Q's from a first-time visitor about arrival in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q's from a first-time visitor about arrival in Australia

Questions for those who are familiar with the Australian arrival experience, particularly at SYD:

1. How does this ETA visa thing work? I've got one now. Will I need to show the number to SQ when I check in at SIN, or can they see it attached to my passport number? Will I need the confirmation page when I get to Australia?

2. I was advised to avoid the early morning crush at SYD, so I'm now on SQ231 arriving at 0955. Will that really make for a much less frustrating experience?

3. Please reassure me that SYD baggage handling isn't as bad for my blood pressure as LHR's.

4. Are Australian immigration and customs officers really as, um, charming as they've been portrayed?

5. How quick will it be to get from the airport to where my friend lives (Paddington)? I'm going to cab it. Are SYD cabbies closer to those in London , or those in Bangkok ?

6. Any other tips ... besides looking forward to spending time with my best friend in what must qualify as one of the most enjoyable cities in the world?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jjpb3; 5 July 2007, 03:15 AM. Reason: clarity
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Hi jjpb3,

Whilst I can't help on all your questions, hopefully I can answer a few!

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    1. How does this ETA visa thing work? I've got one now. Will I need to show the number to SQ when I check in at SIN, or can they see it attached to my passport number? Will I need the confirmation page when I get to Australia?
    AFAIK, once you have the Visa, you don't need to do anything more - on last two visits (since this thing came in), I've just applied online and think everything is done behind the scenes for you. I would assume that your passport number is logged with AU immigration and they would know if you've paid or not (or it would flag up at check in perhaps). In short, don't worry, all will be fine!

Originally posted by jjpb3
    3. Please assure me that SYD baggage handling isn't as bad for my blood pressure as LHR's.
    Last time I arrived at SYD it was pretty busy (think it was off SQ231 too, Raffles). Make sure you don't have any foodstuffs with you, or if you do then make sure you list them on the form - I felt naughty not declaring the 100 or so packets of Kris Chilli CGK had liberated from SKL F for me at BNE this year took quite a while to get bags and pass through passport control etc. etc., so allow plenty of time.

4. Are Australian immigration and customs officers really as, um, charming as they've been portrayed?
    Never had a problem, but then again the ones I've dealt with weren't particularly engaging. At BNE last trip, the lady looking at the foods declaration form was very pleasant if that's anything to go on!

6. Any other tips ... besides looking forward to spending time with my best friend in what must qualify as one of the most enjoyable cities in the world?
    Mrs nickbot and I love SYD,...many things to see and do. Sure with local knowledge you'll have no end of places to see, but make sure you go on at least one ferry trip (suggest visit to Manly), and there's a great Thai restaurant in the Rocks you must go to,...let me check for the name and get back to you! Sure KeithMEL and other AU based SQTalkers will be able to jump in with more info

EDIT The Thai restaurant is called Sailors Thai, info can be found at:

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/sailors_thai.htm
    Last edited by nickbot; 5 July 2007, 03:24 AM.

Comment

nickbot, you're a star in my book -- and I know for a fact in CGK's as well.

Thanks!

Comment

You're too kind

Comment

2. I was advised to avoid the early morning crush at SYD, so I'm now on SQ231 arriving at 0955. Will that really make for a much less frustrating experience?
          If the same concept applies in SYD as in MEL - yes it's better to avoid the early morning arrival. Less queuing in the airports, less traffic on the roads.

3. Please reassure me that SYD baggage handling isn't as bad for my blood pressure as LHR's.
          You'll find that quarantine does a thorough search of everyone coming off the Asian flights regardless of whether they've got things to declare. Do declare *something* even if you have nothing to declare. Buy a chocolate bar at Changi, anything. It'd put you though Quarantine a wee bit faster and sometimes save you from having all your baggage rummaged through.

Apart from the slow appearance of my baggage at LHR, I actually found arrival procedures LHR to be less stressful than SYD or MEL. No real quarantine procedures in LHR, unlike the total zoo in SYD or MEL. Do my chocolate trick and you should be a bit ahead.

5. How quick will it be to get from the airport to where my friend lives (Paddington)? I'm going to cab it. Are SYD cabbies closer to those in London , or those in Bangkok ?
          A hit or miss as far as cabbies are concerned.

Sorry I've not cabbed it to Paddington before, but you'll find that SYD airport is rather close to the city compared to other Australian airports. Paddington is an inner city suburb.

Make reservations at Tetsuya's, the Rockpool and Aria now! Refer to the 'die die must try' thread too.

