• Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines 77W: A great way to fly - Even in Y

Flight: SQ325
    Route: Frankfurt-Singapore
    Reg: 9V-SWA
    Dep FRA: 2225HR
    Arr SIN: 1625 +1

This is my first flight report on SQtalk. I know most members here would wince at the thought of flying in Y. This report aims to tell the world that there's hope in Y!! Here goes...

Singapore Airline’s newest addition, the B777-300ER, has been the talk of town since it was introduced into its fleet late last year. Many have raved about the sheer spaciousness of its First and Business class cabins, and a number of detailed reports had been written about these premium cabins.

With an entitlement to travel only cattle class (yes stingy clients this time), and the fact that there has been no trip report on SQ’s new economy class product on the B77W, made me eager to find out how the product on their 77W compared with the competition. This report is in fact the final leg of a recent business trip that brought me from Singapore-Frankfurt-Tripoli-Benghazi-Tripoli-Frankfurt-Singapore.

I was naturally elated to discover that the final leg of my journey would be on the 77W! Unfortunately, my travel agent faced much difficulty confirming me on SQ for the FRA-SIN sector, which would then mean that I would have to miss the opportunity to experience this new product to settle for LH which I already had confirmed reservations on.

Without any intention to put LH down, but really, there’s simply no comparison between SQ and LH’s Y class product. The idea of flying LH for 12 straight hours without PTV or subservient Singapore Girls to ensure that everyone was well hydrated and fed and (short of giving me a foot massage) that we have a comfortable flight was daunting…

Alas, I was still unable to confirm my flights on SQ the day I was supposed to have my tickets issued. At the same time, I risked losing my reservations on LH if I did not have the tickets issued by the end of the day. The clock was ticking, and I had to decide quickly if I was to go with SQ (with the final sector waitlisted) or to issue my tickets on LH… I decided to play the waiting game, and asked my travel agent to hold her horses while I made desperate calls to friends at SQ and sought their help to DAPO (“do all possible” in SQ lingo).

I received a call from my agent an hour later to inform me that my booking on SQ325 out of Frankfurt had miraculously been confirmed!! I knew at that point that I would have to make a little trip to the Caviar House at Frankfurt Airport to get my ‘guardian angels’ some good ol’ caviar…

Fast-forward a week later, where I was back in Frankfurt after spending 4 grueling days in Libya. It has been years since I last set foot on German soil and nothing much has changed. Frankfurt airport was anything people friendly.

With major renovations on-going, parts of the airport were boarded up, and directional signs were deemed useless as many a times, they led passengers to boarded walls which were original exits leading to various satellites. Confusing was an understatement. It took significant effort for anyone to locate their connecting gates. I travel often enough to know, intuitively, where to go to at any airport, but FRA, at this point in time just seemed to defy logic. There were transfer counters everywhere, but finding one that was opened was in itself extremely challenging. I have to confess that I lost my way twice while at FRA - or perhaps I just have a poor sense of direction!?

The first time I got lost happened after my flight from SIN, where I spent almost an hour searching for a transfer counter to have my boarding pass for my onward flight to Tripoli issued. The second time happened after I arrived from Tripoli, where several backtracks later, I was told by an unsmiling LH ground staff that to get my boarding pass on SQ325, I could either go to the gate 2 hours before the flight, or clear immigration and proceed to the land-side check in counters which would open 4 hours before the flight. I chose the latter option. Getting through immigration was yet another chore. Because I had just arrived from Tripoli, I was subjected to further interrogation by a “not-so-friendly” immigration officer. Actually, I would consider his demeanor downright rude and condescending!

Then again, FRA airport staff were on most occasions, nonchalant or rude – this was most evident at security check points where passengers were shouted at, and treated with ‘disdain’. Yes the word is ‘disdain’. One was made to feel that they either hated their job so much, or they really hated the passengers that they had to deal with.

In all, transiting through FRA was definitely not a pleasant experience, and I would avoid passing through this airport in future if I can help it.

To cut a long story short, I got into Frankfurt for a look see and at the same time collect my boarding pass from the SQ check in counter.

Frankfurt Airport: Land of Lufthansa!

Having had enough to see, and having been warned by friends that clearing security at FRA could potentially be a nightmare, I proceeded back into the airport. They were right! Appearing before me were snaking queues of passengers waiting to clear security checks just before immigration. There were at least 200 passengers waiting to be processed! I was secretly glad that I heeded my friends’ advice. The security checks were definitely thorough. Belts, watches had to be removed, pockets emptied, laptops removed from the bags, shoes scanned and groin groped by an officer with an Elvis hairdo!!. I understand the need for security checks in this day and age, but the abiding crowd and shouting security officers somehow reminded me of a scene from Schindler’s List!

