Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To BKK/SIN/JHB/KUL on QF/BA/CX/AK in a mix of LCC, Y, Y+ and J!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To BKK/SIN/JHB/KUL on QF/BA/CX/AK in a mix of LCC, Y, Y+ and J!

Some teaser pics before I write the report:

Moet at QF J lounge SYD

BA World Traveller's Plus (Y+) cabin

Bathroom amenities, Plaza Athenee Royal Meridien Bangkok

Entry to CX lounge BKK

CX 744 UD

I was the first to board this AK flight, thanks to Xpress Boarding.

View from 1D on AK A320

One of the coolest Westin lobbies I've ever seen - Westin KL

KUL low cost tin shed

CX regional J

Entry to QF/BA J lounge BKK

BA - I was upgraded to New Generation Club World!
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post

That mcd's is where i offered to buy any SQter who might have been there that day a happy meal

Comment

As always, nice teaser pics from KeithMEL
      Hmm...up till now..I haven't tried CX Regional Business Class

Comment

QF430 MEL-SYD, Economy
        Scheduled dep – 1200
        Actual dep – 1214
        Aircraft type – B767-300
        Seat – 34B

I’d booked a BA World Traveller’s Plus fare to Bangkok, and consequently had to fly QF over to SYD to pick up the BA flight.

I strode purposefully to the eastern end of Terminal 1 where the ‘Domestic-International connection’ check in desk was located, meaning to check in for both QF430 and my connecting flight to BKK. The queues were manageable and before too long I’d been handed a boarding pass for my first flight by the rather expressionless check in agent. I’d OLCIed for my BA flight and like previous attempts with OLCI where the preceding flight was not BA, it had messed up with the computer systems with QF at MEL not able to issue the BA BP. I had not PYOBPed as I collect BP stubs and the ‘real’ BPs tends to last longer. My bag was successfully tagged through to BKK though.

Soon enough I was in the domestic Qantas Club at MEL where I promptly got my seat changed to an aisle seat at the emergency exit row. As the bar was not open until 1300, I simply surfed the net on my laptop. I was supposed to meet RickyT (QF FT) to ‘guest’ him into the QP.

A pleasant surprise ensued as I bumped into Aerotec (BA FT), who hails from EDI and who I last met at a BA mini Do in LON. It was completely unexpected and was all the more rad meeting each other in this part of the world for a change as I’d only ever met him in EDI or LON prior to this.

Surprise number two when aforementioned QP guest of mine revealed that he’s a fellow law student at unimelb even though we’d not even met each other around campus. It’s a small world!

The boarding call for my flight was made and I hurried to join the scrum to get on to the Cityflyer shuttle bus to SYD. Twas a rather straightforward service to SYD, not overly eventful. I declined a panini and opted for some juice along with a green apple. Strong turbulence meant a rather rushed service; those down the back had to gobble down their lunches pretty quickly and an apology for this was made over the PA with a pre-emptive comment that ‘safety came before service.’

We ended up arriving in SYD ahead of the scheduled arrival time.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 July 2007, 02:54 AM. Reason: wording
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

BA10 SYD-BKK, World Traveller’s Plus
          Scheduled departure: 1640
          Actual departure: 1658
          Aircraft: B747-400, mid J config
          Seat: 11J

Upon arrival in SYD, I proceeded to the transfer lounge, opposite gate 1 in the domestic terminal, to board the courtesy bus to the international terminal. Timing was on my side as I did not have to wait at all for the bus.

Since I did not have my BA BP, I had to go back to the check in desks before heading airside. The queue at the Club check in desks were rather short and it was with a huge sigh of relief when I realised that the seat shifters spared me and I kept 11J, bulkhead aisle in WTP. A lot has changed on BA since I’d last flown the airline and I was pretty disappointed with the new black and white boarding pass, which was certainly a depressing way to start the journey. Prior to this I’d read the howls of protest on the BA board on FT, but reality only sank in when I held the puke-inducing BP in my hands.

