Ideas Needed: Ho Chi Minh City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas Needed: Ho Chi Minh City

Calling MAN Flyer and other Ho Chi Minh City regulars... I will be in Ho Chi Minh City later this month, specifically 29-31 August, and will be putting up at the Sheraton Saigon Hotel.

All I know is that this is sort of a waterfront location, being close to, but not immediately facing, the Saigon River. Other than that, what can I look out for and do in the area? I will likely have two evenings (29, 30 August, after dinner) and an afternoon (31 August) to myself. I depart on SQ185 on the last day.

Any recommendations will be appreciated!
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Staying in Saigon aye?
    Firstly they just built a new terminal at Ton San Nhat airport, it might be open now when i went it was complety finish. so if you go through the new terminal it will be nicer and more faster compared to the old terminal. If the imigration officer gives you any complication dont worry all they want is money (dont give them any) Right after imigration you will go and pick up your luggage. People tend to carry alot of BOXES, so dont get hurt. WHen you get out of the airport there will be a huge MOB of people waiting for thier family memebers, dont be scared, take your time and WATCH your belongings.
    Saigon is probably raining by now, however it’s still bloody HOT! So carry a towel where ever you go. Saigon is always busy; the streets are always completely filled with motor bikes and cars so the easiest way to get around is to walk. Be careful when crossing the streets, the locals dont obey the traffic lights or give the right of way to Pedestrians, so always look out for any motor bikes or taxi's when crossing the streets. Be careful there are ALOT of pocket pickers, so keep your money either in a back pack or fanny pack. The locals tend to be very nice, but seeing you as a tourist they tend to get very pushy, especially when you’re trying to buy gifts, Remember to ALWAYS bargain! Being a tourist they will always try to sell you items at a very high price. So always bargain because in the end they will give up. For eating out, I would usually try to stay alway from the little shops selling on the streets “Although they are very cheap” the sanitation is disgusting. There are a lot of historic places in Saigon for example a very old and very nice French cathedral in the heart of the city. Saigon is a good place to stay if you want to shop, to see the real Vietnam you'll have to go to places like Nha Trang. You can either take the train, take a tour bus or the best and quickest way is to fly. From Saigon to Nha Trang it cost only $40. I prefer the plane because it’s quicker and give you more time to explore. The trains tend to be very dirty and the tour bus usually takes 8-9 hours. Nha Trang is a very lovely city located next to the ocean. Over there you will have a Great time. They just built a New 5 star resort on one of the islands called "Vinpearl" you can take a cable car from the mainland to vinpearl, which gives you a Great view of the city and the ocean. Over in VinPearl there is an amusement park, a very big water park and a private beach. Well if you have any question feel free to ask me, either then that Have a safe and wonderful time in Vietnam!
    Last edited by singaporeairlinesboi; 10 August 2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

You could go shopping at Cho Ben Thahn market for some really inexpensive stuff for yourself and your Queen. Its a mere 5-10mins walk from the hotel.

If time permits, do visit the war museum. Its interesting but very much pro-Vietnam/anti-American.
      Do visit the Cu Chi tunnels if you can. I hope you're not claustrophobic as it can get completely black and its a tight squeeze as well.

Comment

Stick to the main taxi brands as well, some of them majorly rip you off e.g. - Diamond Plaza to Pham Ngu Lao cost my friend 44000 Dong. I think Vinasun and Vina Taxi is the way to go - I have always trusted those brands.

According to MAN Flyer, you'll just miss the opening of the new International Terminal, but Saigon is still a fantastic place to be, due to the atmosphere, vibe and excitement which one can experience whilst there.

I don't think I can contribute anymore, singaporeairlinesboi already comprehensively covered most of Saigon :]. Oh, and I like the Pho on Nguyen Hue Street, in the Sun Wah Tower

Have a great time

Comment

Sheraton Saigon isn't actually a waterfront location, it's located in the busy shopping area on Dong Khoi St, about 8-10 mins walk from the river itself. My friend and I were here in June and we stayed at the Renaissance Riverside Saigon which has excellent views of the Saigon river.

