Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHX-LAX-SIN on HP, SQ and WN (with pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHX-LAX-SIN on HP, SQ and WN (with pics)

After baking in the Valley of the Sun for a year, it was time for me to return home for a while to visit friends and relatives for a short period of time. This meant the 9000+ mile trip from Sky Harbor to Changi, via LAX. So after packing my bags, it was off to the 9th busiest airport in the USA for the 22+ hour sojourn.

PHX – LAX
    HP 32: 737-300
    Seat 19A
    Dep PHX: 1634
    Arr LAX: 1751
    Actual flight time: 0:55

I arrived about 2 hours early at Terminal 4 for the domestic flight leg of my trip (yes, typical kiasu-ism at work here!). I had a (pleasant) surprise in finding out that US Airways not only checked in my heavy luggage all the way back to Changi, but they were kind enough to print out my boarding pass for SQ 37 as well! And luckily I did not get the dreaded SSSSS on any of my boarding passes . I did not expect that. However, one of my pieces of luggage was searched manually by the TSA folks at PHX after it had went through the x-ray machine. TSA clearance was a relative breeze, and before I knew it I was walking through the gate to the 733, which was about ¾ full for today’s flight. Before I boarded, I managed to fire off a shot of the 733 being serviced by the catering crew:

Usually I would take the A319 (HP308) that leaves at the same time for LAX. However, I opted to try the 733 this time round for a change. After all, variety is the spice of life, yes? After experiencing this flight, however, I realize that it would have been better if I had stuck to my original plan. While the seat itself was the usual bog-standard 31” pitch and 17.2” width, the problem was that there was no individual air conditioning outlet above each pax’s head (!!!). This, combined with the crew’s decision not to blast the air conditioning on the ground (fearful of overtaxing the APU, perhaps?) was not the best idea, especially when it was a mere 42 deg C outside. Anyway, here's a shot of the seatback in front of 19A:

After take off, I was treated to a nice view of the Gila River and the farmlands of Buckeye whilst the 733 was climbing to cruise altitude:

Unlike the A319, the 733 also does not have the overhead fold-down LCD display that at provides in-flight entertainment for the pax. Usually, it displays trivia or Brainiac questions that can help pass the time, and amuse the young’uns as well. In my case, the only entertainment I had was having two babes-in-arms in close proximity bawling their eyes out, especially in tune with the changes in altitude and pressure. While I can understand that parents are trying their best to keep the kids under control, it can be very, very taxing to one’s patience. My neighbour at 19C was visibly annoyed by the crying babes as he struggled to finish his sudoku puzzles; thankfully, I had my iPods on at more or less full blast.

Anyway, we flew westward above the Mojave Desert, flying slightly south of the I-10 and we had an uneventful landing at LAX slightly ahead of schedule. My luggage was checked all the way thru to SIN, so I exited from Terminal 1 into the cool 68 deg F weather. I had about three hours to kill before boarding the next sector of my flight home, so I skipped the shuttle and decided to take a slow stroll to the TBIT...

I entered TBIT at about 1815 hrs and walked to the SQ check-in counter. I was attended to by a relative newbie, who seemed surprised that I was already checked in, and also that I had my seat (46H) already reserved online. He was keen to talk about the weather, and he was stunned that PHX experienced 48 deg C temperatures on the 4th of July. “At least it is a dry heat” was his parting words, which is the most often spoken response by folks who have not experienced the joys of an Arizona summer.

After the check-in process, I decided to find ways to kill time – calling my wife, eating overpriced hot dogs, reading the latest celebrity gossip cf. Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton and Victoria Beckham, chewing each fingernail, playing solitare and video poker on my laptop…there is so much to do and see at LAX for the ordinary passenger. I really, really hate LAX.

I went through the TSA security check at 1930 hrs, and proceeded to the gate waiting area to search for a free power outlet to continue my video poker. There, I managed to capture a pic of SGE being towed to the gate:

I managed to take another close-up shot as it was berthed and being prepped for the flight:

After an interminable wait, at 2045 hrs, I got in line and boarded SQ37…

LAX – SIN
    SQ37: A340-541
    Seat 46H
    Dep LAX: 2115
    Arr SIN: 0508
    Actual flight time: 16:41

I have to admit, I love the A345 Executive EY cabin, and I will be sad to see it go, especially if the rumours of its imminent demise are true. For tall chaps like myself, the 37" pitch and 20" width go a lonnnnnnnnnng way towards making ultra long-haul flights bearable:

Unfortunately I was unable to reserve a seat in the prestigious “mini-cabin” for this sector (but at least I would have a seat in there for the return trip in a week’s time). Today’s flight was not full – there were about 5 empty seats near the back of the cabin, and yours truly was fortunate that 46J was empty. Perhaps the karmic cycle was at work after enduring the baby bawling contest on HP 32?