Immigration and security were chaotic, and choked with amateur travelers who took an age to clear security due to multiple failures to observe security regulations.

I then spent a couple of hours downing Moet in the QF J lounge. It was with a tinge of envy as I walked past the gleaming new Flounge, and I wished somehow I could fast forward till I achieved AA EXP/oneworld emerald which was a prerequisite status to enter the Flounge. The J lounge now seems like a high school cafeteria in comparison.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 July 2007, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Boarding

Occurred at the furthest possible gate from the lounge. As a oneworld sapphire, I was entitled to use ‘Fast Track’ boarding which was a relief as the line for WHY snaked back for miles. Once onboard I was greeted by name despite being a dirty AA sapphire instead of a BA one.

Seat and Cabin

I had the ‘mid J’ config which sees the WTP cabin sandwiched behind F but in front of Club, a major source of consternation amongst many. The crew seemed to have overcome this problem by using velvet ropes to secure the WTP cabin – not an ideal solution but certainly the optimum way to protect premium cabin integrity IMO, especially when deplaning (more later).

Seat 11J in this config is identical to 17J on a ‘low J’ plane. So no solo bulkhead seats unlike row 28 on ‘high J’ planes alas. There was ample legroom and the seat was sufficiently comfy for the 8 hour journey to Bangkok. I’m not sure if I’d fly in WTP all the way to LHR though, then again I’d survived that trip in WHY on QF with only a teeny break in SIN halfway, as I’d like to boast to mates every now and again.

My failure to achieve an op up to J was more than made up by the pleasing aesthetics of the bloke sitting next to me in 11K, who was off to LON for his grandma’s birthday, bless him.

Comment

Catering

Booze on BA was generously offered and came in doubles. I had copious amounts of wines which came in 175ml bottles. This reduced the need to disturb the crew as 2 of those lasted me a bit longer than the measley 1 bottle on QF WHY, or the tiny glasses of wine served on SQ WHY. My seatmate and I used the bassinet as a cocktail table at the suggestion of the FA. The WTP FA was great at bringing out extra wine when I’d finished - mostly without the use of the crew call button which I only had to use thrice throughout the flight.

The food was nothing spectacular, but perfectly edible. Dinner was a choice between lamb and pasta accompanied with salad as a starter and some cake as dessert, whilst a roll of some sort was served for the pre-landing refreshment.

IFE

The flight was equipped with AVOD which mercifully worked without a hitch. The movie selection was average and I ended up watching Harry Potter in anticipation of the latest book and movie releases of the series, and an episode of Friends. I either read my book or chatted with my seatmate for the rest of the flight.

De-planing

Everyone was required to get off at BKK regardless of whether they were terminating there. Two doors were used to de-plane the aircraft. It was re-assuring to note that the crew did a great job of making sure Club and F pax got off before WTP was allowed off.

For the most part, WTP pax, including yours truly , were well-behaved and respected the premium cabin entitlement to de-plane first by not impatiently pushing or fidgeting to disembark. Or maybe they’d transitted at Suvarnabhumi once too often and were instead dreading to get out.

Baggage

It took such a long time clearing passport control that my suitcase was already doing its merry go round on the carousel when I arrived.

A rather pleasant experience on BA on the whole. I wish they’d come up with a better designed BP, menus in WTP, and had better choices for the IFE though. I knew what to expect from the WTP cabin having been on it before – the extra space is certainly a plus, but at the same time I wish BA would look into making WTP an actual ‘premium’ experience like what its competitors, notably VS, have done. But until QF’s Premium Economy cabin launches, BA WTP remains the only viable option in oneworld for this cabin of travel. The 1.5 Qpts/mile when accruing to AAdvantage also helps heaps.

Next: Plaza Athenee Bangkok, a Royal Meridien Hotel

Comment

A puke-inducing BP ?

No raids to the Club Kitchen ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  A puke-inducing BP ?
                  Only slightly better than the eye watering purple of TG's BP.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  No raids to the Club Kitchen ?
                  I believe in karma so I was a VERY well-behaved WTP pax.