I'm off to BKK via SYD today..............
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 5 July 2007, 04:57 AM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The ETA system generally works fine, but I'd take a print of the details just in case. All my ETA visits have gone without a hitch except once at SFO when they said the system wasn't picking in up. Luckily I had a print out with me so I was OK.

Baggage is much better than LHR but the customs and immigration folk are a particularly miserable bunch. Don't bother trying to get a bit of a conversation going or joke with them, they're not interested. Just get yourself through as quickly and quietly as you can.

Taxi drivers are very hit and miss. You could get a blinder who has been at it years or a new resident from anywhere on the planet who you end up directing yourself...

Enjoy it. It's a truly fabulous city.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              You'll find that they'll do a thorough search of everyone coming off the Asian flights regardless of whether they've got things to declare. Do declare *something* even if you have nothing to declare. Buy a chocolate bar at Changi, anything. It'd put you though Quarantine a wee bit faster and sometimes save you from having all your baggage rummaged through.
              I'd read about that somewhere. Sounds absurd, but whatevah. Bureaucracy isn't about logic.

Thanks for the tip.

Hmmm, any recommended items to declare if I'm flying in from Changi? (Besides a chocolate bar, that is, as that's too tempting and too damaging to my waistline -- mainly because I wouldn't be able to resist consuming it. )

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                Baggage is much better than LHR but the customs and immigration folk are a particularly miserable bunch. Don't bother trying to get a bit of a conversation going or joke with them, they're not interested. Just get yourself through as quickly and quietly as you can.
                Will it help that I don't have (by a mile) a British accent?
                Taxi drivers are very hit and miss. You could get a blinder who has been at it years or a new resident from anywhere on the planet who you end up directing yourself...
                Good to know. I'll have my friend's number on hand.
                Enjoy it. It's a truly fabulous city.
                You know I will . Might even write up a trip report.

Comment

Ok I really think the morning crush isnt that bad, the one thing I will say, when you get off the plane its worth accelerating past other passengers, it will save you time to get past those familys etc.

There are two lines one for AUS/NZ Passport Holders and one for All Others, recently I have found though as you are queuing at the Non Aus line, an officer will come and tell people to join the other lines, most people ignore them at first so listen out and pick a good queue and you should find it pretty quick.

I don't find them unfriendly but they are workman like I guess.

Baggage=Quick on SQ pretty much.

Ok Keith said about declaring to get through quicker, these days at SYD its become irrelevant, they have got rid of the declare/nothing to declare the lane, everyone goes through the same and all luggage is scanned.

However I suggest you bring me Pickled Onion Monster Munch and Jaffa Cakes...

And do declare on the form anything you have (wood as well etc), you won't get into trouble that way, the key phrase if you have that kind of food, is Pre Packaged Commerical Food thats what they want to hear (well and it to be true too!)

These guys in my experience are pretty friendly and as long as you have told the truth and coperate with what they are doing all will be good.

Taxis are just a short stroll from the terminal, quality can vary but getting to Paddington shouldnt be an issue for these guys, make sure you have any relevant cross streets from your friend though. Should take 25 mins tops I would think.

Comment

Questions for those who are familiar with the Australian arrival experience, particularly at SYD:

SQ will want to see it. I don't think they have access to the ETA just by looking at your passport number. So yes, do bring it along even though you don't need it upon arrival in Oz (them immigration officers never looked at the slip i had). Besides. the thing is a a piece of paper A4 in width, and 3 inches tall - surely your rippling muscles can manage carrying THAT!

Much better than arriving at 6am that's for sure.

nowhere near LHR's incompetence. IMHO.

In my experience, no to the former, yes to the latter, and admittedly, my experience with saying yes for customs isn't so much customs, it's Quarantine (AQIS) and also admittedly, the bad mojo i get is not from travelling, it's from working with them on some other stuff I had to import into Australia. So I'm carrying over some old angst.
                    Airport customs are alright - they're ok, provided you're honest with your declarations - I did waltz up to them in MEL once with 14000 cigarettes in my hand luggage. "anything to declare?" "Yes, just over a shipper case of fags ta"...... had their jaws on the floor, couldn't believe that someone had declared it honestly. I had mucho Australian Dollars in cash on me for duties - but they let me off as the fags weren't meant for consumption anyway. So be honest - they're oroit.

5. How quick will it be to get from the airport to where my friend lives (Paddington)?
                    It's a LOOOONG way from Sydney to Paddington, city of westminster. 10000 miles almost. I recommend flying. . As for the other paddington (which i assume you mean) - that's inner city maybe (i'm not sure) 2 miles east of the CBD and no more than 30 bucks and 20 minutes by cab maybe.

