LAX-SFO/OAK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAX-SFO/OAK

I've just checked for flights from LAX to either SFO or OAK. And it looks like I've got three options: UA, DL, or VA.

Outbound: I'm arriving in LAX on SQ12 on Aug 7th at 1250, so no VA on the outbound...is one hour enough connection time in LAX on a separate ticket?

Flight Flight# DEP ARR OneWay$
    LAX-SFO UA0806 1405 1519 $122.4/$291.4
    LAX-OAK UA6505 1606 1723 $134.4
    LAX-OAK DL7770 1355 1515 $59

Inbound: I'm leaving LAX UA840 on Aug 11th at 1125 to arrive in JFK at 2000, leaving JFK on SQ025 for FRA at 2120...question again being, how much connection time do I need?

Flight Flight# DEP ARR OneWay$
    SFO-LAX VA0837 0700 0825 $44/$149
    SFO-LAX UA1153 0730 0836 $122.4/$291.4
    OAK-LAX UA6539 0630 0758 $106.4
    OAK-LAX DL7750 0815 0930 $76

VA looks good on paper, but who knows if they're really gonna fly?
    /Desert Traveller

The comments I have for your plan for the round-the-world part
    Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
    Outbound: I'm arriving in LAX on SQ12 on Aug 7th at 1250, so no VA on the outbound...is one hour enough connection time in LAX on a separate ticket?
    Minimum connecting time from international flight to domestic is about 2 hours time. LAX TBIT is very crowded usually for the immigration (Well, I am a visitor when coming into the US. It will be different if you are US citizens or resident... aka shorter line). From this TBIT you have to go to the domestic terminal where your domestic airlines will depart. Like UA is from T6, 7 and 8. To walk there takes about 15 minutes. And also many times the security line to go to other terminal where the next flight departs are pretty long lines.

In short, one hour connection you post above is not feasible.

Inbound: I'm leaving LAX UA840 on Aug 11th at 1125 to arrive in JFK at 2000, leaving JFK on SQ025 for FRA at 2120...question again being, how much connection time do I need?
    Again, for UA from T7 at JFK to SQ at T4, you have to take the train. I must say that 1 hour 20 minutes is too rush. Well, I always pick the longer one. And I don't mind to wait long due to the fact that I can get access for VS CH at JFK where SQ uses for their F and QPP and EG members (hope I am right with this). And I believve 1 hour 20 minutes is below the minimum connecting time at JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
      The comments I have for your plan for the round-the-world part

Minimum connecting time from international flight to domestic is about 2 hours time. LAX TBIT is very crowded usually for the immigration (Well, I am a visitor when coming into the US.

In short, one hour connection you post above is not feasible.

And I don't mind to wait long due to the fact that I can get access for VS CH at JFK where SQ uses for their F and QPP and EG members (hope I am right with this). And I believve 1 hour 20 minutes is below the minimum connecting time at JFK.
      CGK,

Thanks, I thought as much about the connection LAX. Never been to LAX but it sounds like it's the US version of LHR.
      Looks like it's UA to OAK then, as I'm not gonna wait 4hrs for the next DL flight. Or is DL worth waiting for?

However, your comment regarding the connection at JFK surprises me a bit. It's part of my *RTW and SK did not even hesitate booking it. I gotta make SQ25 on 11th though to make it to my grandma's 90th on 12th. I don't want to miss that! The alternative would then be to fly SFO/OAK-LAX on the 10th, overnight near LAX, leave for JFK on UA22 at 0845.
      /Desert Traveller

Comment

I don't know which *A RTW you have. But can you reroute as NRT-LAX-SFO-JFK-FRA istead of NRT-LAX-JFK-FRA with separate tix for LAX-SFO-LAX? Just curious.

