UA Award Tix on SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA Award Tix on SQ

I just redeemed a ticket LAX-SIN RT on SQ11/12 using my UA miles. On the return I can't book SIN-LAX as one flight but I managed to book SIN-NRT and NRT-LAX. Do you guys think I'll have problems later on? Will SQ make a big fuss?

Originally posted by Bon View Post
    I just redeemed a ticket LAX-SIN RT on SQ11/12 using my UA miles. On the return I can't book SIN-LAX as one flight but I managed to book SIN-NRT and NRT-LAX. Do you guys think I'll have problems later on? Will SQ make a big fuss?
    There should be no problem when UA splitting the segments on SQ12. I had it before, and seen others booked same way. Just be prepared that it might happen that SQ agent would make a comment why UA did not book it as one segment. Lots of explanation can be given such as when the booking made, there was no availability for a through segment.

Comment

I had a split-segment booking on SQ 001 once, when I was going SFO-SIN. It happened because I first booked it as SFO-HKG, then modified to add the SIN segment. We couldn't get it reticketed because they kept coming back as no availability (duh! I had the one award seat!). Delta warned me that they'd heard of people denied boarding by SQ because booking a split-segment award like this has been viewed as a way to "beat" or "get around" capacity controls for awards between the origin and destination. Anyway, I arrived at SFO and there was a little hiccup at check-in while they fixed the problem. I feigned ignorance: that's how Delta booked it, is it a problem? They agent (cutie!) said that sometimes it was done to get around capacity controls, but he fixed it somehow and everything was fine. I flew without a problem. I was just very nervous until I got my BP's.

Not trying to spread panic, but that's my experience. All's well that ends well, but nervous times in between.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experiences UA MM and MegatopLover. Now, I'm a little bit worried. Does this mean I shouldn't call SQ to get seat assignments?

Comment

Bon, I have seen others had the same split tix issued by UA, and had no problem when getting seat assignments nor checking-in. As long as your booking shows everything confirmed, I think you should not be worried. Yes, some agents will give a comment, but again if UA issue the tix as it is (with split segments), it will be between UA and SQ. (And yes, among SQ agents, some still able to issue split segments, some would stick to the one flight number only.
          Last edited by CGK; 26 August 2007, 03:03 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Comment

I've had an award on SQ using with UA miles where it was booked as two segments SIN-NRT and NRT-LAX rather than as a through flight because when I initially put the ticket on hold, SIN-NRT was not available on SQ but it was available on UA. By the time I booked, SIN-NRT on SQ had opened up. I didn't have any problems at check-in and the only "issue" I did run into was with the SIN-NRT crew. They were a bit concerned when they learned I was a through pax as their manifest showed me as terminating at NRT. They confirmed with SQ that I was indeed a through pax but booked as separate segments and all were happy.

Comment

Working...
            X