Quick mileage redemption question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick mileage redemption question

Just having a few thoughts about a possible trip in F or C in May/June next year, funded by KF miles; the trip would be on the LHR-SIN-BKK route (whether the upgrade will be on the outward or return journey is up for decision still), but something concerns me slightly...

At present, for example, a 1 way F saver award LHR-SIN-BKK comes in at 126,000 KF miles (107,100 after the online 15% discount), and I'm basing my calculations on this figure. However, with the A380 being launched in the "not too distant future" on legs of the Kangaroo route, I would have thought that redemption rates might well double as per the 77W. Fair enough, at that time the SQ A380 fleet will probably not be up to full strength, so perhaps there will still be a majority of 744's flying LHR-SIN, but I'm concerned that I might well miss the boat as it were for my innaugural F experience! Do you catch my drift? I certainly couldn't manage 2 x 107,100 per person for mrs nickbot and I, if the 744 was taken off that route

Any tips? Perhaps I should try to redeem as far in advance as possible (is 6 months the max?)

Any help much appreciated!
    Last edited by nickbot; 31 July 2007, 11:04 PM.

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
    Just having a few thoughts about a possible trip in F or C in May/June next year, funded by KF miles; the trip would be on the LHR-SIN-BKK route (whether the upgrade will be on the outward or return journey is up for decision still), but something concerns me slightly...

At present, for example, a 1 way F saver award LHR-SIN-BKK comes in at 126,000 KF miles (107,100 after the online 15% discount), and I'm basing my calculations on this figure. However, with the A380 being launched in the "not too distant future" on legs of the Kangaroo route, I would have thought that redemption rates might well double as per the 77W. Fair enough, at that time the SQ A380 fleet will probably not be up to full strength, so perhaps there will still be a majority of 744's flying LHR-SIN, but I'm concerned that I might well miss the boat as it were for my innaugural F experience! Do you catch my drift? I certainly couldn't manage 2 x 107,100 per person for mrs nickbot and I, if the 744 was taken off that route

Any tips? Perhaps I should try to redeem as far in advance as possible (is 6 months the max?)

Any help much appreciated!
    hi nickbot,
    i tried using my miles and plugging in some dates as far ahead as march, but still couldn't find any A380 planes. I guess they are not showing up in the system. Advice would be to try and book it as far ahead as possible before the schedule is set, and hope you get lucky. BTW, is there any way you will have enough miles for a RT F ticket... it's only an extra 91,800 miles (214,200 one-way and 306,000 RT) for the two of you combined. One-way award tickets they really kill you on.

Comment

I would suggest that you book as early as possible and try to be flexible on dates. An example was I booked/ticketed in Jan for a pair of Nov/Dec award flights in C to LAX and already some flights were not available. And this is with 3 daily flights to LAX.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
        ...BTW, is there any way you will have enough miles for a RT F ticket... it's only an extra 91,800 miles (214,200 one-way and 306,000 RT) for the two of you combined. One-way award tickets they really kill you on....
        Thanks taipeiflyer, unfortunately at this stage a 1-way F is all we could afford - a great shame I know, the one way award is comparatively expensive. The great trade-off is that we could manage a full return trip in Business, or we could opt for the one way in F and the other in paid Economy - a big step down from F I know (and will cost more because we need to buy the Y tix!), but this may be one of the only times we get to experience F, so I'm tending towards that option

9V-JKL thanks also for your input - I'm thinking I'll try to book this as early as possible, even though the trip is till probably 11 months away! There's a fair bit of points shifting I need to do in order to have sufficient KF miles in place, but then they probably don't debit the miles until it's ticketed I assume?

Comment

If you book online, miles are deducted immediately as you'll also ticket immediately.