Comment

I don't know which *A RTW you have. But can you reroute as NRT-LAX-SFO-JFK-FRA istead of NRT-LAX-JFK-FRA with separate tix for LAX-SFO-LAX? Just curious.
          I have a CRWSTAR3, started in August last year...and doing the routing you suggest will put me at 39010 miles according to the *RTWMC. Dunno whether SK would actually let me do that. Plus it's a paper ticket I picked up in ARN. Which makes changing it even more complicated I guess.
          Last edited by Desert Traveller; 21 July 2007, 07:00 AM. Reason: added ticket type
          /Desert Traveller

Comment

I have a CRWSTAR3, started in August last year...and doing the routing you suggest will put me at 39010 miles according to the *RTWMC. Dunno whether SK would actually let me do that. Plus it's a paper ticket I picked up in ARN. Which makes changing it even more complicated I guess.
            I am not so sure about how to handle your situation since I belive you have not started your first intercontinental flight, i.e LHR-SIN as I recalled.
            But, when calculating the RTW miles, I have seen some airlines using LAX-NYC-FRA instead of LAX-JFK-FRA which can reduce that 39010. Usually I use great-circle-map, and the total mile is higher a tiny bit than my TA calculated for me.
            Good luck!
            The reissuance fee might be a saving compare to buying LAX-SFO-LAX in Y (the reissued one can get you booked in D or A class depending on which UA flight you are booked.)

Comment

I am not so sure about how to handle your situation since I belive you have not started your first intercontinental flight, i.e LHR-SIN as I recalled.
              CGK, my first intercontinental flight was in August last year...I've been to Egypt last August/September and Angola over Christmas on this ticket. I'll give SK a ring later on and see what they can do. If I can change it to the routing you suggested that'd be great. Would probably have to get the ticket re-issued in LHR though.
              /Desert Traveller

Comment

Fly Southwest between LAX and OAK...they have flights every half hour to an hour for under $60 each way. They're always on time, and as long as you check in online to get into boarding group A, its the best airline to fly in CA.

I have colleagues flying UA between SFO and LAX every week and their flights are always delayed.

Comment

Just got off the phone with SAS. They think I've got enough miles left to change to LAX-SFO-JFK but have difficulties doing it over the phone because it's a paper ticket. They suggested paying the SAS ticket desk in T3 a visit on Tuesday. Thanks for reminding me of that option CGK.

If that doesn't work, Southwest looks to be the best option. I wouldn't have remembered that they even exist if not for your hint, Savage25...the ITA tool didn't bring them up.
                  If the RTW option doesn't work, I'm still tempted by VA. I think LAX-OAK will be on Southwest, and then SFO-LAX on VA in F.

Will keep you posted...
                  /Desert Traveller

Comment

Agree with CGK, an hour is cutting too closed at TBIT, even if you are a US citizen without any checked baggage. TBIT is pretty crowded and sometimes even the a/c has to wait for a gate to open up.

Southwest is a wonderful airline... really hassle free... just remember to do the online check in 24 hours prior to the flight... with an A boarding pass, you will be all set. Even if you don't have a printer, just go ahead check in and reprint your boarding pass using one of Southwest's kiosks.

Virgin should be a wonderful experience... so go for it. Also Virgin America will use terminal six in LAX, which is connected to Terminal seven and eight of United. If you don't have a checked bag, you can just walk over to the UA area without going through security and get your boarding pass at the customer service desk near gate 70 or one of the UA kiosks.

IF you are worried about the Virgin flight, I will recommend you buying a backup Southwest fully refundable ticket ($125) from OAK to LAX. Just call Southwest the day of... to refund it. Southwest is really hassle free and easy to use. Don't forget! If Virgin America does not receive the operation permit, it is required to refund you 200% of the fares... so you should be fine even if Virgin for some rare reasons is not able to fly yet.

Carfield

Comment

With the demise of Frontier Airlines (F9) in this part of the US, Southwest is probably the best bet. Does anybody remember this wildlife-themed airline?
                      My Cafe Adventures
                      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X