Good Dim Sum In Singapore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Dim Sum In Singapore?

Seeing how we really love good food, I thought I'd start a thread on lobangs for good dim sum in Singapore.

I used to think the dim sum in Red Star Restaurant (Chin Swee Road) was good, but these days I think the quality is so-so. Nothing to shout about. This place was #1 during its heydays but perhaps not anymore. It's still popular though, as it can be packed even during weekdays. They still push the food out the traditional way on trolleys, a mode of serving which has almost but disappeared. The price however can be high.

Recently I found two places where you pay about the same amount, or just a little more, and you get much better food. I'm referring to Royal China (Raffles Hotel) and Tung Lok Signatures (Vivo City). You won't go wrong at these places coz the food is soooo good! The egg tarts are so flaky and smooth, and the rest of the food is yummy too. At such atas venues, you will find more than the usual siew mai, har kow and chee cheong fun. The in-house specials are something you won't find elsewhere. Unfortunately I don't have the names now. Comments are most welcome.
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

I always go to the Summer Pavilion in the Ritz-Carlton for dimsum in Singapore. I first went because the original Singaporean head chef and his team at Hakkasan in London came from there so I knew it had to be around that standard.

Comment

How about non-atas places? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
        How about non-atas places? Anyone?
        Hwa Nam
        244F Upper Thomson Road
        http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/...tmosphere.html

They have Malaysian-style hokkien mee

I'll say it again that some of the best food in SIN is NOT in restaurants

Comment

Some of the best food in SIN is NOT in SIN, they are in KL

Kidding!

My mom always say that Singaporeans got no taste when come to food. That's HER opinion. I dare not comment as I haven't sampled enough to have a say.

Comment

Ah, a man after SQflyergirl's heart!

Comment

Some of the best food in SIN is NOT in SIN
              Say what?

Comment

Kidding!

My mom always say that Singaporeans got no taste when come to food. That's HER opinion. I dare not comment as I haven't sampled enough to have a say.

How dare her! I think we have great taste in culinary delectables! . But I think the best dim-sum is at Din Tai Fung or Crystal Jade Kitchen in Ngee Ann City.
                Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

has anyone had it at Ah Teng's in Raffles Hotel? never been there so can't recommend it

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                    has anyone had it at Ah Teng's in Raffles Hotel? never been there so can't recommend it
                    Used to be good, but standard has dropped imo. I actually prefer their western pastries.

Where do I usually go for Dim Sum, Imperial Treasure at Great World (branch at Ngee Ann City L5), Royal China at Raffles Hotel, Crystal Jade Palace at Ngee Ann City. For takeaway Dim Sum, I like Teck Kee Tanglin Pau at Tangs. I find that most dim sums in hotel restaurants are not too good, such as Jiang Nan Chun at Four Seasons and Hai Tien Lo at Pan Pacific.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
                      Used to be good, but standard has dropped imo. I actually prefer their western pastries.
                      I knew WSSS would surely appear in this thread!!!

Anyway, I don't have a good impression of Ding Tai Feng. I tried that once with the Queen in Tampines Mall and our opinion of it was like . Costly and nothing fantastic. You'd be better off buying from Ho Kee Pau or Tanglin Pau... OK, that's an exaggeration, but we wouldn't go back to Ding Tai Feng.
                      Last edited by The High Flyer; 8 August 2007, 11:33 AM.
                      My Cafe Adventures
                      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
                        I knew WSSS would surely appear in this thread!!!

Anyway, I don't have a good impression of Ding Tai Feng. I tried that once with the Queen in Tampines Mall and our opinion of it was like . Costly and nothing fantastic. You'd be better off buying from Ho Kee Pau or Tanglin Pau... OK, that's an exaggeration, but we wouldn't go back to Ding Tai Feng.
                        LOL.

Din Tai Fung in SG is not too good. Hope the one in Taipei is much much better.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
                          LOL.

Din Tai Fung in SG is not too good. Hope the one in Taipei is much much better.
                          The one in Taipei is pretty good and the queue gets pretty long. For Xiao Long Bao, I still prefer those made in Shanghai's Yu Yuan.

Sorry for going OT.
                          Last edited by SuperJonJon; 8 August 2007, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X