I disagree with the comment about staying away from eating at a street stall. Whilst we were in Vietnam we tried both upscale, moderate and authentic dining, as well as street stalls (the kind where you just plonk yourself on some low stools out on the pavement or inside and watch the food being prepared). I have to say the food on the street is by far more delicious than any of the posh restaurants we dined in and we never fell ill from eating at any of these street stalls. My friend had wanted to dine with stainless steel cutlery and napkins but I was having none of that nonsense so when he asked me to come and have lunch with him at a posh restaurant (which we had already been to!!!) I declined.

We went to Pho 24 (chain of noodle soup restaurants) to try my favourite food, pho, and I was really disappointed with the quality. Normally I wouldn't eat in these sort of chain restaurants but my friend was hungry. Then, later on in our trip, we had pho on the street and it was absolutely fantastic. I watched my food being prepared and my eyes could tell me I was in for a feast. When it arrived it was simply DELICIOUS! I could taste all the aromas and fresh herbs - it was a totally different bowl of pho to the one I had at Pho 24. All that for about 50p! One excellent Vietnamese restaurant I can happily recommend is Ngoc Suong, an authentic Vietnamese restaurant which serves BBQ food at extremely reasonable prices, which is why it is so popular with the locals, especially at weekends. The quality and presentation of the food is excellent. Ngoc Suong is located at 19 Le Quy Don. (District 3 I think).

We never encountered any problems with pick pockets in Saigon. As in any city anywhere in the world just keep your wits with you at all times wherever you are and you'll never be a mug. I felt quite safe in Saigon walking the streets even very late at night.

Ben Thanh market is so overrated. You can hardly move inside, it's so crowded, stuffy and overpriced. I went shopping in Chinatown (Cho Lon) instead - much larger, more authentic, fewer tourists and loads of space. Chinatown is further away but worth a trip.

Don't pay more than US$2.00 for any taxi ride in the city (District 1) - most journeys should only cost a dollar. I preferred the Xe Om (motorbike) which should cost less than a dollar a ride, for example, Dong Khoi to Ben Thanh Market cost us only VND10,000 each (35p).

You'll find that when crossing the streets the motorbikes and vehicles will look out and avoid you. Some roads are extremely busy, such as the one outside the Renaissance next to the river, with a never ending stream of traffic. I find the best method is to cross slowly whilst watching the traffic and you won't get knocked down. No one will run into you on purpose, as long as you don't walk straight out in front of them. I was sh!t scared at first (on my first visit a few years ago) but now I'm like a local when it comes to crossing the street.
          Last edited by UK flyer; 10 August 2007, 06:48 PM.
          My SQ A380 photos

Comment

Originally posted by UK flyer View Post
            Sheraton Saigon isn't actually a waterfront location, it's located in the busy shopping area on Dong Khoi St, about 8-10 mins walk from the river itself. My friend and I were here in June and we stayed at the Renaissance Riverside Saigon which has excellent views of the Saigon river.

We went to Pho 24 (chain of noodle soup restaurants) to try my favourite food, pho, and I was really disappointed with the quality. Normally I wouldn't eat in these sort of chain restaurants but my friend was hungry. Then, later on in our trip, we had pho on the street and it was absolutely fantastic. I watched my food being prepared and my eyes could tell me I was in for a feast. When it arrived it was simply DELICIOUS! I could taste all the aromas and fresh herbs - it was a totally different bowl of pho to the one I had at Pho 24. All that for about 50p! One excellent Vietnamese restaurant I can happily recommend is Ngoc Suong, an authentic Vietnamese restaurant which serves BBQ food at extremely reasonable prices, which is why it is so popular with the locals, especially at weekends. The quality and presentation of the food is excellent. Ngoc Suong is located at 19 Le Quy Don. (District 3 I think).

There is plenty to do near Dong Khoi Street. It isn't particularly busy (compared to the likes of Le Loi, CMT8 etc.), but the area offers most amenities one would need. And I also agree UK Flyer, try and avoid chain restaurants, such as Pho 24, as the quality of the food they offer is close to the ones in Western Countries, afterall, you're there for the unique experience which only Vietnam can offer.

And yes, Le Quy Don is located in District 3.

