at gate S 25 next to a Qatar A346.

Immigrating was a breeze with my HKIA Frequent Visitor Card but being early resulted in a rather long wait for the baggage. One thing I noticed was that a rough estimate of 80% of the bags had ‘Priority’ tags on them, making me wonder if it really helps considering the large amount of people having one, and some more than one.

I left for the city on the 24-minuted Airport Express ride and ended my journey at Hong Kong station before boarding the Free Airport Express shuttle for JW Marriott.

Well, I hope you have enjoyed the report.

I shall write about other flights if time permits.

wdranne
    Last edited by wdranne; 15 October 2007, 11:30 AM.

Thanks for sharing. I like the look of that dessert - yum!

Originally posted by wdranne View Post
    Well, I apologise for the lengthy description and hope you have enjoyed the report.
    No apologies needed! YMMV, but I actually do enjoy reading detailed accounts like this as it adds that extra bit of texture to a TR and lets me have a good feel of the trip. So keep up the good work.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by wdranne View Post
      I flew this flight back in May this year and only got down to writing this now, so I apologise if it is not too detailed.
      More detailed than what I typically remember from my trips!

Thanks for the trip report, wdranne.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Nice report! We're getting all hungry just looking at the food

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy and Bubba View Post
          Nice report! We're getting all hungry just looking at the food
          Don't bears eat wild fruits and plants, insects and small animals?

But thanks for your TR, wdranne! I wonder how you position your pictures in the centre of the post, though.
          My Cafe Adventures
          Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
          http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Many Thanks for sharing wdranne! What really impressed me was the quality of your pictures. Ab Fab
            Last edited by 9V-JKL; 15 October 2007, 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
              Don't bears eat wild fruits and plants, insects and small animals?
              Those two bears are different. Bubba prefers Krug, not Slug

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                Those two bears are different. Bubba prefers Krug, not Slug
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

@The High Flyer: I used the 'Align Center' button at the reply to thread page only for the image url.

Comment

Working...
                  X