After take-off, the drinks cart was wheeled around the cabin, and I decided to celebrate a little by imbibing some Riesling on offer (It was called "German White Wine" on the menu!?). It was a bit too sweet for my palate, and I did not want to sleep much on this flight anyway, so I resolved to stay clear of alcohol and subsequently drank water and OJ like a fish. To pass the time before dinner, I turned the video mode onto Channel 99 and viewed the plane's progress over the Pacific Ocean:

And I took a shot of the cabin in the pre-dinner mood after leaving LAX:

Speaking of fishes, I had requested for a seafood meal (so I could be served before the others, barring the possible PPS pax seated in row 34), so the menu that was distributed around was rather moot to me. However, I liked the cover artwork a fair bit, and not to mention that breakfast looked good too:

The Dinner Menu:

Round off the evening with a scrumptious meal and a sip of champagne

Tasty beginnings
    Smoked salmon with chopped salad and ranch dressing

The main event
    Poached chicken breast, garlic mashed potato, sautéed spinach and creamed mushroom – exclusively created by Nancy Oakes of Boulevard, San Francisco

Stir-fried beef
    With ginger and spring onion, selected vegetables and fried rice

The cheese corner
    Cheese and crackers

Sweet overtones
    Ice Cream – Haagen-Dazs Chocolate!!!

From the bakery
    Roll and butter

Choice brews
    Coffee
    Tea
    Chinese tea

What I had:

Appetizer:
    Three shrimp, a lemon wedge and some lettuce leaves
    Two dinner rolls

Main Course:
    White rice, a fillet of curried white fish (perch? pollock?), vegetables (tomatoes, cabbage and some unknown leafy vege) in the same curry sauce

Desert:
    Couple of slices of honeydew and cantaloupe

It was pretty yummy though

Comment

The meal service was efficient and by 2.5 hours after takeoff, the lights were dimmed. Here, a FS did a strange thing and asked me to lower my blinds “as the sun would rise”. Now, in my previous LAX-SIN run the crew didn’t bother with this, as the entire flight would be in darkness. Anyway, I just shrugged and lowered my blinds for the odd hour or three, before raising it up again to stargaze out the window.

Krisworld was brilliant as usual – I loved the movie selection this month. I watched Talledega Nights and Blades of Glory – yes, Will Ferrell is a horrible actor and should never have left Saturday Night Live, but he does make me laugh. I hated the National Day Parade adverts that were shown before the movies though, it was a total turn off. Bleah. However, the blasted system hung when I attempted to play my chess games after selecting a few songs on my audio playlist. This is not the first time it has happened – it has occurred on previous flights, including my last LAX-SIN run. So, maybe I’ve found a glitch in the system…or I’m just unlucky:

Yes, I'm up by a queen but the blasted machine did not resign!

After the lights went out, the crew were rather busy running around and providing the pax with whatever drinks, food and snacks that they wanted. I had a nice cup of chocolate ice cream but I skipped most of the other snacks that were offered. In between movies and playing chess, I also took regular strolls to the famous snack area at the port side of the rear cabin. I would have taken a picture, but by then the crew had turned most of the ambient lighting off in the area. There was ample cups of water there, as well as the snacks listed on menu which were on display there:

Savour every moment with delightful treats

Light bites:
      Pita chips
      Chocolate bar
      Pork floss bun
      Sweet red bean bun
      Fruit basket
      Fruit yoghurt
      Warm chicken pie
      Warm ratatouille puff
      Krispy Kreme doughnut

Choice brews
      Coffee
      Tea
      Chinese tea

On an aside, I’m not too sure what the rule/SOP is for pax congregating at the self-service area for extended periods. During this flight, it appeared that pax were discouraged from staying there too long “for fear of clear air turbulence etc.” I can understand that, having quite a fair bit of knowledge on fluid dynamics etc., but hell, it’s a risk I am willing to take to stand up to combat my fear of DVT. On the other hand, I’ve been on flights where the IFS does not give a hoot about people standing there. In fact, my wife and I had a lovely conversation with one old-school IFS that lasted for about 90 mins where we talked, amongst other things, about the old SIA and how much things have changed. Anyway, he said that the rule for the A345 pax area really depends on the big boss of the cabin crew, but can anyone else confirm this?

Anyway, as is my practice on SIN-LAX vv., I always have a snack of instant noodles at the half-way point (about an hour after crossing the International Date Line), washed down with unsweetened Lipton tea. I even managed to get in about 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep after that.