It took me some 30 min before I was back in the main air-side shopping area. I managed to get the caviar that I promised my friends, as well as 2 BOSS belts – just to give myself a little treat for having gone through a difficult week in Libya

Satellite B – Where SQ325 was to depart from.

With my shopping list completely ticked, I checked out the Lufthansa Senator Lounge where I waited out the remaining hours before my flight. It was nowhere as elaborate as the Silver Kris Lounges or *A lounges that I have seen around the world. However, the German meats and dessert on offer were quite scrumptious!

I managed to get some work done while relaxing in the lounge before proceeding to gate B46. Boarding by rows had already commenced by the time I got there. My excitement grew as I proceeded down the aerobridge and made my way into SQ’s first 77W – 9VSWA, turned right past the gigantic Business Seats before reaching my seat - 46A. Great! A window seat with the middle seat blocked off (this was my lucky night as I was told that there were less than 10 empty seats in Y class)

Comment

Shots of the ultra cozy and spacious new Y class product…

The personal reading light located just under the PTV screen comes with 3 adjustable levels of brightness. Why didn’t anyone think of this earlier?

..the rest of the in-seat features…

A Qwerty keypad on the other side of the console.

Spectacle and cup holder.

The office software provided by Sun Microsystems, and an instruction manual on how to use it.

New wall panel motif…

I’m not too sure what the seat pitch was, but it definitely felt wider than the 33 inch that I’m used to on their 772ER aircrafts. It felt 34 inch cos I was actually able to cross my legs quite comfortably when seated! And I know some people have commented how awful the new carpets on 77W look, but I do think they look great…rather similar to those on AF I say. It certainly breaks the monotony of monochrome carpets on most aircrafts!

Comment

Plush pillows with new and softer covers were placed on every seat. They looked much better than the pink ones on the rest of the fleet. The fleece blanket was also nice and warm - and most important of all, one does not get hit by the static that seems to happen to me all too often with the wool ones that are as thin as paper.

The light but thick fleece blanket is on the left of the cabin floor

Soft plush pillows

It was pouring heavily when the powerful GE90 engines spooled up. I’m not sure if this is a characteristic of the GE engines, but the noise was almost deafening as they spooled up; so much so that the inflight announcements became inaudible, and the cabin vibrated throughout. The noise and vibration lasted a good 2 minutes before they quietened down.

SQ325 thundered down the runway for a good 1 min or more before lifting up into the wet and dark skies. Heavy turbulence swayed the aircraft around for a substantial amount of time before the seat belt signs were finally switched off. English and German announcements were made for all passengers to remain seated while the cabin crew went about their duties. Speaking of which, there were 2 German speaking cabin crew who spoke German on this evening’s flight, a leading steward and a flight stewardess. The stewardess made most of the German announcements, while the steward made the occasional announcements to request passengers to buckle up during turbulence. Truth be told, the steward’s German announcement sounded rather authentic to me (I don’t speak German, but I’ve heard the enough announcements on Lufthansa during this trip to know how German should sound like). On the other hand, the stewardess’ German announcements were jarring. How should I put this nicely… For the Singaporeans here, perhaps you’ll understand what I am saying. Try imagining an Ah Lian/Huey speaking German with very strong Singaporean accent (not Singlish). Yes, the Singapore 'Gers' have struck again… this time in German!!

The crew swung into action, distributing menus and amenity kits as soon as the a/c leveled off. Now, it seems that apart from the menus, everything on the 77W had been ‘upgraded’, from pillows and blankets right down to the amenity kits! Here’s the proof –

Menu: Similar to those on every other non-77W operated flight.

New Givenchy Amenity kit: Available only on 77W operated flight.

New sockettes and toothbrush sets! Interestingly toothbrush sets are no longer provided in the lavatories on flights where amenity kits are provided – only shaving kits are available. Same occurance on SQ26 (so it's not just a 77W phenomenon).

After takeoff beverages and peanuts were handed out by the crew on a tray. White wine, orange juice and beer were on offer. I resisted asking for anything that was not on the tray as I was occupied checking out the surroundings like a 3 year old.

The foldable table provided much more space and comfort. EK has had this for ages, and I’m surprised it took SQ so long to discover the benefits of this design. The rectangular indent on the right side of the tray can be slide open to reveal a mirror...

Just adjust the angle of the tray table to see yourself in the mirror.

Comment

Dinner was served about an hour into the flight. New cutlery and servicewares exclusively on 77W operated flights! They look real simple but classy compared to the standard ones!

As with most ultra-long haul flights on SQ, three mains were available tonight.

DINNER
          Appetiser: Smoked Salmon with leek salad – a thick slab of salmon at that!

