Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get 19000 miles?

Dear all,

I need to get 19000 KF miles for an upgrade, yes I know that I can buy them as I am within the 70% limit but I would prefer to fly...

I am based in the UK and am KF EG so get the 25% bonus on Y seats.

I need to do this as cheap as possible though. Any thoughts?
    I was thinking LON-SIN-KUL-SIN-LON and doing the KL section in 1st, never done it before!!!

Or should I fly to FRA then to SIN - not travelled on a 77W yet either!!!

Thanks

Clowesy
    Last edited by FlyingDobber; 13 September 2007, 01:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

I think the cheapest would be to go to a SE Asian destination all the way in economy. There are some promotional fares from LHR and MAN right now if the outbound travel is on or before 30 Nov (but the fares aren't available on some dates).

By the way, I don't think the LHR-SIN-KUL-SIN-LHR routing would give you 19000 miles, even with your EG bonus. It's less than 17600 miles by my calculation (LHR-SIN is 6761 miles, and SIN-KUL in F is 276).
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      I think the cheapest would be to go to a SE Asian destination all the way in economy. There are some promotional fares from LHR and MAN right now if the outbound travel is on or before 30 Nov (but the fares aren't available on some dates).

By the way, I don't think the LHR-SIN-KUL-SIN-LHR routing would give you 19000 miles, even with your EG bonus. It's less than 17600 miles by my calculation (LHR-SIN is 6761 miles, and SIN-KUL in F is 276).
      OOops, your right, maybe I should just get a cheapo flight within euro on LH to cover or I could buy the rest? I just wanted to do the F thing...I have looked at those fares but none seem to be available when I want to fly!!!

If I do a turnaround from MAN for eg then I would arrive SIN in the morning, get an F ticket to KUL in the afternoon then I can shower, eat and drink in the F part of the SKL? Otherwise I am in the transit hotel or the ok ish *G lounge.
      Last edited by FlyingDobber; 13 September 2007, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDobber View Post
        OOops, your right, maybe I should just get a cheapo flight within euro on LH to cover or I could buy the rest?
        The first problem with cheap flights within Europe is they don't get 100% miles, and that will whack you when combined with the no-minimum-mileage condition of KrisFlyer. The second problem is after you experience SIN-KUL in F, you'll be spoiled about what can be achieved on a short hop. Intra-Europe hops won't feel the same again.

IMHO, if you're missing just a couple of thousand miles, it will be less hassle just to buy the missing miles.
        Last edited by jjpb3; 13 September 2007, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Sorry see my edited post above...

Comment

If I do a turnaround from MAN for eg then I would arrive SIN in the morning, get an F ticket to KUL in the afternoon then I can shower, eat and drink in the F part of the SKL?
            Yes you'll have access to the F side of the SKL.

EDIT based on Clowesy's edit: Yes, I recommend experiencing the shuttle, and then buying the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              Yes you'll have access to the F side of the SKL.
              It might make a 27 hours in the air a little more bearable..."free" chamapgne...plus a quick flight chucked in. I understand what you are syaing about the F experience then back into Y for the flight home. I think it is cheaper doing it this way - Y to J upgrade than buying a J class ticket from LON-AKL.

Thanks for your help

Clowesy.

PS I posted this on "another" board, is this considered the right etiquette?

Comment

PS I posted this on "another" board, is this considered the right etiquette?
                We don't mind. You should get as varied a set of perspectives as you can.

Comment

Isn't it the Y fares LHR-SIN-LHR is almost as much as LHR-SIN-SYD-SIN-LHR, or the same as LHR-SIN-BKK-SIN-LHR?
                  It's worth to calculate the cost per mile earned.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                    Isn't it the Y fares LHR-SIN-LHR is almost as much as LHR-SIN-SYD-SIN-LHR, or the same as LHR-SIN-BKK-SIN-LHR?
                    It's worth to calculate the cost per mile earned.
                    Hmm, not thought of that either - I am obviously pretty useless at this sort of thing.

Will look through the SQ booking site. So fa it is about £600 for the LHR-SIN-LHR flight.

Much cheaper than buying a J, probably cheaper to buy the miles
                    but flying is a much nicer option.

Comment

Well, having so much fun in Singapore, would be nice. And if you like to go shopping, perhaps that fares will make up for how expensive UK is.

Comment

CGK's point was the reason I had suggested SE Asian destinations: you can do a turnaround or short hop. I've consistently found that adding, say, BKK or DPS adds very little money to LHR-SIN-LHR. If you do LHR-SIN-BKK or DPS return, for example, you'll get the 19,000 miles because of your EG bonus. It's doable over a long weekend,and this is one of the two times of the year (the other is spring) when the LHR-SE Asia fares are very reasonable.

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                        Well, having so much fun in Singapore, would be nice. And if you like to go shopping, perhaps that fares will make up for how expensive UK is.
                        That's how I justify weekend hops to Singapore / SE Asia rather than Europe.

Comment

I bought a lens for my camera last month £120 equiv in SQD £230 in the UK.

Taxes for flights are also a big chunk of the fare...

Comment

And also remember that at least you are adding your elite qualifying miles into your account, while doing a paid up $$$, you will not earn that EQM.
                            And of course, it would be great if you can meet other SQTalkers in your run. On the ground or even in the air.

Comment

Once I have finalised then I will post my timings and dtaes - good to meet up with any SQTalkers.

I am "running" so to get a Y to J upgrade so I can earn miles and EQM's. My last visit to AKL gave me enough to requalify for KF EG 9 months early!
                              I will never get to PPS - I am the one who has to pay!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X