Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starwood Hotel - New York; Where to stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starwood Hotel - New York; Where to stay?

I'm heading to New York just a few days before Christmas. Can anyone recommend a good Starwood hotel to see the sights?

I am planning to walk along the 5th to see the Christmas decor in the shops as well as heading towards the ice rink at Rockefeller building. That's the current plan. Looking at the mapping function, the closest hotel is St Regis but at US$995/night, no way. Others are
    • W New York - Times Square
    • The Westin New York at Times Square
    • Sheraton Manhattan at Times Square

One SQTer recommended W New York - Union Square, which is currently under serious consideration. Anyone here stayed at the other properties and can you comment? Thanks.
    Last edited by SQFAN; 19 September 2007, 06:07 AM. Reason: Correction of one FTer reco

How about the W on Union Square?

The one is Times Square is a fair walk to the Rockefeller Center, but you do have all the tourist hordes in Times Square to contend with, plus the ones that clog Sixth Avenue.

The Union Square area is in a much better neighborhood, and you can take the N/R to 59th Street (you'll land on Fifth Avenue [no 'the' ], right next to Barneys ). Cabs from Union Square to the airport also don't have to contend with crosstown Midtown traffic (not so relevant if you're leaving on an early morning flight). Oh, and I really liked the vibe of that W the best among the NYC W's I've stayed in: a nice combination of hipness and friendliness.

The Westin Times Square is in an uglier neighborhood than the W Times Square (more towards the Port Authority bus terminal). My friend swears by the rooms, but I personally don't like the neighborhood. I think the neighborhood might detract from the Christmas-y feeling you want.

I've never stayed at the Sheraton, but it's the most conveniently located of the options you listed (besides the traffic jams at peak daylight and evening hours). It's also closest to the Trump Plaza on Columbus Circle, which should have some dazzling store displays (not as good as the windows on Barneys, I'm sure).

There are also W's on Lexington Avenue, but the neighborhood is definitely more staid than the others. I also didn't like the atmosphere: I just got the missed-the-mark feeling.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 19 September 2007, 06:20 AM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I've stayed at both the W Times Square and Union Square and agree with jjpb3's recommendation to go with the one at Union Square.

If you definitely want to stay in Times Square, then the W Times Square is your best Starwood choice, IMO.

Comment

I'd agree with the comments from both jjpb3 & MovieMan. I also enjoy staying at W Court & W Tuscany. I've stayed at the Sheraton Towers, and while the location is great, I wouldn't recommend it (same for the Sheraton across the street). I haven't stayed at the W New York (on Lexington), but comments from friends who have stayed there & the stay reviews on other boards I've read have kept me away.

Comment

I stayed at the Westin times Square earlier this year and did not like it at all. The fact they double charged me added to the dislike although in fairness they rectified it pretty quickly. One or two of the SPG properties did have that Golden Glow about them at times.

Comment

My hotel preference is the W on Union Square. It's an older building so the rooms are bigger and as JJPB3 said, it's a nice neighbourhood. It's also my fave W hotel in NY - I'm not a huge fan of W Times Square.
            If you want closer to Times Square, I'd definitely go for the Westin. It's newer than the W, the rooms are nicer (IMHO) and I don't see any real problem with the neighbourhood since since it's an extremely quick walk to Times Square. I've never even thought of the neighbourhood when there & there is a Starbucks right outside the door also which can help on those cold December mornings!

Whether the Ws or Westin, either of them are way more preferable to the Sheratons. You could also consider the Le Meridien on 57th & 5th. The burger bar just off the lobby is fantastic (long queues but well worth it!)

Comment

Thanks for all your quick responses and viewpoints
              I think I know which one I am going for.

Can't wait now....

Comment

I've only stayed once at the W Union Square and apart from being a pleasant stay and location (as advised by jjpb3 and others before I went), they were very responsive to the feedback I gave:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...=7279#post7279

A definite from me!

Comment

Both Ws are pretty cool, but the one at Union Square has the edge in terms of room size, quality of bartenders (yummy lychee martini), and the Union Square/Gramercy neighbourhood has much more character than the Times Square area. Very interesting restaurants around Union Square too.

Nothing is too far from anything else in New York City with the efficient subway network. The W Union Square is just diagonally across the road from the Union Square subway stop and Times Square is just a few stops away on the green line.

If you do choose to stay in Times Square, the W Times Square has a very happening Living Room. The decor is also a bit more interesting, but the rooms are pretty small. There's a Rande Gerber club at this hotel which only goes off at midnight, but these days it's no longer as hot as it used to be. However I really really detest the Times Square area - too crowded and 'plastic' for me.

Alas after all that, I couldn't convince my mum that there's NYC outside Times Square and 5th Avenue so come FEB I'll be stuck in that area... But at least I'll be at the W.

You also have to consider that prices will be very high during the Christmas period, and as such the Sheraton might be good value. But please go for the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, not the Sheraton Manhattan. I've visited people's rooms at both and the Manhattan is truly a flea pit. They usually cost the same (and are located next to each other) but the Sheraton Hotel and Towers is a lot nicer. Unless things have changed post refurbishment of the latter...
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 September 2007, 11:06 AM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    The W Union Square is just diagonally across the road from the Union Square subway stop and Times Square is just a few stops away on the green line.
                    The 4/5/6 (green line) only go up the East side. To get to Times Square, you have to take either the N/R to 42nd Street or take the 4/5/6 to Grand Central (42nd Street) and transfer to the shuttle to Times Square.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      The 4/5/6 (green line) only go up the East side. To get to Times Square, you have to take either the N/R to 42nd Street or take the 4/5/6 to Grand Central (42nd Street) and transfer to the shuttle to Times Square.
                      Leave it to a NY native...
                      Closer to my trip you might be receiving incessant PMs from me on choice locations for mum to part with her cash...
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Talking about NY subway, well, I don't feel safe to try it out. Maybe it's a perception thing and all those stuff I saw on the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          ...very happening ...

You also have to consider that prices will be very high during the Christmas period, ...
                          Gosh, that phrase "very happening" : is that Americanism or Singlish? I have only heard it once in S'pore uttered by a graduate from America. Maybe I should keep up with the times. Another phrase is "My bad".

Thanks again. Yeah, it's Christmas but my craving for Italian confectionery (liked the nougat), plus a potential meetup with a SQT and Christmas atmosphere made me do it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                            Talking about NY subway, well, I don't feel safe to try it out. Maybe it's a perception thing and all those stuff I saw on the TV.
                            It's a perception thing -- particularly since I was suggesting you ride it during the day, and right smack in the middle of Manhattan. It might get dicier late at night out in the fringes of the city.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              It's a perception thing -- particularly since I was suggesting you ride it during the day, and right smack in the middle of Manhattan. It might get dicier late at night out in the fringes of the city.
                              I've ridden on the L train back from Williamsburg at 0400ish... I didn't think much of it at that time, probably because I had quite a few drinks in me. But everyone's telling me that I was very lucky not to have been robbed or anything.

I didn't think 'very happening' is particularly American or Singlish - I've heard it in Australia and elsewhere.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 September 2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X