No announcement yet.

Australia-based LH Miles and More members can now redeem miles on Virgin Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia-based LH Miles and More members can now redeem miles on Virgin Blue

Not sure how many of you are keen to redeem hard earned miles on an LCC, but I just thought I'd post this tidbit from the August M+M newsletter anyway:

Give the gift of flight - a Virgin Blue flight!

For the first time since 2001, Miles and More members can use their accrued mileage for travel within Australia!

Members can now purchase Virgin Blue Gift Vouchers which are valid on Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue flights sold in Australian dollars. The vouchers, starting at 23,000 miles, are multi-use and fully transferable to any person. Vouchers are easily redeemed through the Mileagestore website. Fly away today with Lufthansa and Virgin Blue!
    It might indicate positive developments in the DJ/*A relationship, what with rumours of DJ introducing tier levels in their FFP circulating this week - or I could just be reading too much into it.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

You're not reading too much into it at all! DJ is, of course, a seperate entity to the overarching Virgin brand now. Their relations with United Airlines have been going very well for the past few years. Although it may be a little while before a low cost airline becomes a Star Partner, it may still be on the cards with such agreements being reserved for Star Alliance airlines. However, the new V Australia will be in direct competition with SQ for their USA-AUS route plan, and Tiger will be competing with DJ as well for domestic issue.

DJ has also alluded to launching a new lower-cost airline, as they believe their product can be improved to a level equal to that of QF for a slightly higher ticket price.

All food for thought for Australian aviation!

N

Comment

LH should fly to Australia again... though I might still decide to fly SQ
      Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
        LH should fly to Australia again...
        Or not...

They make more money operating offline to Australia than actually flying their aircraft here, like so many European carriers:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

Lufthansa says local legs are too long

Steve Creedy | August 24, 2007

AUSTRALIA is a role model for offline airline markets and it is highly unlikely that European carriers will ever be back with their own planes.

That is the view of Lufthansa German Airlines vice-president Asia and Pacific Uwe Mueller, who was in Australia this week tointroduce the airline's new Australian general manager, Kai Peters.

Mr Mueller believes the high price of fuel makes it doubtful the European carriers will be back, even if aircraft manufacturers achieve the holy grail of a plane that will fly non-stop between Europe and Australia.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
        X