Flying SQ again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying SQ again

I didn't think I had a chance to requalify for PPS with my relocation to BRU, but it looks like I have some travel to Asia lined up and I'm trying to shift them all to SQ both for personal reasons (stopover in SIN for friends/family) and to attempt to requalify for PPS. It looks like I will probably sneak in just before my Feb08 expiration! Even if I don't, I'll easily requalify for LH Senator - which unfortunately has the same expiry date so I really do need these SQ flights to maintain status SOMEWHERE!

Then I thought about it, and I don't even know why I'm bothering to requal for PPS - no more lounge access 'upgrade' etc, and the lounge crowd sounds terrible! The only thing keeping me on SQ is that the popular corporate airline for my base station is KLM and just the thought is enough to give me the heebie-jeebies! I'm fortunate though that SQ is pricing out very competitively against KLM so I can justify that to the company.

Now, to clear my AMS-SIN waitlist (see, nobody wants to fly KLM), and to start reading up and remembering all these PPS changes! I haven't been keeping up at all for months!

Originally posted by fimo View Post
    The only thing keeping me on SQ is that the popular corporate airline for my base station is KLM and just the thought is enough to give me the heebie-jeebies! I'm fortunate though that SQ is pricing out very competitively against KLM so I can justify that to the company.
    I'd feel the same way! I hope you keep the number-crunchers at bay, fimo.
    Now, to clear my AMS-SIN waitlist (see, nobody wants to fly KLM), and to start reading up and remembering all these PPS changes! I haven't been keeping up at all for months!
    I'd go for the QPP/SEN double dip at this point. If your company will fly you in J to Asia, you'll be on equal stead with the unfortunate SQKF QPPs as far as checkin privileges and lounge access are concerned. You could be QPP and SEN, so you can have recourse to a PPS coordinator (not in the UK) who can expedite clearing waitlists? Within Europe, from what I've seen (very anecdotal, you see), being SEN is a tangible benefit.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      I'd feel the same way! I hope you keep the number-crunchers at bay, fimo.
      Tellmeabowdit. It practically keeps me up nights!

I'd go for the QPP/SEN double dip at this point. If your company will fly you in J to Asia, you'll be on equal stead with the unfortunate SQKF QPPs as far as checkin privileges and lounge access are concerned. You could be QPP and SEN, so you can have recourse to a PPS coordinator (not in the UK) who can expedite clearing waitlists? Within Europe, from what I've seen (very anecdotal, you see), being SEN is a tangible benefit.
      Yep, I'm sticking to my double dip routine. I'd quite forgotten how many miles I'd loaded up there till I checked last week, I still have those upgrade vouchers! That'll be handy for my EU travels in the coming year some. And I really need to get my SEN status because I cannot be sure to requal PPS for 2009 and at least SEN gives 2 year status so I'd be buffered from the unwashed masses for a year . Anyway my PPSaccount is still SIN based, I don't see the point of moving my address to BRU if it isn't an SQ base anyway.

Comment

at least SEN gives 2 year status so I'd be buffered from the unwashed masses for a year .
        I'm one of them , even if I might be in a suit and tie. May I get an acknowledgment if I wave to you in FRA, MUN, ZRH, or CPH?

(I know you'd be cool, fimo. Just ribbin' ya. )
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Why not trying to get waitlisted for FRA-SIN SQ325 as well? The new J is worth the hassle of FRA connection.
          And another reminder, if you are near to your TPP, it will help in the future to be able to use SKL F instead of C as QPP.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
            Why not trying to get waitlisted for FRA-SIN SQ325 as well? The new J is worth the hassle of FRA connection.
            And another reminder, if you are near to your TPP, it will help in the future to be able to use SKL F instead of C as QPP.
            Hi CGK!

I would.... but I'm already ticketed for AMS-SIN! I got a RT ticket when I moved since I get 1 trip home a year, and figured it was a better guarantee of flying SQ again. Heh. I am definitely routing SIN-FRA on the way back though, it's a better timing anyway as I'll have an extra half day in Singapore and still return to BRU before Monday.

And thanks for the reminder... I am about $37K away from Solitaire. Doable ... but we'll have to see WHEN!

Comment

Hello fimo. It's a shame they stopped flying to BRU during SARS if you're now based there as that would be rather handy!. A number of my early MAN-SIN vv flights went via BRU.

