PDA

View Full Version : SQ Y & SQ C Amenity Kits

TON_UK
23rd July 2007, 08:42 AM
Don't know if I like the colour or not????
Got it from flight LHR -> SIN
if you compare the packet between SQ and CX I would rather choose CX because SQ give you the plastic one and probably can't re-used it.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb203/ton_uk/IMG_0030.jpg

this on from the flight SIN -> LHR
Nothing special for the Business class really.Don't you thing?
Cut cost????may be??? Should have done it better than this pretty
much the same as Y Class apart from the name and the colour.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb203/ton_uk/IMG_0035.jpg

Snaffled
23rd July 2007, 10:16 AM
I tried shaving with one of those razors a few weeks ago flying to FRA and it is truly awful - like shaving with a blunt penknife. It strangely managed to leave the stubble, but take the skin off.

The High Flyer
23rd July 2007, 01:41 PM
It strangely managed to leave the stubble, but take the skin off.
:5eek:

Anyhow, I read from Flyertalk that SIA has recalled the toothbrush/toothpaste combo, due to safety concerns arising from the China-made toothpaste. So, travellers might want to bring our own kit on board.

SQFAN
23rd July 2007, 08:38 PM
I tried shaving with one of those razors a few weeks ago flying to FRA and it is truly awful - like shaving with a blunt penknife. It strangely managed to leave the stubble, but take the skin off.

Have tried it a few times and came out bloodied.
Best to use your trusty 'ol Gillette razor any day.

:5eek:
... due to safety concerns arising from the China-made toothpaste. .

Thanks for the info. Yikes!

MegatopLover
23rd July 2007, 09:04 PM
Have tried it a few times and came out bloodied.
Best to use your trusty 'ol Gillette razor any day.

Indeed. But if your shaving kit is in the cargo hold and you didn't pack a little one for on-board use, you might not have much choice if you want a clean-up before touch-down.

The method I've found helps reduce--though not eliminate--the bloody mess is to use tons of shaving cream (from two or three or four little packets), shave in very short strokes, rinse the blades often, and throw away one razor in favor of another about halfway through. If you try to shave a full face with just one of those things, but the end the blade with be so nicked that it's sure to tear your face apart.

SQFAN
23rd July 2007, 09:12 PM
Indeed. But if your shaving kit is in the cargo hold and you didn't pack a little one for on-board use, you might not have much choice if you want a clean-up before touch-down.

The method I've found helps reduce--though not eliminate--the bloody mess is to use tons of shaving cream (from two or three or four little packets), shave in very short strokes, rinse the blades often, and throw away one razor in favor of another about halfway through. If you try to shave a full face with just one of those things, but the end the blade with be so nicked that it's sure to tear your face apart.

Point taken. Thanks for the tip.

Nowadays, I tend to keep my razor in my cabin bag. SQ's Y shaving foam does it job far too well (far too viscous) as it takes all the shaved bits but try rinsing the foam off your razor. It'll never seem to rinse unless you use lots of hot water.

In the end, I just use my Gillette and wet it with a bit of water since it has its own lubricating strips. :thumbsup:

jjpb3
23rd July 2007, 09:40 PM
Point taken. Thanks for the tip.

Nowadays, I tend to keep my razor in my cabin bag. SQ's Y shaving foam does it job far too well (far too viscous) as it takes all the shaved bits but try rinsing the foam off your razor. It'll never seem to rinse unless you use lots of hot water.

In the end, I just use my Gillette and wet it with a bit of water since it has its own lubricating strips. :thumbsup:
You don't keep a spare can of the shaving cream from your F flights (or from the SKL F)? The foam is of reasonable quality and the container is the right size for the LAG restrictions. (If you don't need the feel of a foam, use Somerset shaving oil (http://www.somersets.com/products_shavingoils.php) instead. Thumb-sized container, and you get a menthol cool feeling on your skin after shaving.)

SQFAN
23rd July 2007, 09:44 PM
Actually, I have been doing that of late. The quality of SQ F shaving foam 'seemed' better....I have been hoarding but recently, decided to use it. The small canister actually hold quite a lot of foam, maybe 6-8 shave sessions for me.

