Should I stay at a LHR hotel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I stay at a LHR hotel?

Arriving into Gatwick at 2345 on Saturday night. Flying out the next day from Heathrow T3 at 1140.

What would you do?

a) Take the National Express coach across to Heathrow and stay at one of the airside hotels (either Hilton or Yotel at T4 if it's open by then). The next coach departure after my arrival is at 0200. Hmm do I get the coach discount if my arrival into LGW is on BA (GB airways) but departing flight from LHR is on AA?

b) Stay in Central London (and possibly hang out...). I think the Gatwick Express is still operating when I arrive.

Would appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 September 2007, 12:59 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Putting 'Saturday night.' after '..Heathrow T3 at 1140' is a bit confusing for me. Are you refering to 1140pm on Sun?

I assume you will arrive on Sat night LGW 2345hrs then depart Sunday morning 1140hrs.

LGW to LHR is about 1hr. IIRC, LGW to London is about the same as well. So, you're not losing much there.

The question is your expected physical state when you arrive at LGW? If you can party (you young thing), then head into London and meet up/party... but you do not have much time as your next morning flight is 1140hrs...Sunday can be bad for the underground/rail engineering works.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
      I assume you will arrive on Sat night LGW 2345hrs then depart Sunday morning 1140hrs.
      That's correct. I've rectified the wording.

Hm if my flight out is at 1140 then I guess I'll need to be at LHR by 0940.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        That's correct. I've rectified the wording.

Hm if my flight out is at 1140 then I guess I'll need to be at LHR by 0940.
        Well, Paddington Express takes only 15mins to LHR from Paddingon and if you OLCI, you can push the envelope out. The other question is : will your buddies meet you early on a Sunday morning?

I would suggest you head over to the London Transport website to see which tube lines are affected by engineering works. In that way, you can optimise the timing as well as your hotel location. Currently, there are restrictions to the Circle & District lines for the first 2 weeks in Sept.
        Last edited by SQFAN; 6 September 2007, 06:58 AM. Reason: Further info

Comment

By the time you get into Central London, the nightlife will have shifted to the clubs. You can probably still do it, but I couldn't party and then travel in the morning the next day. It would require an all-nighter.

I'd personally put the priority on sleep and getting to T3 on time. I would try to find a reasonably priced hotel near Paddington or towards the west (e.g., myhotel in Chelsea), and then either HEX it or cab it to LHR around 0900 (I never enjoy rushing to the departure gate). If you're flying OW, there's decent food in the CX lounge, or if you're on a *A flight, in the SKL.
          Last edited by jjpb3; 6 September 2007, 05:51 AM.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I would probably head over to LHR. Even if the Gatwick express is still working by the time you get into London a lot will be shut and there will be limited public transport which you will have to share with all the drunks going home after a night out.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I think I might get a cheap-ish hotel in Central London near the HEX as jjpb3 suggested. The thought of waiting around LGW till 0200 for the coach is a bit daunting. So I'm thinking of dumping all my stuff at a hotel, go out till dawn (hey it's a Sat night and the alcohol curfew is gone apparently...), then shower, check out, head to LHR, and collapse onboard.

Or do they have lockers at Paddington station? And good showers in the CX/AA Flounges? If it's a yes to both I could do without the hotel altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                I couldn't party and then travel in the morning the next day. It would require an all-nighter.

I'd personally put the priority on sleep and getting to T3 on time.
                Lightweight!.

My first piece of advice would be to avoid both airports completely. They're both awful at the moment. LCY on the other hand is still a joy, for now...

I agree being near Paddington would be handy for the HEX and there are two Hiltons nearby where the prices can fluctuate wildly and you may get a great rate. The Paddington which is above the station itself and the Metropole which is a 6-7 minute walk away.

A couple of the SPG properties are handy for the Piccadilly line to LHR, but again the rates may be high.

Can't you pick a better/easier European hub to transit ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  Can't you pick a better/easier European hub to transit ?.
                  LHR-LAX is one of the few routes on which I can EVIP myself to F.
                  I was also going to spend a few more days in London until I gave in to peer pressure and decided to make a sidetrip to Malta.
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 September 2007, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I hope the GEX is working for my sake as well as KeithMEL's! If it's not working at the time we arrive, I'm sure there'll be arrangements to get everyone to central London.

Comment

Ooops, just remembered that KeithMEL is coming back a day early so he may be the only one on the flight to LGW.

Or do they have lockers at Paddington station?
                      There is a left luggage facility but it closes at 11pm:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/935.aspx
                      http://www.excess-baggage.com/statio...php#paddington

And good showers in the CX/AA Flounges?
                      I seem to recall that there are showers in the CX lounge - not sure whether they're good showers though!

Comment

Looks like I'd just have to get a cheap hotel room just to store my stuff then. And shower.

Comment

On 2nd thought - sleep does sound good. Wouldn't want to miss the ice cream sundAAe.

I was just wondering what people think of spending the night at LGW (Hilton probably, no spg?? ), then take the coach over to LHR the following morning? This option would maximise sleep time and would be more cost effective as I wouldn't need to bother with both GEX and HEX.

Also - will I get the discounted coach fare with an incoming BA BP but outgoing AA flight?
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 September 2007, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X