Comment

Originally posted by UK flyer View Post

I disagree with the comment about staying away from eating at a street stall. Whilst we were in Vietnam we tried both upscale, moderate and authentic dining, as well as street stalls (the kind where you just plonk yourself on some low stools out on the pavement or inside and watch the food being prepared). I have to say the food on the street is by far more delicious than any of the posh restaurants we dined in and we never fell ill from eating at any of these street stalls. My friend had wanted to dine with stainless steel cutlery and napkins but I was having none of that nonsense so when he asked me to come and have lunch with him at a posh restaurant (which we had already been to!!!) I declined.

We never encountered any problems with pick pockets in Saigon. As in any city anywhere in the world just keep your wits with you at all times wherever you are and you'll never be a mug. I felt quite safe in Saigon walking the streets even very late at night.

Ben Thanh market is so overrated. You can hardly move inside, it's so crowded, stuffy and overpriced. I went shopping in Chinatown (Cho Lon) instead - much larger, more authentic, fewer tourists and loads of space. Chinatown is further away but worth a trip.

Don't pay more than US$2.00 for any taxi ride in the city (District 1) - most journeys should only cost a dollar. I preferred the Xe Om (motorbike) which should cost less than a dollar a ride, for example, Dong Khoi to Ben Thanh Market cost us only VND10,000 each (35p).

You'll find that when crossing the streets the motorbikes and vehicles will look out and avoid you. Some roads are extremely busy, such as the one outside the Renaissance next to the river, with a never ending stream of traffic. I find the best method is to cross slowly whilst watching the traffic and you won't get knocked down. No one will run into you on purpose, as long as you don't walk straight out in front of them. I was sh!t scared at first (on my first visit a few years ago) but now I'm like a local when it comes to crossing the street.

you do know that they dont wash thier cups or bowls right? all they do is dip it in water and rinse it. Trust me im vietnamese and go to vietnam almost every summer. Its not sanitary at all. YES they are yummy but would you wana eat out of a bowl or use a spoon that has not been completely clean?

Comment

AWE SAIGON....Welcome to My World!!! If you only have a few days in Saigon like myself when I go to Vietnam. Here are some of my suggestion:

Breakfast: Find a hole in a wall noodle house. I personal 2 favorites are: Pho Le. It's on Vo Van Tan street. Most taxi drivers know how to get there. The other one is Pho Pasteur. It's on Pasteur Street.

Lunch: I like to go to Quan Ngon. It's on Nam Ky Khoi Nghia. It's a tourist hot spot. I like it there is because there are alot of variety of food you can try in small portion.

Dinner: Ngoc Suong is a place to go if you like sea food. There are 2 of them. Go to the one on Le Quy Don. That place is better. The other one is Lang Nuong. It's use to be on Cach Mang Thang 8 in District 3. I think most taxi drivers will know also.

Mid-night snack: Hoang Thanh ( Forgot the street name) or Tan Hai Van on Nguyen Trai street. Here, you can have pretty good HK style food but with a view. These 2 places are where the local and vietnamese expat hang out after a night of clubbing.

For leisure coffee: Windows III on Nguyen Dinh Chieu or there are a lot of places around Ho Con Rua (Means turtle lake). Lots of local hang out.

For hair wash/head massages: I go to Le Duyen on Bui Thi Xuan Street. Paid around 10USD fro 2 hours of head massage and some body massages. Don't tip them more then 50K Vietnamese Dong.

For full body massages: I go to Dai Nam @ the Windsor Hotel. I think it's the Windsor. For tip, don't give them more then 100K VN Dong. I would not suggest to get massages at Sheraton, Caravelle, New World hotels because they are over price. If you like massages with happy ending, PM me.

Pubs: Too many to list around Pham Ngu Lao area.

Dance Club: Apocalypse, Goship, Volcano, are among the nice area.

When taking taxi, I agree to stay with the brand name ones like VinaSun, SaigonSun, Saigon Tourist. Always have small change with you. The drivers will always and I mean "ALWAYS" pretend to search for small change to change you. They will try to stall and make you get frustrated so you'll leave.

Remember, there are alot of leeches to ask you for taxi. Most of them will say 10 - 15 USD for the ride from Airport to Q1 area. It should not cost you more then 100K VN dong. My suggestion is when you leave the airport, walk over to the departure area where there are a lot of taxis dropping off departing passengers and take those taxis. They turn on the meter so you'll be fairly safe.

Well....Hopes you will have fun in my home land and Welcome to My World.