I shall investigate the Somerset Shaving oil. Thanks, jjpb3. :thumbsup:

nickbot
23rd July 2007, 10:43 PM
The Somerset Oil (and alternative shaving oils from other companies) is a great solution - one word of warning, if by any chance you're short sighted like me, and shave in the shower, please don't accidentally get it in your eyes,...it's most unpleasant!!! Imagine me (half blind at the best of times) with an eyeful of menthol oil, stumbling around the shower - not amusing!

up and away
24th July 2007, 12:55 AM
Sounds veeery painful...
A method to create a hulk "in-air" :5eek:

quik!
24th July 2007, 04:00 AM
Yes - it's very painful to use those Y razors...they should NOT give them out as I think it's very dangerous to even use it!!

The ones in J is acceptable.

For my previous SIN-LHR, we were given Givency socks placed in nice pouch that has Givency on it.

UK flyer
24th July 2007, 06:49 AM
I find the Givency socks rather odd - I mean they're not really Givency - do they really need a fancy zip bag? I really don't understand the point of SQ in-flight socks. I've long given up wearing them because they don't let my feet breathe. I much prefer cotton socks.

As for the essentials - toothbrush, toothpaste, eyeshades, lip balm, razor, cream - I always carry my own for each flight in my small toiletry bag (separate from my main one) so I don't have to rely on what's onboard. And mine are QUALITY!

quik!
24th July 2007, 07:08 AM
I find the Givency socks rather odd - I mean they're not really Givency - do they really need a fancy zip bag? I really don't understand the point of SQ in-flight socks. I've long given up wearing them because they don't let my feet breathe. I much prefer cotton socks.

As for the essentials - toothbrush, toothpaste, eyeshades, lip balm, razor, cream - I always carry my own for each flight in my small toiletry bag (separate from my main one) so I don't have to rely on what's onboard. And mine are QUALITY!

RE the essentials, it does get a bit hard when they have restricted liquid that you can bring onboard, so usually I'll have to just not bringing any liquid to rid the hassle.

As for the socks, well they are good for people in Economy, beggars can't be choosers! it's the same with the razors, i felt like there is no point giving it out.

bloob
27th July 2007, 12:59 PM
To get a safer shave..... wash your stubble first to remove grime and oils, and then pat down with hot water (use the small towels if in C) to soften the stubble. Cover with as much shaving foam or soap as you need, and use steady strokes to shave off. Long or short strokes is your preference.

The High Flyer
27th July 2007, 02:08 PM
We should rename this thread to something like Inflight Shaving Techniques. :hello2:

taipeiflyer
29th July 2007, 11:03 AM
i've found, that when trying to shave on board, the only thing you need to bring with you is your own razor, and a small container of shaving oil (i use zirh which i've found works quite well). you can usually make do with the in-flight foam if following this method: ask the FA for two hot towels and place those over your face for 10 minutes. Then, go into the lav and use another towel and place a little bit of soap in it and use it to scrub down your face just to remove all of the grime and open up your pores further, which will allow for a deeper shave with minimal strokes and help prevent nicks as well as razor rash (which my sensitive skin is prone to). after that, use 2-3 drops of shaving oil and work it into your face. rinse lightly with the hottest water you can tolerate, and lather up. shave with your razor in short strokes, and rinse the blade frequently. five minutes later and voila- i come out looking like i'm ready for my first day of college all over again. =)

kevino
23rd February 2008, 10:32 AM

That's funny. Thanks. It's supposed to be the other way around!

wdranne
1st April 2008, 09:01 PM
I was onboard SQ 857 from HKG to SIN recently in C. A quick peek into the amenity drawer revealed plain-white toothbrushes in plastic wrapping.

Anyone has had this onboard before? Probably another cost cutting measure?

ycp81
19th September 2008, 03:24 PM
According to insider source, shaving kits will be withdrawn from SQ economy lavatories as soon as the current stock depletes. Another cost-cutting measure by SQ... :frown:

SQ LPP
20th September 2008, 02:18 AM
According to insider source, shaving kits will be withdrawn from SQ economy lavatories as soon as the current stock depletes. Another cost-cutting measure by SQ... :frown:
Sorry I have never seen the Y shaver. But I heard it's lousy and no demand for it. If a pax in Y asked for one, usually the crew would get one from premium class for better shaving result. :smile: And yes, the current stock will not be replenished. Next time around you will get a better one from the premium cabin. :wink:

SQ LPP
20th September 2008, 02:27 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2870008177_dd6f4e0458.jpg

jjpb3
21st September 2008, 06:23 PM
Sorry I have never seen the Y shaver. But I heard it's lousy and no demand for it.
Definitely, it's cr*p. Given the choice between arriving scruffy vs. bloodied, I think the pax sensibly chose the former. :tongue:

nickbot
22nd September 2008, 05:10 AM
Definitely, it's cr*p. Given the choice between arriving scruffy vs. bloodied, I think the pax sensibly chose the former. :tongue:

As far as I remember (will have to dig out both F and Y razors), they are the same - both as cr*p as each other!

ycp81
22nd September 2008, 03:10 PM
As far as I remember (will have to dig out both F and Y razors), they are the same - both as cr*p as each other!

Y razors are the light blue ones which are crap. F and J ones are white color ones which are slightly better and give a cleaner shave.

slacker
4th October 2008, 09:17 PM
Is amenity kit given out for SIN-PER-SIN flights, especially for SQ215 and SQ216?

Does the amenity kit now comes in the Givenchy casing? Saw it on someone's trip report in other forum. Hoping to lay my hands on one of them.

LOWJHG
8th December 2008, 09:44 AM
Yes it does...in Y only
it also seems that the signage on the J class amenity kits have changed from the palm tree logo to the golden goose logo

StarG
8th December 2008, 12:15 PM
it also seems that the signage on the J class amenity kits have changed from the palm tree logo to the golden goose logo

The change has been progressively started since shortly after they introduced the 77W.

kkjay77
11th December 2008, 05:46 PM
J class now has amenity kit? :confused:
Or are you talking about that socks/slipper thingy?

LOWJHG
19th December 2008, 10:07 PM
its that slipper-sock thingy whatever it is called

there's eyeshades too

slacker
25th December 2008, 09:08 PM
Is amenity kit given out for SIN-PER-SIN flights, especially for SQ215 and SQ216?

Does the amenity kit now comes in the Givenchy casing? Saw it on someone's trip report in other forum. Hoping to lay my hands on one of them.

Amenity kit was given out in SQ216 but now SQ215. Wonder why is it so?

slacker
25th December 2008, 09:11 PM

Amenity kit consisting of a pair of socks and toothbrush & paste was given out in SQ216 but not SQ215. Wonder why is it so?

Chesty
25th June 2009, 11:44 AM
Why is it that other airlines give proper amenity kits to business class passengers and not SQ?

Yet supposedly SQ is meant to be the premier airline...

Kyo
25th June 2009, 01:59 PM
Because business class passengers do not need amenities.

Either that, or it'd cost them too much on their bottom line to provide such amenities to the business class passengers. When they could simply not provide these, and make more profit.

Chesty
25th June 2009, 03:44 PM
Because business class passengers do not need amenities.

Either that, or it'd cost them too much on their bottom line to provide such amenities to the business class passengers. When they could simply not provide these, and make more profit.

If thats the case then where does it stop. There needs to be "value add" certainly in this climate. And when your competition is offering such extras....

I mean even Qantas provides decent amenity kist to J.

MAN Flyer
25th June 2009, 03:52 PM
Amenity kits are a bit of a gimmick imho. I fly most of the time in J and F, and I can't remember the last time I used anything from one while on board, other than an eye mask or ear plugs. And SQ give them out seperately anyway.

Of course it's always nice to get something given to you, but I give all mine out to people, if I don't leave them on board. F kits are handy for giving to Hotel staff on the outbound leg of a trip, and tend to go down well enough to assist in being well looked after at certain places. :wink:

The fact SQ has been so successful for years without handing them out in J tells you all you need to know.

Chesty
25th June 2009, 04:17 PM
Amenity kits are a bit of a gimmick imho. I fly most of the time in J and F, and I can't remember the last time I used anything from one while on board, other than an eye mask or ear plugs. And SQ give them out seperately anyway.

Of course it's always nice to get something given to you, but I give all mine out to people, if I don't leave them on board. F kits are handy for giving to Hotel staff on the outbound leg of a trip, and tend to go down well enough to assist in being well looked after at certain places. :wink:

The fact SQ has been so successful for years without handing them out in J tells you all you need to know.