Having said that Schiphol is well connected by rail so it shouldn't take long to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                Hello fimo. It's a shame they stopped flying to BRU during SARS if you're now based there as that would be rather handy!. A number of my early MAN-SIN vv flights went via BRU.

Having said that Schiphol is well connected by rail so it shouldn't take long to get there.
                Yeah, I remember taking 1 SIN-BRU direct before they took it off due to SARS. They still fly cargo there so there's a chance they'll be back, though I'm not holding my breath.

Given how busy AMS is, I am probably going to route all my travel via FRA. With 2 flights a day, additional miles and access to the 77W planes - more than makes up for the difficulty of getting a seat on AMS and having to deal with a connecting flight. And I'm booking my x'mas flights home now because this waitlist business sux. I am on waitlist AMS-SIN, and SIN-FRA back. Grr. I'm not bothering to w/l SIN-AMS because with just 3 weeks it'd be impossible to clear.
                Last edited by fimo; 4 September 2007, 12:39 AM.

Comment

BRU is 'on the list' apparently, along with 3 x additional weekly MAN, daily CPH etc etc... No spare birds unfortunately.

Another option for you to consider may be CDG. I know it's bloody awful place but they are getting some additional weekly flights and all on the 77W.

I quite like the SKL at Schiphol. I used to use it when flying KL. It's open for 3 hours a day just to serve a single daily flight. Yep, an SKL for just one flight a day. BKK with all those flights and no SKL. You can see how the priorities have changed under this regime....

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    BRU is 'on the list' apparently, along with 3 x additional weekly MAN, daily CPH etc etc... No spare birds unfortunately.

Another option for you to consider may be CDG. I know it's bloody awful place but they are getting some additional weekly flights and all on the 77W.

I quite like the SKL at Schiphol. I used to use it when flying KL. It's open for 3 hours a day just to serve a single daily flight. Yep, an SKL for just one flight a day. BKK with all those flights and no SKL. You can see how the priorities have changed under this regime....
                    Ooh, maybe there will be a slim chance of flying direct to/fro BRU before I finish my assignment! I do like Schiphol a lot, I just really dislike the difficulty of getting seats. And I'd really rather not have my corporate agent offer me KLM as an alternative and not having a good excuse to say no. At least via FRA the alternative is LH and I could live with that. I confess that the other reason for sticking to FRA is the connection on LH and the nice 2000 miles that a J flight gives. That's been a great way to pad my M&M account!

If SQ is adding flights to CDG that is an additional routing to consider. But then I lived in France for 2 years and I have suffered enough of the vulnerability of mass transportation systems to strikes. CDG is with LHR (and all of US) as airports to steer clear of!

Comment

So this is what happens when one starts flying SQ (or trying to) again. I post too much

My corporate TA keeps booking me on the SIN-FRA SQ flight on LH code share. This is a definite no-no for my PPS status! But how do I nudge them to put me on SQ without sound super lame - it IS THE SAME FLIGHT after all. Plus I am connecting to an LH flight so a LH ticket makes sense and I do have LH status.

Geez... the lengths I go for SQ (who doesn't love me either).

Comment

My corporate TA keeps booking me on the SIN-FRA SQ flight on LH code share. This is a definite no-no for my PPS status!
                        ... under the old system but not under the brave new PPS world post 1-Sept. Now, for purposes of PPS value, it's only relevant that it's on SQ metal - no need to worry about the flight number.
                        Last edited by jhm; 4 September 2007, 12:54 AM.

Comment

From the SQ website's FAQ:

Will PPS Value be credited for codeshare flights?

When you travel on a codeshare flight (in First or Business Class), you will accrue PPS Value only if the codeshare flight is operated by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir (that is, the flight is on a Singapore Airlines or SilkAir aircraft) and has a KrisFlyer partner airline’s flight number.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            ... under the old system but not under the brave new PPS world post 1-Sept. Now, for purposes of PPS value, it's only relevant that its on SQ metal - no need to worry about the flight number.
                            Really? REALLY? You're not just having a go at me?

Boy I got a LOT to catch up on.... at least 4mths worth of news and info.

ETA: Thanks jhm!! I can rest easy now...
                            Last edited by fimo; 4 September 2007, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X