Comment

Greetings from (partially) Sunny Saigon.

I am in a rush now as I am going out on a Stag Do around town (it should have been in Nha Trang but that's another story altogether...) so I will post some comments tomorrow, hangover permitting. Some great advice above anyway !!

Comment

There is some great advice above, here are some thoughts of my own. Make yourself comfortable....

As you've only got a couple of days then it's really only immediate Saigon stuff that's an option. I don't think you'll get time to go to Nha Trang.

Top of the things to do list imho is the Cu Chi Tunnels but it'a half day trip to do them so is probably off the list. I would recommend the War Remnants Museum, although be preapred for a very biased account of the war (understandably) and a few gruesome sights as well. The Reunification Palace is also worth a visit if you have time.

First off SQ won't be operating from the new terminal when you visit. On arrival at the existing terminal at Tan Son Nhat I usually go to the counter on the right hand side near the doors to exit the terminal. It's USD5 to any Hotel in District 1, where the Sheraton is.

This weekend I was back in the Renaissance for a change. I usually stay in the Sheraton nowadays due to my SPG Plat status both for requalification stays plus the fact they look after Plats well there. While the Sheraton is undoutedly a step up in class on the Ren I find it a little bit too impersonal in comparison, mainly due to the fact that I have stayed at the Renaissance 30+ times now and despite staff changes over the last 7 years I know them well and get well looked after.

As UK Flyer says the Sheraton is not right next to the river like the Renaissance but most of the rooms have some form of river view. The best are the ones facing up Dong Du Street (which is where the main entrance to the Sheraton is rather than Dong Khoi) and towards the Caravelle and the other tower. The other rooms face towards Nguyen Hue Street and District 4 and the Port area.

For eating there are a few good options close to the Sheraton. Vietnam House is across the street on the corner of Dong Khoi and Mac Thi Buoi. I had Pho and a bottle of Larue (the best beer in Vietnam) for less than 6 US Dollars there this weekend. Lemongrass on Nguyen Thiep which is off Dong Khoi is also nice as well as Kinh Bac which is on Dong Khoi opposite the Underground Bar and Lucky Plaza. Further up on the same side as Lucky Plaza is what is known as No Pay No Delicious restaurant (this is on a sign outside...) which is quite cheap and the food is great. Eating off the street vendors is a personal choice and while the food is generally great I think it's too much of a risk and personally don't bother any more after being caught out badly a few years ago.

As you say you're free time will be after dinner then bars and clubs are presumably on the list. There are a number of good places to go, and even if some are quite touristy if it's your first time then they are worth checking out. The Sheraton does have it's own nightclub on the 23rd floor but I haven't been there for a while now. Saigon Saigon at the Caravelle Hotel which is back to back with the Sheraton has nice views. Vasco is nice as is Carmen and and are worth a visit and Q Bar across the street from the Caravelle (so handy staggering distance home... ) is nice but generally quiet except for weekends when it is the only place around Dong Khoi that stays open until 3 and gets packed. Lush can get lively but has unpredictable closing times. You should pay a visit to the old lady of Saigon nightlife Apocalypse Now. It isn't what it used to be but gets busy most nights, and is about 5 minutes walk from the Sheraton. I was in there for the first time in a while on Saturday and it was heaving.

Sadly most places close at midnight due to local laws (I've watched Saigon bar opening hours go from all night, to 3am, 2am, 1am and now midnight in the last 7 years ) but you can get a drink late until very late up in the backpacker area of Pham Ngu Lao with a number of places open late there.

My usual haunt is the Underground on Dong Khoi due to the fact I know one of the owners very well indeed as well as the guys who run it.

As much as anything else just walk around the place and soak up the atmosphere, it's manic but fabulous. If you don't enjoy it, and in particular the people, seek urgent medical attention when you get home.
                    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 14 August 2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks everybody, for your valuable tips and comments on maximising my stay in Ho Chi Minh City. it's a bit of an information overload for the time being, partly due to the fact that I haven't left my country, so I don't have yet a sense of the orientation around where I'm going to be.

I'm going to bring along a printout of this fabulous treasure-trove on my trip, and revert over the next few days once I get my bearings right. For now, the unavailability of OLCI is killing me...

Thanks once again!
                      My Cafe Adventures
                      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X