Fair point, Just that if you don't fly J often then they are nice to receive.

MAN Flyer
25th June 2009, 05:46 PM
Fair point, Just that if you don't fly J often then they are nice to receive.

I can fully understand that. I suppose it's one of those things you take for granted if you are lucky enough to fly up front.

The only ones I've been impressed with in recent years was the LH ones introduced last year that looked like a mini case (the name of which completely escapes me now), but I think they have stopped those.

Kyo
25th June 2009, 06:00 PM
Rimowa? They've stopped 'em? How about in F?

vincent0720
26th June 2009, 05:53 AM
In Y, I thought SQ gives the Amenity with A "Givenchy Bag".
Now they switch back to plastic bag?

jjpb3
26th June 2009, 07:54 AM
If the amenity kit in Y or J is what you would take away as memorable from the flight experience, I'm afraid you'd be SOL on SQ. The amenity kits are rather spartan, but my impression is that they haven't been a deal-breaker.

I think SQ's SOP (requisite amenities such as toothbrush and toothpaste in the toilets) actually makes sense. YMMV, as I strain to think of a Y or J kit I didn't give away, or discard outright. :wink:

9V-SIA
26th June 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm happy with just the eye masks and socks.

Don't need ear plugs since I got my Sennheisers PXC 250.

I can keep them on for 18 hours without hurting, unlike SQ provided headphones.

LOWJHG
27th June 2009, 12:34 AM
I'm happy with just the eye masks and socks.

Don't need ear plugs since I got my Sennheisers PXC 250.

I can keep them on for 18 hours without hurting, unlike SQ provided headphones.

yep i agree with you...the bose headphones are hard to wear and it often tangles with my hair...my own sennheiser is better imho:smile:

ORDnHKG
7th August 2009, 03:22 PM
In Y, I thought SQ gives the Amenity with A "Givenchy Bag".
Now they switch back to plastic bag?

When did you ever see a amenity kit with a "Givenchy Bag" in Y ? I can tell you as far back as 5 years ago, it was still using the plastic zip log bag.

nickbot
7th August 2009, 05:12 PM
When did you ever see a amenity kit with a "Givenchy Bag" in Y ? I can tell you as far back as 5 years ago, it was still using the plastic zip log bag.

To quote an SQ Y TR by icn.sg from August 2007 entitled "Singapore Airlines 77W: A great way to fly - Even in Y" (http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=28045#post28045):

The crew swung into action, distributing menus and amenity kits as soon as the a/c leveled off. Now, it seems that apart from the menus, everything on the 77W had been ‘upgraded’, from pillows and blankets right down to the amenity kits! Here’s the proof –

New Givenchy Amenity kit: Available only on 77W operated flight.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/SQ772/Libya/IMG_6188a.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/SQ772/Libya/IMG_6185a-1.jpg
New sockettes and toothbrush sets! Interestingly toothbrush sets are no longer provided in the lavatories on flights where amenity kits are provided – only shaving kits are available. Same occurance on SQ26 (so it's not just a 77W phenomenon).
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/SQ772/Libya/IMG_6189a.jpg

coffeeblack
17th August 2011, 10:15 PM
I am curious but you guys speak of Earplugs and Eyemasks as essential. I think lip balm is actually essential on a long flight and it's the one thing I always forget to bring or leave it in my hold luggage or just generally not have. Do you guys know if SQ J has any provision for it? Or is it gone with the disappearance of the C amenity kit?

icn.sg
15th August 2015, 01:04 AM
Received this new design overnight amenity bag in Y on my flight last night.
Anyone knows if this new colors/design replaces the existing brown bags or are they only for the SG50 celebrations (till end 2015)?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/SQ772/Dhaka/20150814_065119_zpsmgdj2dma.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/SQ772/Dhaka/20150814_065312_zpsjrkriwab.jpg

ycp81
8th May 2016, 11:12 PM
Just flew SQ323 from AMS today and noticed that the lotions and perfumes in the J lavatories have been changed to Miller Harris, instead of the previous Loccitane. I much prefer the Loccitane products... :(

Kyo
9th May 2016, 02:27 PM
Yes, Miller Harris products were noticed on a J flight ex-BKK mid-April