Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BHX-FRA on Swiss Y/C and an overnight camp at FRA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BHX-FRA on Swiss Y/C and an overnight camp at FRA!

As you’ll know from the long thread on CGK’s LPP run, I was fortunate enough to keep our very own SQ VVIP company on the last terminal overnighter of his legendary run back in early June; I’ve been meaning to write this short report for a while now, and whilst it wasn’t on SQ metal, it did have an SQ theme (and of course included a meeting of SQTalkers), which hopefully justifies it place on the forum! In summary, my trip involved six trains and four planes and was a great experience!

I had been thinking about meeting CGK in FRA as a surprise, as I was unable to accompany him, cawhite and DFP on the final FRA-JFK flight, but after some confusion over whether I would be in the Schengen or non-Schengen side of FRA after flying in from the UK (and therefore having a wasted journey), I decided to break the surprise and let him know my plans. Luckily, as it turned out, I would indeed be in the non-Schengen side and therefore I went ahead and booked the tickets. It seemed that Swiss offered the cheapest *A fare from BHX-FRA, and so I booked the following itinerary:

BHX-ZRH-FRA (Economy) and then the next day FRA-ZRH-BHX (Business)

…my flight would arrive in FRA around two hours before CGK and DeltaFlyingProf’s flight from SIN on the Sunday evening, and I would then depart around an hour after their flight departed on the Monday morning. Many elements of that particular evening have already been documented in CGK’s run thread, so I’ll try not to repeat myself

Journey to BHX

Fairly uneventful, but requiring three separate trains from Nottingham to Birmingham International (BHX). Here’s a self portrait of me at the station waiting for train number one:

When you get to Birmingham International train station, there’s a monorail between there and the airport itself that leaves about every five minutes (or less) from memory. Seemed to be very difficult to get a good photo because it moves so damn fast (!), but this is the best I could manage:

Last edited by nickbot; 4 August 2007, 02:52 PM.

A nice surprise at BHX!

I arrived pretty early for the flight (many will know I’m pretty paranoid like that!), and approached the Swiss checkin counters which were all empty and proceeded to go through the checkin formalities. The lady on the desk noted that I was flying in Y on the outward leg and C on the return, and double checked that my KF number had been inputted into the system before printing my boarding passes. She was only able to print three out of the four passes (the final ZRH-BHX couldn’t be issued for some reason), and handed them over to me in reverse order, i.e. my Business FRA-ZRH was on top, before saying:

”Dr. nickbot, you can use the British European Executive Lounge”

I was a little surprised to hear this, but obviously didn’t query it at the time – perhaps he thought that because I had C legs in my itinerary that I could use the lounge, or maybe she was “Silver/Gold” colourblind and mistook my KF Silver for KF Gold(!),…needless to say, it was an interesting surprise, and I already started mulling over in my head what I should say to the lounge dragon!

After passing through security (very tight, because there had been a whistle-blower documentary on how incredibly slack BHX security was on the TV that week), I headed straight to the lounge:

When I got to the desk, there was no-one there, so I waited for a moment and the lounge dragon appeared in a puff of white smoke (okay, there was no white smoke, but it sounds more dramatic!). I said to her that the Swiss checkin lady had told me I could use the lounge as I was flying in Business the following day (I kind of lied and said there was no C availability that day, so I “had” to fly in Y), and she accepted this without question. One thing she *did* ask was whether I had any cards (i.e. FF cards), so I showed her my KF silver card and she noted the number down very carefully on her sheet,…then I was in the lounge

Okay, this isn’t the greatest lounge in the world, but I was pretty chuffed to be there so I could relax before the flight. Apparently it used to be a BA lounge (all of the wifi information came up as being BA), and was quite sufficient for my requirements.

First view of the lounge (contingency pic in case I got thrown out lol!)

From my seat, looking towards the food area and onto the tarmac

More food area detail

Well stocked fridges,….check out the quantity of Stella! (too strong for my taste!) (plus an unintentional crotch shot in the mirror he hel!) - I think cawhite would like this fridge because it's very Pepsi-centric, whereas I'm a Diet Coke man through and through, so simply had to go for wine instead!

