Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on BD frequent flyer scheme

Dear All,

I know many of you use BD to deposit your miles, partly because of the generous cash+miles redeption offers. mrs nickbot and I have KF miles saved up for an upgrade to BKK next year (fingers crossed,...not really enough miles yet so working on earning PriorityClub points to transfer!), but after this we're considering switching to BD accounts for future mileage crediting/other earning routes open to UK based members.

I was wondering whether there are any joining bonuses etc., or other tips anyone here might be able to offer? I've started trawling through TOF for this, but very much respect the opinions of fellow SQTalkers, so thought a quick thread here was the best place to start.

I suppose the upside of BD for me would be the fact that I'd no longer have to use the convoluted Amex to PriorityClub to KF points transfer route, plus there's loads of offers for new BMI credit cards; the downside would be that I have to work pretty hard to keep my KF silver status, and the 25% bonus is useful to me - starting from scratch for a not-so-frequent-flyer would perhaps set me back for a year (but probably better in the long run?!?)

Kind regards,

nickbot
    Last edited by nickbot; 5 July 2007, 07:23 PM.

The only - and best - bonus is, as you've identified and AFAIK, the signup ones for the MBNA credit cards at 20,000 BD miles a pop and you can keep applying! (For example, I currently have a free blue credit card and a free platinum credit card; and I probably can apply for a £60 blue credit card and a £60 platinum credit card and/or churn what I have!)

Once you've earned enough miles for your upgrade to BKK, I query whether continuing with KF is a good idea given the 3-year mileage expiration, high earn/burn ratios (even more so for the 77W) and no KF credit card in the UK ? All these outweigh - IMO - the benefit of the 25% KF silevr bonus and the 15% discount on KF redemptions.

Comment

Thanks for your input jhm, most useful - I'd read about the multiple application trick for MBNA and that's one of the main pulls for me starting a BD account.

So BD doesn't have a mileage expiration like KF? If not, that sounds even better!

Sorry if these are basic/noddy questions!

nickbot

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
        So BD doesn't have a mileage expiration like KF? If not, that sounds even better!
        No mileage expiration but there are the risks that BD may change the terms of their FFP (but that could happen to any FFP) or something might happen to BD itself (e.g. purchase by LH and absorption into LH M&M).

I assume you know that starting from Scandinavia, you can get with cash+miles a F return to SIN for only 50,000 BD miles ? Two credit card applications and £5,000 of spending on the £60 credit card and you're there!

Comment

I've just started booking some miles to BD, and am thrilled by the earn-to-burn ratio, particularly compared to KF.

Haven't yet attempted a redemption tho.

Also the lifetime status for 10 years continuous gold membership is something worth thinking about for the long-term.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            I assume you know that starting from Scandinavia, you can get with cash+miles a F return to SIN for only 50,000 BD miles ? Two credit card applications and £5,000 of spending on the £60 credit card and you're there!
            I didn't know that! Just beginning to look into the whole BD thing and it looks more favourable by the minute Still slightly cautious about the earn rates for certain cheaper Economy tickets, but perhaps BD is the way to go if mrs nickbot and I are ever to fulfil our ambition of an SQ F trip in the 744 before it retires

Comment

Didn't BD just say they weren't planning to do away with cash+miles for the near future? There's a thread on that in TOF.

Try requesting a status match with your QF Bronze - they might give you BD Silver, which means only 38k miles to *G.

For joining bonuses, I know they used to have a 1,000 miles referral thingy. MANFlyer referred me, so I'm sure he has more details on this.

Also, the 1,000 miles per night (upto 3,000 miles per stay) at Hiltons is a great way to rack up the miles.

Comment

I think there has been some concern whether bmi is going to exist in a couple of years time. Personally, I would not be counting on long term (>2years) with bmi.
                Lufthansa which nearly owns half of bmi, has a "call option" giving it the right to buy out Sir Michael's stake between December 2008 and June 2009.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, hsf!
                  BOEING. Forever New Frontiers

Comment

Originally posted by hsf View Post
                    I think there has been some concern whether bmi is going to exist in a couple of years time. Personally, I would not be counting on long term (>2years) with bmi.
                    Lufthansa which nearly owns half of bmi, has a "call option" giving it the right to buy out Sir Michael's stake between December 2008 and June 2009.
                    My impression was that SMB has a put option, rather than LH having a call option. When Open Skies looked like a pipe dream and BD was experimenting with reconfiguring its business class offering, the put option was seen as extremely attractive to SMB but quite unattractive to LH. Things look very different now.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post

I was wondering whether there are any joining bonuses etc., or other tips anyone here might be able to offer? I've started trawling through TOF for this, but very much respect the opinions of fellow SQTalkers, so thought a quick thread here was the best place to start.
                      I missed this thread !.

As jhm says, as you are in the UK you can get the Mastercard, which gives a fabulous 20,000 mile joining bonus. Get your self a second card a few months after the first and that's 40K already. Cash+Miles and one way awards are excellent.

DC is definitely one of the best FFP's around. Sadly that may not be the case much longer as the number 1 FFP Jonah Savage25 recently joined and things generally start going downhill when that happens...

They have also slightly worryingly had a few questionaire's recently about what is important to you. Everyone made a point of saying Cash+Miles must stay. I just hope they listen....
                      Last edited by MAN Flyer; 13 July 2007, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks MANFlyer, and thanks again for everyon'e input - I've just got to start weighing up the options I suppose. Next longhaul trip will probably be next April to SIN, so I'd like to have things in place well before then. I do like the idea of earning 40k ish points through the credit card options

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          DC is definitely one of the best FFP's around. Sadly that may not be the case much longer as the number 1 FFP Jonah Savage25 recently joined and things generally start going downhill when that happens...
                          Several hours later, this comment still has me laughing.

Comment

I've got a nagging feeling that I'm getting a reputation here...

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                              I've got a nagging feeling that I'm getting a reputation here...
                              That feeling should no longer be merely nagging: it should be in full shriek.

Last edited by jjpb3; 13 July 2007, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X