Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn SQTers with experiences on US-based airlines: which is best in Y?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn SQTers with experiences on US-based airlines: which is best in Y?

I'm realizing that I probably will want to visit a number of US destinations next year*, so some domestic travel will be necessary. My question is two-fold: if you weren't elite, which airline would you, based on your experience and on those of friends whom you trust, recommend as the best in Y? If you *were* at least low-level elite, how would that change your answer?

I'm aware of the E+ option on UA (inaccessible except via checkin lottery for non-UA *G) so I'm particularly interested in thoughts about the others (particularly the ScaryTeam options, as Costa Rica is one of the places I'd like to visit next year*.)

*Why next year? Because my travel calendar is already fully booked this year.

Sorry, I do know the answer is highly dependent on the route. Any thoughts on the long-ish flights (e.g., transcons) would be great, as well as the general experience at the hubs (ease of transfer, likelihood of delay, contingencies for delay, etc.). Apologies if the question still remains overly broad. Any help to make it more manageable would be much appreciated.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

I have found Continental to be fine and I used to enjoy Delta(but this was many years ago). I have always loathed NWA and would do anything to avoid them......I have yet to fly AA , and UA in E- can be quite a drag.......I have also avoided US Scareways in all of it's forms. Mexicana used to have great service.......

Comment

I was on UA's subsiduary Ted. It was pretty good in my POV and there is business class seats if i remember correctly. I don't think they were E+ seats. There was enough leg room for my liking even when I shove my school bag into the front seat compartment. Service was also really fast when they were serving drinks without the cart impeding you if you were on aisle seat.

Comment

TED has no first but does have E+, and to the OP (), perhaps you may know a 1K friend or some such who may be able to gift the gift of 3P..

Comment

jjpb3, I know you've read my TR on VX and without a doubt, I would choose them for transcon. At $800, their F is a STEAL. All other American carriers pale in comparison.

UA's E+ isn't that hard to get at the ticket counter/gate as long as you look nice and not like some sloppy college kid (of course this does not apply to KeithMEL ). I haven't seen any of my "friends" ever get turned down.

As for Costa Rica, you're looking at Continental as one of your only options (as I was told last night ironically by a good friend of mine).
          HUGE AL

Comment

Although I loathe UA compared to SQ, they are good compared to DL and NW for domestic service from my experiences. I use them often for domestic flights. For food, expect pretzels and drinks for flights under 2 1/2 hours, anything over gets an availible snack box for $5. For N.American flights over 4-5 hours such as jfk-sfo, or ord-lax, deli sandwiches and salads can be purchased for similar prices. Just be prepared for unprofessional crew, I find UA crews generally unefficient. There are good ones but United has quite a few bad apples too. I remember once I was flying with my older bro and dad around six years ago. My brother (around 12 at the time) was restrained by the granny and told "let this fine and respectable customer go ahead of you young man! Don't be rude!" When he replied that he was his son, the FA loosened her grasp and and didn't apologize. We resumed our boarding of the 757 with a bad taste in our mouth. Yikes!! But still, overall I find UA a better option than NW or DL. Although some DL planes are now equipped with on-demand pay per view IFE, albeit only a few 757 have them.
            Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

I don't mind NW in Y, because as a GE I almost always get upgraded to domestic F 3 days before the flight (also available to CO Gold, and both airlines will status match to Gold). But I'm pretty much tied to them flying out of DTW, so it shouldn't really count.

Comment

Netjets is US-based........

But seriously........
                I think they're all about the same in Y for UA, US, NW (Only ones I've flown)
                Last edited by 9V-JKL; 17 September 2007, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  UA's E+ isn't that hard to get at the ticket counter/gate as long as you look nice and not like some sloppy college kid (of course this does not apply to KeithMEL ).
                  Flying SIN-KUL today in t-shirt and boardies...

I've not had much experience with domestic flying in the US, and it's been a long time since I've done anything longer than a mid con. The carriers I've flown (UA, US, AA, CO, DL) are pretty much the same - functional, but very little frills. CO seems slightly better than the rest in Y (and that's coming from a status-less ST pax). Or maybe go for BA Gold again using the AA YUP fares? Not to mention the yummy ice cream sundaes on AA F if you've got a longish flight.

I got E+ even after UA removed E+ access for *G, so you could give them a shot.

Amongst all those carriers, the most pleasant and competent ground service I've received is from AA. At the very least, your call will be answered by a US call center. All these might be due to the fact that i'm Platinum on AA. The 500 mile upgrade 'stickers' I get as PLT also keeps me loyal to AA.

VX looks very yummy from HUGE AL's TR - I'd have booked them for LAS-SFO had I known that they're flying that route...
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 September 2007, 11:12 AM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    Not to mention the yummy ice cream sundaes on AA F if you've got a longish flight.
                    Seven years ago, we got Beluga caviar with bellinis in AA transcon F!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    I got E+ even after UA removed E+ access for *G
                    Scratch my comment about the sloppy college kid. As you can see, even KeithMel got E+!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      Scratch my comment about the sloppy college kid. As you can see, even KeithMel got E+!
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the best - so I hear (never having tried it) - way to do a transcon - JFK-YVR in F.

Edit: with the new J/F seats from Nov as well it seems.
                        Last edited by jhm; 17 September 2007, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the best - so I hear (never having tried it) - way to do a transcon - JFK-YVR in F.

Edit: with the new J/F seats from Nov as well it seems.
                          I'm not surprised. The thread is about travelling in Y.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

For a non-elite, I would recommend Southwest (WN) (from personal experience as well as the opinions of others). The booking rules are less complicated, legroom is above average (no meals but they do offer free non-alcoholic drinks and snacks). Even without assigned seating etc., it just seems like better value and less of a hassle. An airline I would like to try is Jetblue.

As for the 'full-service' majors, I tend to choose based on hub airports where I'm going to have to connect. I like NW at DTW and CO at EWR. Inflight service is pretty similar across the board, with CO maybe offering a little more in terms of gratis inflight catering but not the type of food I'd miss anyway. Luck plays a part as well; all these airlines have had disruptions at one time or another due to labor issues etc., and that's when things start to get hellish.

Comment

jjpb3, my vote goes to CO based on actual experience , though small sample size of a few CO, one AA and one UA ( UA F thanks to a Guardian Angel for the upgrade ).

Not sure if CO still do this but at EWR they used to provide free magazines that you can take as many different copies as you want. Have also tried CO from LHR - EWR way back. Inflight service in Y was good and better than the AA J.

Comment

Working...
                              X