Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feasible for Singapore to have Maglev train to the city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feasible for Singapore to have Maglev train to the city?

As the title suggests, give your views about it. I think even if it's not feasible to have Maglev in Singapore, we should at least have a direct connection between the airport and the city by train.
    We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Can't see it being worth the investment to put in a Maglev train. I think a direct express train would be a good idea but with a taxi into the centre being so cheap and quick I guess there is not much demand for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
      I think even if it's not feasible to have Maglev in Singapore, we should at least have a direct connection between the airport and the city by train.
      Are you talking about avoiding the walk to the opposite platform at Tanah Merah MRT ?

Comment

That would be too expensive and not feasible in Singapore. The operators would have to charge ridiculous fares to re-coup the investment cost. Taxi in Singapore is relatively cheap, compares to say Australia. I, for one, will not bother taking trains from airport to city unless I have no luggage. It is just too hot and humid to pull my heavy luggage around.

On the other hand though, it probably only take 5 minutes or less to get to Orchard from Changi with maglev

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Are you talking about avoiding the walk to the opposite platform at Tanah Merah MRT ?
          LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            Yeah, I find it kind of inconvenient to transfer over at Tanah Merah. Don't you think so?
            We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
              Yeah, I find it kind of inconvenient to transfer over at Tanah Merah. Don't you think so?
              You do get direct connections, perhaps you were not so fortunate those days.

I doubt we can make it meaningful. We don't have any more land to rail it unless we go underground but why put it underground for no-one to see when you can showcase it above ground.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                You do get direct connections, perhaps you were not so fortunate those days.
                Actually they stopped direct connections for some time now, i beleive the reason was there weren't enough pax taking the train to Changi Airport. To go to Changi Airport by MRT requires a transfer at Tanah Merah.

Comment

I've taken the train to and from Changi a couple of times, and, while it may make sense if you are on a shoestring budget, a cab is faster, more convenient, and still relatively cheap. Unless a train can be built that beats the cabs in those three areas, I don't think it'll happen.

Comment

at least there is already a public transport link to the airport, which already puts it miles ahead of some places, like Melbourne, a maglev train would be good for kicks, but there's not enough demand for it IMO

Comment

One of the daftest suggestions I've heard in while. Does anyone think it would be a sensible idea to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a Maglev train that can do speeds of over 400kmh in a country that is 40 miles wide ?.

Comment

I think a Maglev to KL would be far more likely than 1 running from Changi Airport to downtown Singapore. You might hear screams of protests from both national carriers though.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 September 2007, 09:34 PM.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          One of the daftest suggestions I've heard in while. Does anyone think it would be a sensible idea to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a Maglev train that can do speeds of over 400kmh in a country that is 40 miles wide ?.
                          Singapore isn't even 40 miles wide. It's slightly over 40 kilometres wide though. That would make it roughly 30 miles. No wonder Singaporeans are a claustrophobic lot!
                          My Cafe Adventures
                          Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                          http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            Well, maybe not Maglev then. What about normal subway trains with direct connection?

Comment

Trains with direct connection is a good idea. Infrastructure seems to be ready, but SMRT do not find this as a commercially viable options. They used to have direct connections as mentioned, but they stopped it a while ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X