I'm going to cab it.
                    Are SYD cabbies closer to those in London , or those in Bangkok ?
                    SYD cabbies are closer to Ethiopians/Lebanese/Angolan ethnically
                    SYD cabbies are closer to London cabbies ethically
                    Fairly good lot really. Just don't expect much by way of an english conversation, and don't mind too much if the chap on the badge sitting on the dashboard looks NOTHING like your driver Taxis are to your right as you exit the intl arrival hall. Although at 10ish am, they'll be plentiful.

For me - a ferry ride out to Taronga Zoo or Manly in the daytime. Depart from Circular Quay with gelati you just bought, sit up the top deck, and soak in some rays. makes a ROYAL mess of the hair.. but hey..... TOTALLY worth it.

At night - a trip down to one of the restaurants by darling harbour or by the rocks is a must. Hope you get plenty of time to see the city. I never tire of it. I'm SOOOO looking forward to spending New year's eve there this year!

Comment

I arrived in SYD off the SQ231 last year and whilst I was waiting for my bags a customs officer asked to see my passport and landing card. When I went through quarantine ( I had nothing to declare) I got pulled aside and had all my bags searched - and even tested for traces of narcotics. I had lots of questions asked, mostly about the purpose of my visit and a few about my previous trips to Australia. I was also asked for evidence of my flight details for leaving Australia. It was all conducted very professionally and the officer was quite friendly towards me. This has never happened to me on my previous two visits arriving into SYD (same SQ flight) and into MEL. So I suppose you just have to expect the unexpected. I certainly didn't.
                      My SQ A380 photos

Comment

Hmmm, any recommended items to declare if I'm flying in from Changi? (Besides a chocolate bar, that is, as that's too tempting and too damaging to my waistline -- mainly because I wouldn't be able to resist consuming it. )
                        Probably not relevant in ** case but I always declare that I'd just come from a farm or rural area if I'd just arrived from NZ. Sometimes I even get a free shoe wash out of doing so.

Originally posted by simong View Post
                        Ok Keith said about declaring to get through quicker, these days at SYD its become irrelevant, they have got rid of the declare/nothing to declare the lane, everyone goes through the same and all luggage is scanned.
                        Same with MEL - but you'd save yourself from having your baggage turned inside out.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 5 July 2007, 06:55 AM.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          Same with MEL - but you'd save yourself from having your baggage turned inside out.

Which is why arriving into ADL is mighty appealing........... was pleasantly surprised there.

Comment

Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

Comment

ok numbr 1.

have no idea

number 2

yep ** arriving flight is muuuch better than arriving earlier in the morning with the other plethora of flights; since i live in brisvegas my experience is 99% with BNE - the SQ flight to BNE is usually before a EK and a QF one and barring no lost baggage etc ull be out quick enough

ive only landed at syd int a couple of times but based on other aus airports - i find the baggage arrival pretty smooth esp with priority and the raffles tags - it can be a lil wish washy if u only had the priority tag and can be missed - bags coming through changi though no problem

4. regarding the auzzie staff at customs and quarantine - they are brisk polite and firm in my opinion - since i do use the AUS paspports line it might usely consist of a smile maybe a question of either how long was ** trip / how long do u intend to stay and maaaaybe purpose of trip - after that if ** flying raffles and one of the first through there usually a line of custom agents standing around who might ask you an extra question or 2 if they want nothing too special - then when ** standing around waiting for ** bags as they wont be that many people around yet ** pretty certain to get the cute as sniffer dog - (i have a same one at home) and a customs agent coming around askin if uve brought anything in - its really friendly and there used to most of the people first there responding with comments such as - fly this route many time kno the drill laughs - and usually some comment bout whats been happening around auzzie land -

thats the customs drill in my opinion - dont be alarmed if when talking to the customs agent when ** waiting for the bags they sign a squibble on ** card - just means theve had a chat with u its all guuud

then ull head to the quarintine line - now while good ol KeithMel's trick might be of good use at mel /syd ive never had the trouble coming now last 3 times nothing to declare and once the bags are out im free to go - lol one time they tought one of my binders and textbooks looked like a wooden mask in the machine- hehe and the other time 2 cricketballs i was bringing bak aroused suspiscion due to two items being exactly the same size and shape

it will usually take 15 -30min depending when u get out and if u have anything to declare oooooooorrrr if someone in front of u gets caught for something or the other grrrrrr lol

im pretty sure 5 and 6 have beeen answered quite sufficently

theres my 2 cents cheers
                              tokes

Comment

Working...
                              X