Kang Gai – Siamese style chicken curry served with selected vegetables and steamed rice ( I don’t recall why I chose this, but it tasted great, albeit not as authentic as those you find in BKK or SIN)

Other mains on offer were:
          # Beef fillet with rosemary sauce, assorted vegetables and sautéed potato with onion.
          # Chinese style braised fish fillet in preserved black bean sauce, seasonable vegetables and steamed rice.

Cheese & crackers and roll and butter

Dessert: Ice Cream

Kaffee or Tee

For those who are interested in details, here’re some close-ups of the new wavy-edged serviceware.

Dinner service was slow, and it was almost 1am (Frankfurt time) by the time the dinner service and several coffee/tea refills ended and cleared. The mandatory trip to the lavatory before turning in for the night was made… No sanitary pad absorbency tests were made, so the subsequent pictures are alright for general viewing.

The new lavatories were decently furnished and equipped, sans the toothbrush sets which are already in your personal amenity kits. I believe the premium cabins have better looking sinks.

Comment

Cabin lights were dimmed as I popped a sleeping pill and checked out some hotel deals from Business Traveller. The personal reading lights were unintrusive and provided sufficient lighting even in the pitch dark cabin.

I knocked out completely as the sleeping pill kicked in, missing the mid-flight snacks that were handed out.
            SNACK MENU:
            Sandwiches – savory and vegetarian sandwich
            Snacks – Roasted peanuts, Bread Stick Snack, Wafer Biscuit, Potato Chips, Assorted Sweet Biscuits and Fruit.

1.5 hrs into SIN, the cabin lights were re-illuminated and the “before touch down” meal service commenced. This was essentially breakfast, but it was 3pm in SIN so I opted for the noodles instead of scrambled eggs.

BEFORE TOUCH DOWN

Fresh fruit plate

Wholesome beginnings: Braised egg noodles with minced beef in oriental sauce and vegetables – the meal came with a tiny tub of sweet chilli sauce (It wasn’t bad at all and the portions were substantial. The size of the main casserole was 1/3 larger than the one served during dinner)

Butter/Fruit Preserve and yoghurt

Breakfast, or rather “Before Touch Down” was cleared just as the aircraft started its decent. And it was at this point that the batteries in my camera died.

SQ325 touched down in rainy Singapore right on schedule after an 11 hr 30min journey from an equally rainy Frankfurt.

The service on this flight was almost impeccable, if not for the Singaporean sounding German announcements made by the aforementioned flight stewardess.

What impressed me most were the enhanced spaciousness and comfort level that the Y class seats offered, as well as the new soothing color tones in the cabin. They are miles ahead of what SQ offers on their other 777 fleet and 744s. It's good to know that SQ still attempts to give cattle class human-being something to look forward to.

I believe the new A380 aircrafts will offer the same Y seats, with perhaps even more personal space. I’m glad I made it on this flight, and did not have to settle for LH’s 744 if my bookings on SQ had not materialized, and had the opportunity to experience a truly GREAT WAY TO FLY. Now, if only I can get myself on the A345…

I hope my report has given you an insight into SQ’s latest inflight product. Comments are welcomed.

Comment

Fantastic pics and report icn.sg -great to hear about 77W Y class finally

Comment

Thanks for the TR and pictures, icn.sg! I love the look of the new Y in the 77W which I haven't been lucky enough to try yet; plus I like the little touches which distinguish SQ from other airlines, e.g. the Givency amenity kit, the KrisWorld system and a menu in Y. The food looks pretty filling and tasty as well.

Comment

Great TR, icn.sg! Thank you !
                  There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                  If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Excellent trip report: high-quality pictures and the commentary to match!

The breakfast looked yummy (and I consider SQ's breakfast food in Y to be one level above that of its competitors).
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Great Report! I've been waiting for a detailed long-haul report on the B77W in Y! I love the the details, such as the new stylish serviceware, givenchy amenity kit, and the designer blankets and pillows. Very spacious and the food portions looked generous. Combine that with the new ambient lighting, KrisWorld, and the usual SIA service, and the new Y looks like a true Great Way to Fly once again!(Since the B744 Y has been outdone by shock! horror! MH) And btw, the pitch is still 32 inches but somehow they designed to give it the space of 34 in.? The width is 19 inches I think, so that's 2 more than the other Y seats.
                      Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Thanks for the fine TR, icn.sg. Your dinner seemed like the one I had in the same flight but I have to admit it was not to my taste as it was rather bland.

BTW, can I ask what were you doing in Tripoli for 4 grueling days?

Comment

Thanks for the trip report, icn.sg. It looks like that the economy class in SQ is much more bearable than ever before... ^_^

Comment

excellent report. I'd already read it on A.net - excellent nonetheless.

Comment

Thanks for sharing icn.sg I read it on A.Net too.

Its nice to know that SQ have upgraded the Y amenity kit bag from the plastic bag of old

Comment

Working...
                              X