Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you advise joining MPC or sticking with QFF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you advise joining MPC or sticking with QFF?

Hi guys,

I fly to CGK-SYD once every month, plus the occassional Europe trips 3-4 times a year. Have just reached PPS January this year (prior to that I fly QF but found their service can't match SQ so I switched).

With the changes, I am beginning to think I should switch and earn back Platinum with QF. I used to appreciate the little touches in SQ, but if they even remove the sticker I think they have gone too far.

It's too bad QF J costs 20% more than SQ...

Question: Should I apply MPO or stick to QF FF? Pros/Cons?

Any thoughts?

AndySYD: could you clarify some things about your travel patterns for us?

On earning:
    • Which airlines would you be most likely to fly?
    • In which cabin would you do most of your flying?

On 'redeeming' (broadly construed):
    • What is the relative weight in your preferences of mileage redemptions vs. status perks (e.g., Emerald vs. Sapphire status; op-up priority)?
    • On which airline would you prefer to redeem?
    • In which cabin would you prefer to redeem? Would you be redeeming not just for yourself but for companions / friends / family as well?

I'm sure I've missed a few clarifying questions, so I'll ask other members to chime in with theirs.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Why not? You might as well since they're waiving the joining fee now for F and J pax.

Comment

Originally posted by kchika View Post
        Why not? You might as well since they're waiving the joining fee now for F and J pax.
        Because, e.g., if ongoing Emerald status perks are relatively more important in one's calculus, and one will fly mostly QF/BA, CX DM is more difficult for F and J pax to attain than QF Plat.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Most likely either QF or CX on J.

Redemption-wise I prefer J in any airlines.

I think one benefit of QF is the nice new SYD F lounge (or Flounge as KeithMel says

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          AndySYD: could you clarify some things about your travel patterns for us?

On earning:
          • Which airlines would you be most likely to fly?
          • In which cabin would you do most of your flying?

On 'redeeming' (broadly construed):
          • What is the relative weight in your preferences of mileage redemptions vs. status perks (e.g., Emerald vs. Sapphire status; op-up priority)?
          • On which airline would you prefer to redeem?
          • In which cabin would you prefer to redeem? Would you be redeeming not just for yourself but for companions / friends / family as well?

I'm sure I've missed a few clarifying questions, so I'll ask other members to chime in with theirs.

Comment

You can also enter said Flounge with any oneworld emerald status, including MPC Diamond status.

As you've indicated that you'd be flying both CX and QF reasonably often, it's safe to presume that you'd be taking reasonable advantage of the benefits specific to the host carrier of your chosen FFP, whether you sign up for MPC or QFF.

As you're based in SYD, one other factor you might wish to consider is the greater availability of co-branded credit cards with QFF.

But IMO, and as jjpb3 has pointed out, you'd need to decide what your priorities are in terms of what you want to get out of an FFP: mileage redemption ratios vs ease of obtaining/retaining status.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 October 2007, 11:18 PM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
              Hi guys,

I fly to CGK-SYD once every month, plus the occassional Europe trips 3-4 times a year. Have just reached PPS January this year (prior to that I fly QF but found their service can't match SQ so I switched).

With the changes, I am beginning to think I should switch and earn back Platinum with QF. I used to appreciate the little touches in SQ, but if they even remove the sticker I think they have gone too far.

It's too bad QF J costs 20% more than SQ...

Question: Should I apply MPO or stick to QF FF? Pros/Cons?

Any thoughts?
              If SQ is cheaper,just go for SQ. MPO is not too good if you fly J or F often. But only postive side of being a DM is bigger chance of upgrading from J to F.

Comment

Originally posted by bugaboo
                hi there,
                where is this waiver found? i can't seem to find it after looking in the traitor air site and googling it.

thanks.
                I've seen FAs running around on my flights inviting J pax to join and they told me they're trying to encourage ppl to join MPO. The paper application form clearly states that joining fee is waived for F and J pax.

Comment

So, the fee is waived only if you join on board or get the form on board?
                  ________
                  LTD CROWN VICTORIA
                  Last edited by oblivious; 10 March 2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious View Post
                    So, the fee is waived only if you join on board or get the form on board?
                    Well one of the FAs told me that they will put a stamp on your application form to verify that you were in F or J. But I'm sure that it will be just as fine if you send in the form with your BP. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X