Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One from the archives: A trip to the middle of nowhere - Urumqi (CZ URC-BJS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One from the archives: A trip to the middle of nowhere - Urumqi (CZ URC-BJS)

This one's a couple of years old, but I just had the photos scanned, thought I might share it with y'all on SQTalk here.

I don't have a whole lot of pictures, but this basically involves riding out on a Boeing 757 from Urumqi to Beijing - a domestic flight well in excess of 4 hours.

A building in the URC airport perimeter. Never mind the english, it's the thought that counts

A China Southern 757. No, it wasn't mine. I just rode in it

A wing view

As we had parked away from the main terminal building, we got a good view of the entire complex

A few minutes after takeoff. Totally stunning views of all them mountains

And finally: A promise kept.
    Here's a pic of a nice chinese chap I met, who insisted I take his pic. I told him I'd put it up on the internet someday... so here it is Wherever you are - this one's for you
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 29 December 2007, 11:14 PM.

Thanks for sharing.
    You are truly one of the most intrepid of SQTalkers.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

You totally blew me away, SQflyergirl! Not just the breathtaking pictures, but also your endless trips to far-flung places, and not least, your willingness to take a photo of a complete stranger, just because he asked! Now, would you be kind enough to bring me on your future trips?
      My Cafe Adventures
      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Oh, no picture of the seat pitch in 1A ?

Thanks for sharing, SQfg!

Comment

Nice pic....Thx for sharing

Comment

Man some of the crazy places some of the people here get to experience...
            Great photos SQFG, but as Jhm said, wheres the seat shot???

Comment

Several people have asked me since I put up this TR. So I'll answer some of those questions here.

Basically, Urumqi is the capital of the Xinjiang Autonomous region
              About 2 million people inhabit Urumqi and maybe there are 26 million people in all of Xinjiang Province. That's 2% of the total population of all China in a land space about 1/6th the size of the total Chinese land area. So it's pretty sparse.

Distances: Almaty-Urumqi-Beijing

It's about 500 miles from Almaty Kazakhstan, and 1500 from Beijing. Because of China's one time zone policy (which is beijingcentric) - you get some rather odd very late sunrises in winter, and also very late sunsets in Summer.

It's BITTERLY cold in winter, think -35c and you won't be far off.

HHonors, SPG, PC, MR junkies need not apply outside of Urumqi. I normally go to a place 2 hours west by car called Shihezi. The equivalent of the Four Seasons there is a hotel called "finance".

Features of this prestigious establishment:
              1) doors that can't lock and swing open from the slightest -35c breeze that happens to come through the halls.
              2) a hot water rationing program that means if you come back late from work and miss the 7-8pm window, you don't take a bath. Come back late 3 days in a row, better have some good perfume.
              3) warm soft toys to keep you company at night - a true touch of class as these are the live rodent variety.
              4) A local variety of Mao Tai (I forget the brand name) that WILL power your car should you ever run out of gas. Rumour has it it will also power the Space Shuttle. Guaranteed sloshing in 3 swigs if you also don't consume no 5) below before you consume this Alcohol-Fuel-Poison hybrid that's sold under the guise of rice wine...
              5) A local variety of Yak Yogurt that is so viscous it coats your stomach lining and gives you temporary impregnability and immunity from no 4) above.

Anyone still want to go?

Comment

... but apart from all that, the food is good ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  ... but apart from all that, the food is good ?
                  It draws a lot of influence from the ethnic uygurs of that area. Horse meat was particularly popular. I had one bite before politely declining the rest of it when I found out what it was. The overall food offering package of that area wasn't quite to my taste, I have to admit.

Comment

SQFlyergirl what is the mainstream dialect in that region? Do they still write in the Uygur script?

Comment

Originally posted by impresta View Post
                      SQFlyergirl what is the mainstream dialect in that region? Do they still write in the Uygur script?
                      Yes they do, but Mandarin is also prevalent. There are also a lot of caucasian looking people - speaking Mandarin in that area, which is a bit strange for me too

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        3) warm soft toys to keep you company at night - a true touch of class as these are the live rodent variety.
                        I love this!!! By the way, did you have a good look at their feet?
                        My Cafe Adventures
                        Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                        http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X