Tea and biscuits before the flight…I also managed to force a couple of glasses of red wine down, but it was nothing special. Needless to say, no champagne available

View of planes on the tarmac, unfortunately there was a dotted pattern on the windows which prevented me taking any decent pics, but snapped this one for you prop fans out there!

Finally, the toilet/shower facilities (not quite SKL F!)

…and the business centre (note my ridiculously full laptop bag, packed with all the requirements for camping on the floor overnight at FRA!)

Last edited by nickbot; 4 August 2007, 02:55 PM.

Comment

LX423 BHX-FRA

Despite purchasing my tickets from Swiss, only one out of the four flights over the next 24 hours was actually on Swiss metal. The first flight over to Zurich was to be on FlightLine (a wetlease arrangement for Swiss) - sorry, can't remember the type of aircraft but here's a photo

Sitting on the tarmac, waiting for departure

At last, some sun on a cloudy day!

Despite being operated by FlightLine, everything had Swiss branding, including the sandwiches and wine (it's always wine o'clock for me on flights )

Leaving the plane at ZRH

ZRH terminal

Sorry about the pace at which this report it being posted, hope to finish it this evening!
      Last edited by nickbot; 3 August 2007, 04:16 PM.

Comment

LX 3608 ZRH-FRA

Buoyed with confidence after talking myself into the lounge at BHX, I decided to try my hand at the Swiss lounges in ZRH, saying that I was flying C the next day - unfortunately the lounge dragons were more clued up, and could celarly distinguish between those two important colours Silver/Gold (!), so this is as close to the lounge I got:

...no great loss I suppose, at least I knew where to find the lounge for tomorrow. I compensated myself by going round the duty free shops and picking up a contingency bottle of Veuve Clicquot in case CGK and I required some sustenance during the night!

Soon enough, after a pretty quick transfer, my next flight (operated by LH this time) was ready for boarding. Didn't take many photos on this leg (pretty speedy flight ZRH-FRA), but here's a quick shot of the inflight catering:

...as you can see, at least I managed to procure a glass of bubbly, although it wasn't champagne. The chocolate biscuit wasn't bad either!

Flaps down, on approach to FRA

On the tarmac waiting to disembark

So, I was now at FRA with only a couple of hours to wait until CGK and DFP arrived,...more to follow soon...
        Last edited by nickbot; 4 August 2007, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Overnight in FRA

Once I'd arrived in FRA, I went to the information desk to check which gate the SQ flight would arrive at - the lady there was most helpful, but said that a gate hadn't yet been assigned and to check back in an hour. I took a look around the shops, and sat on the floor checking my email (and SQTalk of course!) - the things us non-lounge-access pax have to go through Eventually, the gate had been assigned (can't remember the number now), so I made my way down there. For those that know FRA, it was the one down at the end where one of the LH Business lounges is, where the gates are arranged in a circle (B38 or something?). Anyhow, the gate area was all dark, and I was able to sneak into the seating area and sit myself down behind a pillar out of view of the gate personnel to await CGK's arrival. Coincidentally, the gate at which their SQ flight arrived was exactly the ame gate that mrs nickbot and I departed from just a month later on our trip to YVR.

I've already posted pics of his SQ flight arriving, but here's another one...

There I was, waiting by the glass doors, camera in hand, waiting for CGK to come through,...he approached the doors, I raised my camera to take the shot, and he turned left and exited by another door!! I had to run round, and snapped this shot of Mr. 999 sectors as he was at the time:

The rest of the evening has already been documented to the full, but here are a couple more shots for posterity...

CGK's immaculately laid out bedspace!

My campsite for the night, and a very casual CGK in his slippers checking SQTalk - this is the way to travel in luxury

Thankfully, as mentioned before, we were both in the non-Schengen side, or else I'd have been the other side of that glass wall - wouldn't have been much of a meeting
          Last edited by nickbot; 4 August 2007, 03:00 PM.

Comment

LX 1069 FRA-ZRH

Morning soon arrived (it has a habit of doing that when you're surfing SQTalk until about 2 am sat on the floor!), and a great morning was spent with CGK, cawhite, +1 and eventually DFP. A fond farewell was said at the gate...