Comment

great report so far keith- looking forward to seeing more of it!

Comment

A very detailed report...looking forward to see more

How's the AA program different from the other oneword's program?
                      Which one do you think will offer the best value in terms of mileage accrual towards Emerald status?

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                        How's the AA program different from the other oneword's program?
                        Which one do you think will offer the best value in terms of mileage accrual towards Emerald status?
                        AA's program isn't the easiest for emerald status, but I personally believe that the earn/burn ratio is the best amongst the oneworld FFPs. After getting Sapphire status (AA PLT - which can be achieved through the Challenge, 10 000 Qpts in 3 months on AA flight numbers), you get a 100% award mileage bonus on all partner airlines except JL.

If you're just interested in emerald status and doing lots of premium travel, look into QFF or BAEC. The earn/burn on these programs are pretty poor though, IMO, but you can get emerald on these programs with 1 DONE4, subject to the minimum 4 'own metal' rule.

Comment

I'd neglected to mention the amenity kit BA provided for both WTP and WHY pax. It contained a pair of socks, a toothbrush and some industrial-tasting toothpaste - very similar to the SQ kits. Like SQ does, it's great that BA provides these things even on day flights.

Plaza Athenee Bangkok, a Royal Meridien Hotel
                          Wireless Rd
                          Stay duration: 3 nights

Taxi drivers often have trouble finding the hotel as many have no clue as to where Wireless Rd is. My taxi driver had to stop in the middle of the highway from the airport to downtown to contact the hotel and enquire about its whereabouts. A rapid burst of Thai and a thumbs up sign indicated that he’d worked out the LM’s location. The solution to this is to obtain a name card from the concierge folks which indicate the address of the hotel in Thai; otherwise have the phone number of the hotel handy.

The hotel did not have as good a location as the WGS or the SGS on Sukhumvit Rd, as Wireless Rd was nowhere near good nightlife. There was a BTS nearby though and it was a cheap and convenient way to commute to places such as Soi Cowboy or Silom.

Décor

The LM’s decor is pretty dated. Unlike the SGS which seemed to have deliberately made itself feel old, the LM’s rather 90s décor was in want of an update. There were also too many weird wooden fixtures for my liking, and too much unnecessary paraphernalia adorning the lobby.

Room
                          I’d booked a regular room on the Club floor, which was huge and seemed a bit like a junior suite. The datedness of the décor was compensated by a big LCD television.

The bathroom was spacious and well-equipped with every imaginable amenity. I was pleased to not have to request for dental kits. OTOH I wished the hotel had standard LM shower amenities (my fave is the Lime Basil shower gel!) instead of the foul-smelling stuff they offered.

Club lounge

A rather fulfilling hot breakfast was served every morning between 0630 and 1030. There was also free wifi, otherwise one was entitled to use the computer terminals on a complimentary basis up to 30 minutes. Happy Hour in the evenings meant free booze and canapés. The selection was rather limited unfortunately.

Service

Aside from the annoying dude at check in who tried to up sell me into a larger room, service at the hotel was generally excellent. Every member of staff I encountered was courteous and friendly. Staff I met around corridors or in lifts would enquire about my stay or otherwise make small talk. The porter who brought my suitcase to my room did not grovel for tips like staff in some other hotels, and instead thanked my very sincerely when I did tip him.

Can't comment on SPG Gold recognition - I did not know whether I got a 'Preferred Room' since it's my first time at the property but I was certainly happy with what I got. I did not have to utilise the late check out perk but I was asked as to what time I'd like to check out.

In summary, whilst the service of the LM was great, the property is let down by its dated décor and its location could also be better. It’s back to the Westin on Sukhumvit in future, or the recently announced aLoft whose completion I’m eagerly looking forward to, W it ain’t but an aLoft should have the same Whatever/Whenever service that I feel would significantly boost SPG’s selection in one of my favourite cities in the world.

Next: CX713 BKK-SIN, Business Class
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 July 2007, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Enjoying the report so far Keith - great pics

Comment

Excellent TR as usual KeithMEL, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X