Better lifestyle privileges wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better lifestyle privileges wanted!

I was just looking through the membership guide for KA's The Elite FFP (which I read on the CX forum on TOF will soon be subsumed into the CX MPC):

http://www.dragonair.com/icms/downlo...ok2006_eng.pdf

For Platinum and Gold members (the top two tiers out of four) of The Elite, Shangri-La offers the following benefits:

* upgrade to next room category (subject to availability and applies to any rates except group / packaged rates)

* complimentary breakfast

These benefits are only available in the Shangri-La properties in China (so not Singapore) including the ones in Beijing and Shanghai.

Similar benefits are offered by other hotel chains, e.g. Marriott (10% discount on corporate rates, free room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, 10% discount on hotel restaurants etc), IC (room upgrade, access to lounge, complimentary breakfast etc - for all tiers other than the entry level red tier), Hyatt etc.

However, when I look at the hotel benefits offered by SQ PPS lifestyle privileges booklet, they seem to be mostly a jumble of independent hotels rather than any chains which I'd actually stay in. If KA can arrange with (say) IC for KA's lowest elite tiers to receive benefits, surely SQ should be able to do this with IC and the other chains mentioned above!

Does CX's FFP offers hotel benefits similar to those offered by KA ?
    Last edited by jhm; 15 November 2006, 09:34 AM.

In fairness, if you remember where the deals are, you can take good advantage of them. I got a nice Rimowa rollaboard from Planet Travel because they're a Lifestyle Privileges partner.

There are special hotel rates for MPO members, but I heard it can be a pain to take advantage of them.

What I like best about MPO are: (1) tangible benefits (priority checkin and boarding, CX lounge access, extra baggage allowance) extended even to MPO Silver (OneWorld Ruby); (2) the possibility to redeem miles for things other than flights (though the rates can be, IMO, exorbitant); (3) generally better redemption levels than KrisFlyer; and (4) better communication / soft touches for UK members, e.g., regular mailings, invitations to special events, and The Club magazine (this compared to what the UK PPS team seem to get around to, the lazy gits ).
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I tried using some CX Marco Polo Club offer codes on some hotels and rental car companies, and the 'special' rates turned out to be more expensive than what were quoted with no codes!

The prices at Planet Traveller is indeed quite good, especially after the PPS discount. It's so unfortunate that they don't carry my favorite brand - Tumi.
      jjpb3, I think luggage like Tumi/Samsonite are much more expensive there in London than in SIN, right?

Comment

Originally posted by TinyPPS View Post
        It's so unfortunate that they don't carry my favorite brand - Tumi.

You're just like our resident Tumiaholic StarG!

Comment

Yeah, I definitely need to join some Tumiaholic Anonymous meetings somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyPPS View Post
            jjpb3, I think luggage like Tumi/Samsonite are much more expensive there in London than in SIN, right?
            I haven't compared UK vs. SIN yet, but London may not be as bad as you think. The dutyfree price at CPH (airport) for one rollaboard model was higher than the all-in price at Selfridges! I'm going to do some price comparisons when I return to Singapore in December.

Or PM me the model you're considering and I'll check the price when I go window-shopping this weekend.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Stopped by the Samsonite store in Suntec City today and they were offering a 10% discount to KrisFlyer members and a 15% discount for PPS Club members. Don't recall seeing this online anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                Stopped by the Samsonite store in Suntec City today and they were offering a 10% discount to KrisFlyer members and a 15% discount for PPS Club members. Don't recall seeing this online anywhere.
                Not sure if its the same case but some stores have the PPS card stickers stuck on the shop front window which gives shoppers a certain % off for their products. I know my wife's beauty salon has those stickers too. Could be the same thing

Comment

I just signed up for the free Hertz #1 Club Gold membership through the PPS Lifestyle Privileges and tried a few bookings. The 10% discount from the CDP number works, but I can't seem to get the free one car class upgrade in the US using the PC# - it keeps saying criteria is not being met and the only criteria seems to be a minimum 3 day rental. Has anyone managed to get the upgrade to work?

Comment

The Samsonite offer is interesting...I brought a Samsonite back pack that was on offer. I also got another 15% discount as PPS.

Comment

but I can't seem to get the free one car class upgrade in the US using the PC# - it keeps saying criteria is not being met and the only criteria seems to be a minimum 3 day rental. Has anyone managed to get the upgrade to work?
                      I think it could be the original class of car you've selected. If you move to a higher class, it may work.

Comment

Working...
                      X