Afterwards, I made my way back to the LH lounge and, a rare experience for me, flashed my Busines Class ticket and gained access - made me feel all warm inside Only a quick visit unfortunately, as my flight was boarding, so hopped back down the stairs and joined the Business/First queue. This was another experience, as was the way in which the Economy pax looked upon me with scorn as I jumped the queue via the F/C lane,...most odd, the two queues rejoined right after the initial check before you give your boarding pass in to be scanned, so there was no real "priority" lane as such. Boarded the bus and narrowly (annoyingly!) missed a photo opportunity of the SQ flight leaving because another bus was parked in the way, grrrrr!

First sight of the aircraft - the only actual LX plane on my itinerary:

Boarded immediately and took my seat in 1 F A whole row to myself!

As it was such a short flight, breakfast was served pretty swiftly after the seatbelt sign was extinguished. I was pretty hungry, after only eating a few small pastries in the RCC that morning, so managed to even eat the yoghurt/meusli combination, which is not normally to my liking!

...oh and managed to have a glass of champagne with my breakfast of course!

Last edited by nickbot; 4 August 2007, 01:09 AM.

Comment

ZRH

Upon arrival at ZRH, I made my way to the transfer desk to pick up the fourth and final BP for my trip (the one that they were unable to issue at BHX the ay before), and from there onto the Swiss lounges, where this time I was of course permitted access

The lounge was pretty crowded, but I managed to get a seat for some coffee and pastries, then was able to catch up on my email on the shared terminals rather than pay again for wifi.

I then headed upstairs to the famous long bar...

...sorry these pics are pretty dark, but in this shot you can *just* about make out my laptop, a glass of "champagne" and SQ 77W 9V-SWF through the window...

Last edited by nickbot; 4 August 2007, 05:22 AM.

Comment

LX 422 ZRH-BHX

I was assigned window seat in row 2 for this flight, again a very light load in C. Flight operated by FlightLine as per my BHX-ZRH the day before. Served a *reasonably* pleasant lunch:

...thankfully this time accompanied by "proper" champagne in dinky little bottles

I was the only C pax drinking champagne, and managed to get through 3 small bottles during the flight (had to get my C money's worth lol!)

Wing shot...

...and finally, approaching BHX...

From BHX I had the same three train journey back home, and arrived back in Nottingham in the early afternoon, tired from my mini-run
                Last edited by nickbot; 4 August 2007, 05:34 AM.

Comment

That's all for this trip report folks - in summary, I was pretty impressed with both the price and the service on LX Economy and Business (even though only one flight was with proper LX!), and would definately fly with them again for intra-European travel; seemed to be much cheaper than LH, but maintaining the convenience for me of flying out of BHX which is only about an hour's drive down the road (or three trains!).

A great trip in all, and well worth the tiredness to be able to see CGK off on his final LPP run flight. Unfortunately I arrived home to a pretty big crisis at work, so didn't have the quiet and relaxing evening that I had planned,...but managed to sort it all out reaonably quickly.

Best wishes as ever,

nickbot

Comment

Excellent report, nickbot.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Hi Nickbot thanks for the trip report. The photo's of ZRH brought back memories for me. For about two years I would seemed to find myself transiting through ZRH or VIE once or twice a week. But in the last 3 years or so I have not been back.

I used to like Swiss a lot but again this was many years ago before they went bust and where taken over by LH but in those days the food (I have only ever flown them in Y) was the best I have had on an intra europe flight.

Comment

wonderful trip report nickbot- really shows the spirit of the SQTalk squad! Thanks so much for sharing.

Comment

Thanks guys, I know it's not an SQ report, but when considering flying with Swis I couldn't find much information about their Y/C product within Europe, so hopefully this will be of use.

I have a very good friend in Ankara, and previously have flown LH from BHX (via MUC), but it's normally pretty expensive - I'll certainly try Swiss in future when I'm able to visit him, and am glad to recommend them in general on a cost-effectiveness basis

Comment

hey nickbot, I think that was a BAe 146 RJ (Regional Jet) that you were on

Comment

thanks for that report nickbot, was planning on take a trip with the parents when we are back in Birmingham over Xmas/NYE.. Berlin is looking like the choice and Swiss seems to price out a lot more reasonablly then LH so looks like it could be the go..

Comment

Working...
                              X