About 2 hours before arrival (somewhere just north of Manila), the cabin lights were turned up in anticipation for breakfast, and the crew were out distributing hot towels. For the majority of the passengers, they had the following menu:

Begin your day with fresh and wholesome pickings

Fruit
      Assorted stone fruits with earl grey infused cranberry juice

The main event
      Spinach omelette
      With ham steak, tomatoes and hash brown

Lor mai kai
      Steamed glutinous rice with marinated chicken and black mushrooms

From the bakery
      Assorted breakfast rolls
      Butter and fruit preserve

Choice brews
      Coffee
      Tea
      Chinese tea

For me, I had:

Appetizer:
      The aforementioned fruit salad & breakfast roll

Main course:
      An unknown rubbery omelette with a couple stalks of asparagus, two button mushrooms and grilled half-tomato

Desert:
      A chocolate chip muffin

After that, the lights were dimmed again (!) until about 30 minutes before touchdown, where the captain made the announcement that we were soon to begin our descent:

The lights went back on, the headsets were collected, and it was all about preparing for arrival and after an uneventful approach, we touched down at SIN slightly ahead of schedule (and a few minutes ahead of the other A345 flight from EWR). It was good to be home, albeit for just over a week.

Stay tuned for the return leg

Comment

welcome to SQTalk N120KF, and thanks for sharing th pics. FWIW, on all of my flights from LAX, they always close the blinds. But i like your taste in movies... just flew LAX-TPE on the 20th and watched both blades of glory and talladega nights (i laughed rather loudly in the F cabin when Will Ferrell was doing his "dear 8lb. 6 oz. baby Jesus, with your little balled up fists, lying in your little golden fleeced baby manger, watching the baby Einstein tutorials"

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Yeah I was busting a gut as well, but I had to stifle my laughs into my blanket for fear of too many quizzical stares from nearby pax

Comment

nice report N120KF and welcome to SQTalk - that is a pretty funny movie - recently there was a moview with chris rock onboard about a rut in his marriage and in places i was unable to hold the laughter for several minutes

Comment

Great report. I've got plans to fly SIN/LAX/SIN using the A345 soon and seeing your pictures certainly seem to make it the better option than going via NRT (744) or TPE (77W) in Y. Just like you, being rather tall the extra seat pitch and width in Y+ would make such a long flight more bearable.

Looking forward to seeing some pics from your return leg.

I've also heard the rumours too about the A345. Has anyone heard if the A345 is definitely going to be replaced on the non-stop SIN/LAX and SIN/EWR routes. If so, any idea what the replacement will be? I guess the A380 will eventually be put on one of the stopping services but what could fly the non-stop?

Comment

Thanks N120KF for sharing. Reminds me of the number of times I've done that route. I've always like the D seat which doesn't have the IFE box taking up space
                Snack menu looks better than it used to especially now that they have Krispy Kreme doughnut. Wonder if its available on SQ11/27 as well.

I think the A345s will stay-on until the B789s arrive which would be able to make that route non-stop.

Comment

Excellent trip report -- made for a wonderful early-morning read. Welcome to SQTalk, N120KF.

I trust you're enjoying temperatures below 40 C?
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

An excellent report indeed

Comment

Oooh, a glimpse into the LAX-SIN route. Over 16 hrs on a plane...just how does one survive? N120KF - welcome and thanks for the TR. Good one.

Comment

that is incredible - 16 hours - do u have to pay extra to use the a345?

Comment

Great report and pics, thanks !
                          J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your nice comments

I apologize if I have not uploaded the rest of my report , but ever since coming back to PHX I have been inundated with work. Hopefully I can get something up for the weekend.

Just a quick post to address some of your questions:

soak01: Go for it! The great seat comfort, and various additions to the cabin for both J and Y+ really makes the time go by quickly. Plus, as I will note in my return report, the relatively early arrival of SQ38 to LAX before all the other Asian carriers means that you will not have to deal with annoyingly super long lines at the immigration counters when reaching TBIT.

I think 9V-JKL is correct. AFAIK, the A345 will not be replaced until the 787-9 is in service sometime circa 2011. However, I have heard from various sources that the entire Y+ cabin will be replaced by the J (Spacebed) seats, making the A345 somewhat akin to Maxjet's 767s. The (supposed) rationale is that SQ is losing revenue from the lonnnnnnnng J waitlists from LAX and EWR for the non-stop flights. With J seats costing about 5-6x more than a Y+ seat, it makes prudent fiscal sense to do the replacement with the projected 5 year lifespan of the 345s. This change is/was supposed to occur either as soon as year's end or by next summer. I'll be sad to see Exec EY go the way of the megatop titles on the 744s...

jjpb3: Its thankfully hovering around 100-102 deg F (37-38 deg C) nowadays, but the humidity is way up (to almost SIN-like levels) due to the Monsoons. Sometimes, you just can't win...

SQFAN: One word - KrisWorld

token01: Yes, there is usually a 10-15% premium on A345 bookings for both J and Y. IMO its bloody worth it - the alternative is to wait for 90+ min at either NRT or TPE, and readjust to the pitch (and smaller screens) of regular Y. As much as SQ as hyped up the new Y for the 77W, I'd rather sit in Exec EY comfort for 16-18 hrs anytime

Comment

"Singapore Airlines senior vice-president products and services Yap Kim Wah also reveals the carrier is studying the concept, although it has no firm plans. "We're studying this from a feasibility point of view," he says."

Referring to all Premium flights.

Comment

Working...
                              X