VN are going for it !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VN are going for it !

The best livery out there will be seen more often once these start arriving...

State-owned Vietnam Airlines has split its latest order for new planes between rivals Airbus and Boeing. Vietnam will buy 12 Boeing Dreamliners, worth $1.9bn based on catalogue prices, with deliveries set to start in 2015.

It has also signed up for 10 Airbus A350-900XWB passenger jets, the plane which is meant to rival the Dreamliner.

The orders - worth up to $5.7bn (£2.8bn) - represent the latest round in the battle between the two rival aerospace firms.

The Airbus deal also included 20 single-aisle A321 planes, and is worth $3.8bn at list prices.

Boeing's lightweight, fuel efficient 787 is due to enter service next year and is virtually sold out until 2013. However, the Airbus A350 - seen as its direct rival - is not due to enter service until 2013.

Rivalry between European group Airbus and US firm Boeing has been heating up - particularly after UK flag carrier British Airways (BA) recently split its latest plane order between the pair.

Last week BA placed an order for 36 new aircraft - the largest the airline has made since 1998 - made up of 12 Airbus A380 superjumbos and 24 Boeing 787 Dreamliners.

Meanwhile, the two firms have lodged parallel complaints against each other at the World Trade Organisation as part of their ongoing battle.

The EU claims US subsidies for Boeing have cost Airbus $27bn in losses, while the US argues that Airbus has used billions of euros of European subsidies to boost its market share.

The WTO is due to rule on the US complaint in December of this year, with a decision on the application from the EU in June 2008.

Boeing and Airbus dominate the market for medium to large-sized commercial passenger aircraft, which is worth an estimated $80bn a year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7025181.stm

Even if they buy some new airplanes, I doubt I will fly VN again. It was too shocking when I took VN last time doing SYD-SGN-ICN.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      The best livery out there will be seen more often once these start arriving...
      Yeah, I agree they have one of the best livery too.
      We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
        Even if they buy some new airplanes, I doubt I will fly VN again. It was too shocking when I took VN last time doing SYD-SGN-ICN.
        Care to elaborate more?

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
          Care to elaborate more?
          Well the story goes like this.

I had to go back to Korea from Brisbane and booked BNE-SYD-SGN-ICN. I arrived in SYD by QF 5:30AM flight from BNE and checked-in, no problem. By the time I got to the gate, the plane wasn't there. No announcement for 1 hour and then finally "The plane hasn't arrived from SGN yet, We will let you know when it arrives". The result, 3 hours delay.

During the flight, I had to take some pills and asked for a cup of water, and the reply was "The lunch will be served in 10 minutes", it took 40 minutes to serve the lunch. I then asked another crew and then the same thing happened.

In SGN, VN provided me a hotel room as my transit time was originally about 8hours. After resting in Ho Chi Minh city, went back to the SGN, it was 1 AM departure, and the flight delayed again. No announcement was made and when it became 4 AM, they said time to start boarding. Everyone was handed a new BP. My sister and I were dead tired and fell into sleep 10 seconds after seated.

I had enough from the first time experience from VN so, will never fly this airline again. I'm very very x 1000 satisfied with SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
            I had enough from the first time experience from VN so, will never fly this airline again. I'm very very x 1000 satisfied with SQ.
            Sorry to hear about your bad experience, lee_apromise. I'm actually contemplating flying VN next month. Given that the itenary may involve connections at SGN, I may think twice about flying with them.
            My Cafe Adventures
            Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
            http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

I've flown VN a few times & been very happy, but that experience sounds a bit crap lee_apromise!

Comment

I only had a chance to fly them once on C class from Hanoi to Hong Kong and I remembered that the service was very similar to those provided by CA or MU - that's acceptable to me for a short flight.

Comment

Working...
                X