Uniquely Singapore? Comparing SE Asia tourism ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniquely Singapore? Comparing SE Asia tourism ads

These are some ads to promote Singapore. Not sure whether are they new or old, but I think it's kind of lame. So here you go:

Well, maybe this is okay...

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

But what is this?!?!

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

*rolls eyes* Look at comercials from our neighbouring countries.

Malaysia Truly Asia - TVC 2007

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    I AGREE

Indonesia - TVC 2007

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    I AGREE

Amazing Thailand - TVC 1999

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    I AGREE

See, get what I mean? Like what has spikey bras got to do with Singapore? Are they trying to promote Singaporean girls as kinky and Singapore as a risque city or what? Well, maybe that's their aim, to attract more horny tourist to organise sex tours to Singapore. Yah, must be!
    We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Hmmm... from my vantage point, it didn't seem the Singapore ad was about spikey bras! It asked about 'what would you bring home'. The point, to me, was that as exotic and sexy as EZE might be, there were many other things that would bring make someone consider Singapore memorable.

I haven't seen spikey-haired Singaporeans so I can't vouch for the images in the ad.

I think the appeal of an ad depends in large part on the intended audience: the better focused the ad is, the higher the likelihood that it won't appeal to someone who's just a general, potential consumer. For example, I'm not sure how the following ad would appeal to non-Filipinos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRgS8iHMsw

but it sure does touch me at my core -- and makes me want to go back to the Philippines.

Note: "Halika (tara na), biyahe tayo" = [roughly] "Come on (let's go), let's take a trip."
    Last edited by jjpb3; 28 August 2007, 06:06 AM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      I think the appeal of an ad depends in large part on the intended audience: the better focused the ad is, the higher the likelihood that it won't appeal to someone who's just a general, potential consumer. For example, I'm not sure how the following ad would appeal to non-Filipinos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRgS8iHMsw

but it sure does touch me at my core -- and makes me want to go back to the Philippines.
      Nice advert but the text at the end (tourism) seems to indicate that it is meant to be targeted at non-Filipinos ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Nice advert but the text at the end (tourism) seems to indicate that it is meant to be targeted at non-Filipinos ?
        Not really. Filipinos who have immigrated are in that grey ground between foreigners and those who continue to hold citizenship. The lyrics of the song talk of taking a trip to get to know better one's fellow Filipinos ("nang makilala nang husto ang ating kapwa Pilipino"). I don't think non-Filipinos are included in that message.

(Tagalog makes a distinction between 'we' that includes the person being spoken to and 'we' that excludes him or her. Given that most foreigners don't speak Tagalog, I think it's safe to assume that the 'we' in the song is meant for Filipinos.)
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
        X