Amex Centurion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amex Centurion question

Does anyone carry an Amex Centurion card...?

What I would like to know is: If you are issued a Centurion in one country (say the US), are you entitled to the local Centurion privileges (private club access, etc.) when in another country (say Singapore)...

Thanks.

You're talking about the real black Centurion card? Invitation only, no credit limit?

Comment

Yes that one.

Comment

Originally posted by bloob View Post
        You're talking about the real black Centurion card? Invitation only, no credit limit?
        I've never seen this card, only read about it in glossy high-society magazines like Tatler where Amex Centurion cardmembers are shown enjoying free dinners and drinks.

Anyone know how to get an invitation, and what are the perks of this card ?
        J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

You can find info regarding Amex black on wiki
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card

If you read German, you can get official American Express Germany site and see for yourself (unfortunately, I do not speak/read German)
          http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...1,10732,00.asp

Comment

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
            You can find info regarding Amex black on wiki
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card

If you read German, you can get official American Express Germany site and see for yourself (unfortunately, I do not speak/read German)
            http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...1,10732,00.asp
            Whew ! Incredible privileges - especially the frequent flyer and hotel status privileges........
            J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Seems like the card's for the very rich. The obscenely rich however, seem to prefer cash, or at least, that's what I've seen at some watch shops in Geneva.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
                Anyone know how to get an invitation...?

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                Seems like the card's for the very rich. The obscenely rich however, seem to prefer cash, or at least, that's what I've seen at some watch shops in Geneva.
                No, no... the obscenely rich have store credit where the mindless things like bills get sent to their accountants.

The ones with the wads of cash have more nefarious objectives...

Comment

One thing I know is that you have to be a Amex Platinum card member first, and have an impeccable credit and spending history with Amex. Thereafter, it is a matter of whether they love you enough to ask you to join the Black Centurion club.

Comment

Originally posted by bloob View Post
                    One thing I know is that you have to be a Amex Platinum card member first, and have an impeccable credit and spending history with Amex. Thereafter, it is a matter of whether they love you enough to ask you to join the Black Centurion club.
                    Not true... There are several different routes, and via different issuing jurisdictions. Hence, my original question.

Comment

No need to get all worked up about the Black Card. The SPG AMEX yields much better mileage for only $30 / year -- and yes, I'm referring to C & F international tickets only.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        No need to get all worked up about the Black Card. The SPG AMEX yields much better mileage for only $30 / year -- and yes, I'm referring to C & F international tickets only.
                        This isn't really about mileage earning. It's more about the other benefits such as automatic FF and hotel status, invites to private parties, product pre-launches and VIP access to private clubs...

Plus the titanium card is seriously cool!

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          It's more about the other benefits such as automatic FF and hotel status, invites to private parties, product pre-launches and VIP access to private clubs...
                          Don't swallow too much of the Amex hype...

If you read the relevant board on TOF, you'll see that the benefits have been scaled back in recent years, e.g. SPG gold (which you get with an Amex platinum anyway) rather than SPG platinum. Plus, if you travel enough on business so as to spend enough to qualify for the card, you probably have all the required FF/hotel statuses anyway. Finally, do you really think that you'll get invited to the top parties merely because you're one of the thousands who hold a centurion ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Don't swallow too much of the Amex hype...

If you read the relevant board on TOF, you'll see that the benefits have been scaled back in recent years, e.g. SPG gold (which you get with an Amex platinum anyway) rather than SPG platinum. Plus, if you travel enough on business so as to spend enough to qualify for the card, you probably have all the required FF/hotel statuses anyway. Finally, do you really think that you'll get invited to the top parties merely because you're one of the thousands who hold a centurion ?
                            No, of course it's not the holy grail... All programmes dilute their benefits as they become more successful/widespread - look what's happened with PPS...

But nevertheless in the era of the "free" platinum card, there is still some obligatory value which Amex would provide in exchange for the relatively large annual fee...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                              Plus the titanium card is seriously cool!
                              And seriously heavy too!

Comment

Working...
                              X