Comment

nickbot u could also be doing the BD mastercard trick which u prolly are and im positive it would speed things up a great deal - i cant do it since i dont have a uk adress

Comment

Originally posted by token01 View Post
              nickbot u could also be doing the BD mastercard trick which u prolly are and im positive it would speed things up a great deal - i cant do it since i dont have a uk adress
              token, thanks for your comments mate,...I wish I was doing the BD Mastercard trick, but unfortunately not. At the moment I'm KF through and through, and all my credit card spend is directed to KF via Amex/PriorityClub - unfortunately my bank of PC points can't (I believe) be transferred into BD, so this is a KF based thing

Saying that, after this trip, I may well switch to BD, but as an "NPFF" (Not Particularly Frequent Flyer ), KF Silver is about my level of annual miles, and I usually stick with Intercontinental Group hotels for business/pleasure, so not 100% sure BD is the way to go for me. The jury is still out, but this planned trip will burn all remaining KF miles and leave me free to decide on KF vs. BD. Might still be worth doing the Mastercard trick anyhow though

Comment

yeh yeh for sure i get ya mate

but u always could redeem an upgrade with the SQ miles somewhere alongst the trip but in the sort term before this trick ends, u can build up some serious miles for other trips - forget having status then with BD, stick with our beloved KF, (which im in danger of dropping alotgether back to blue if i dont pump 25grand in grrr since i depoist all my miles somewhere else). i think if u do the trick a few times u earn a signficant amount of miles. If Mrs Nickbot got into the action well thats another story lol more miles lol. And say if a friend or ** cat lol could, they could give u the miles they get in the form of a ticket (BD allows that )

token

Comment

I suppose another difficulty is that we would have to make two redemption bookings (insufficient miles in either account to pay for both mrs nickbot and I) - SQ were most helpful in doing this for our honeymoon, and were able to juggle miles between accounts, but this was perhaps a special favour, and would require email/telephone assistance, thereby barring us from the all important 15% discount.

This leads me to the worry that one of us might get ticketed and the other not, which would mess up the whole plans! One would hope (fingers crossed) that they would see both pax were husband/wife and, combined with a very early booking, would work things out?!?

Yours confusedly (!)

nickbot

Comment

Cheers token, good point,...start up a BD account for both mrs nickbot and I, do the Mastercard trick a few times and bank some nice free (non expiring) miles regardless of status,...might well get onto that one. Then, if the "miles plus cash" option remains even in the short term, this may permit us another nice holiday trip down the line...

In doing this , however, I would probably be sensible to cancel my MBNA PriorityClub card (as the BD Mastercard is also MBNA), thereby sealing off PriorityClub earning potential for those all valuable KF miles necessary for the F trip I'm working on,.....but then again, if I then restart my PC card, I'll hopefully get the 20,000 PC points bonus!!

Decisions decisons,....my head is about to explode lol
                    Last edited by nickbot; 1 August 2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

just to put things in perspective

two credit card tricks each, thats a j class trip london - jfk , or fra jfk which sq runs hehe

hooooowever someone has told me once these cards are not suspended anymore (suspended as of 30th July), the miles given are gonna be cut in a major way.

Comment

Originally posted by token01 View Post
                        hooooowever someone has told me once these cards are not suspended anymore (suspended as of 30th July), the miles given are gonna be cut in a major way.
                        Sorry, a little confused about what you mean re. suspended cards?

Comment

haha i kno what u mean bout decisions well as much as a uni student does lol

In the flying regards, ask CGK, Keithy boy, tapei and Sqfg how much ive annoyed them recently bout going for SEN or BD gold and how to ticket better - ive just realised thanks to their help, that i can go BNE - BKK-FRA - DUB on a thai / LH ticket in F same price with SQ up to BNE then LH onwards in C lol.

its a tricky business all this and it toook me a while to get my head around comparing redeeming rates etc but this places makes it all the much easier.

come on nickbot lets get u this trip u want

token

Comment

Okay, now that sounds complicated lol!

I think I have a lot still to learn

Comment

lol my original post was real confusing

basicallly a F ticket utilzing Thai and LH to go BNE - DUB is same price little cheaper than SQ ticket BNE - DUB in C

furthermore i can go in F the same price as the above mentioned ticket albeit a little more tax round the world due to the structure of the ticket i.e BNE - AMERICA - fra - dub - fra - bkk - bne lol all in F its crazy

but i quickly checked on the BMI board on TOF , and they seem hopeful the miles option will still be there so u should be ok once the card resumes lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X