SQ + 9 Airlines @ Terminal 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ + 9 Airlines @ Terminal 3?

There was an article on ST yesterday (8/17) that says 9 airlines have expressed their interest in T3. The article mentioned LH, UA(!), 9W, KE, OZ, and four others. Personally, I can only see LH in T3 but it would be great if UA can use T3 too.

Why don't they move all the members of *A there?
    BOEING. Forever New Frontiers

Comment

Star Alliance's 'Move Under One Roof' scheme wouldn't work at Changi since CAAS decided to build a relatively small terminal for some reason.

Comment

But... safe of SQ and TG there are not so many *A flights in SIN.... or am i wrong?
        There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
        If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
          But... safe of SQ and TG there are not so many *A flights in SIN.... or am i wrong?
          Depends if 9w joins, but I think that they are going with One World...

Comment

Originally posted by IanDeYoung View Post
            Why don't they move all the members of *A there?
            CAAS allows airlines to decide on the terminals of their choice. So it's purely a commercial decision on the part of airlines, not a policy-based issue. OK, SIA's an exception.
            My Cafe Adventures
            Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
            http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

CAAS announcement doesnt seem to look like "any airline" that wants to move to T3, can do so - as CAAS said it will decide on whether n which airlines that have applied to move to T3 to do so. Hence its not a commercial decision by airlines - as if it will, then if most airlines quit T1, then what happens?

Comment

Not many airlines will quit T1, as rental in T3 will be higher. Changi in itself is a very efficient and great airports, so there's no substantial benefit of using T3 other than newer buildings. Airlines have also spent a great deal of money to refurbish their lounges in T1 or T2 according to their standards, so moving to T3 will add an extra cost to them. Whether this cost will be justifiable, we will have to wait and see.

In addition, I believe, Changi has also start their facelift renovation over T1 to ensure that the building is more up to date and airy. Even more less reasons for many airlines not to move their operations to T3.
                Last edited by singaporu_kooku; 20 August 2007, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                  In addition, I believe, Changi has also start their facelift renovation over T1 to ensure that the building is more up to date and airy. Even more less reasons for many airlines not to move their operations to T3.
                  As a passenger, I prefer T2 to T1, simply because it's newer. I just visited T1 over the weekend, and was greeted with the same decor, same colour scheme... you get my drift. The place just looks tired. Even regular extensive renovations don't manage to lift my spirits. The "moderniser" in me wants to see modern, glass-and-steel buildings, nice interior, etc. I especially like that over-arching roof in T2.
                  My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                    Hence its not a commercial decision by airlines - as if it will, then if most airlines quit T1, then what happens?
                    You can rest assured that this won't happen anytime soon. In fact, CAAS has had to resort to waiving rental charges at T3 for 6 months in a bid to entice airlines to move!
                    Last edited by The High Flyer; 21 August 2007, 08:33 AM.
                    My Cafe Adventures

Comment

CAAS will still have the final say in the airlines moving over to T3 - as it wants some "premier" airlines. CAAS is not waiving rental charges - but what its waiving is the 20% "premium" increase over the existing T1 rental for the next 6 mths. Some airlines may want to move to T3 - as their T1 stations are old and in need of renovations soon. But SQ sadly have to move like 60% of their flights over to T3 whilst still having to hold on to T2. This will add some substantial manpower costs to SQ as it now have to have 2 sets of station/ground staff at both T2 and T3. However was told by an SQ insider exec that SQ have been "told" by CAAS to have some of its ops in T2 or else T2 will very much be deserted as SQ is the major airline operating out of T2 and accounting for 70% of T2 ops.

Comment

Couldn't they move SQ to T3, and transfer some airlines to T2? For example, GA/KE/OZ/TG etc. So that they could dfferentiate the terminals by:

T1: Western carriers
                        T2: Asian carriers
                        T3: Premium carriers

Moreover, Etihad is coming to T2 soon, so T2 won't be too empty. By the way, anyone knows what's the rationale behind CAAS suddenly deciding to open up T2 and let new carriers use? T2 has not added any new carrier since like forever, while T1 is constantly adding new carriers albeit it being cramped and long in the tooth.
                        We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                          Couldn't they move SQ to T3, and transfer some airlines to T2? For example, GA/KE/OZ/TG etc. So that they could dfferentiate the terminals by:

ha brilliant were you the person that won the competition to name the budget terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                            And what would the rationale of segmenting the terminals by carrier origins? Wouldn't classification by destinations be more logical, like many airports out there (international or domestic)?
                            My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Well Singapore has no domestic.. Dividing flights into regional and long haul as SQ is trying to implement can work, albeit the confusion that it may cause if the flights has to make a stopover in the different region, eg, SIN-BKK-KIX

Comment

Working...
                              X