Air NZ Economy AKL/LAX vs SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air NZ Economy AKL/LAX vs SQ

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of flying NZ Y class especially between AKL and LAX. I am familiar with the SQ product but not have travelled or heard much about NZ other than them being a *A partner.

Ex ADL, I have the choice of ADL/AKL/LAX (A320/744) on NZ or ADL/SIN/LAX (772/744 or 345 or 77W) on SQ. Certainly there is a time saving with NZ and I avoid an overnight transit in SIN, but does it make up for not having SQ service or comfort?

Have done SYD-AKL and AKL-TPE. Both on their old B763. Don't have a comparison on seats with the A320/B744 so I'll talk about service. I don't think there is AVOD on their A320 but only on their 744s.

Trans-Tasman was OK. 1 full meal and that was about it. You were left to your own devices. There was a movie on the main screen. I had company so the flight went rather well.

For the longer haul AKL-TPE, I did not enjoy it. No AVOD and having been spoilt by SQ with AVOD, it was rather painful. Service was decent, you got what you asked for. With a smile; wonder if 'please' and 'thank you' played a part.
    Being *G, they blocked off the aisle seat; 2-3-2 config; so that was nice.

Food wise, I don't have complaints. The NZ wines were quite nice as far as I remember.

Comment

From NZ web site:

Our new individual, on-demand system is now on-board the following routes, so you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want, whichever class of travel you choose to fly.

* Auckland - Osaka
      * Osaka - Auckland
      * Auckland - Tokyo
      * Tokyo - Auckland
      * Auckland - Hong Kong
      * Hong Kong - Auckland
      * Auckland - San Francisco
      * San Francisco - Auckland
      * Auckland - Los Angeles
      * Los Angeles - Auckland
      * Los Angeles - London Heathrow
      * London Heathrow - Los Angeles
      * London Heathrow - Hong Kong
      * Hong Kong - London Heathrow
      Well, you can read about it here:
      http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trave...my/default.htm

And NZ offers Premium Economy:
      * Enjoy more legroom with the largest seat pitch in its class (38-40")
      * Lean back and relax with 50% more recline than Pacific Economy

* Each seat has a full leg rest and foot bar, so you can put your feet up
      * In-seat power is available in most seats, which accepts most common connector plugs without the need for an adaptor
      * An additional storage net in your seat back which provides stowage space for your complimentary water bottle
      * 747 Configuration: 3-2 (upper deck); 2 (on the main deck)
      * 777 Configuration: 3-3-3

Comment

I've done MEL-WLG (320) and MEL-AKL (744).

The 744 does have AVOD. Seats are roomier than SQ economy, but Executive economy on the SQ 345 obviously offers superior comfort (and also costs 5% extra).

The 320 will have drop down monitors every 3 rows, and a movie will be played for the transtasman flight. Seats are also very comfy even though these planes only fly short-mid haul flights.

Service is decent. Trans tasman catering is thread bare at best - with the 'cafe style' food being a choice between a chicken salad or a meat pie. Sometimes a quiche. The long haul should be ok though.

I wouldn't do that big detour via SIN just to fly SQ, unless in C/F or short of miles.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 29 June 2007, 10:12 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          I wouldn't do that big detour via SIN just to fly SQ, unless in C/F or short of miles.
          Agreed... The hours spent in economy can be a little (or a lot..) unbearable for this journey.

Comment

If similar fares, being me, mileage junkie, I would go via SIN. More miles, right?

2 segment path: 8529 mi
            ADL AKL 2025 mi
            AKL LAX 6504 mi

2 segment path: 12120 mi
            ADL SIN 3350 mi
            SIN LAX 8770 mi

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
              If similar fares, being me, mileage junkie, I would go via SIN. More miles, right?

2 segment path: 8529 mi
              ADL AKL 2025 mi
              AKL LAX 6504 mi

2 segment path: 12120 mi
              ADL SIN 3350 mi
              SIN LAX 8770 mi
              Well, I suppose the detour isn't so bad if the OP is in need of the extra miles. Maybe throw in a night or 2 in SIN to break the journey up a little? Or go for Executive Economy on the 345.

I've done a journey of similar length - MEL-LHR in Y on QF009, hence MEL-SIN-LHR. That works out to be 10 508 mi - and it was pretty unbearable! Not the fault of QF as I've always found them ok in Y for the shorter runs to SIN/BKK/HKG. But I don't see how any airline can be comfy in Y for a journey of that length and IMO it's much better to stopover in the middle, or pick the fastest and most direct route.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 30 June 2007, 05:18 AM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

For interest, I just did a comparison for my chosen dates between SQ and NZ and was surprised that even flying SQ and using the non-stop SQ37/38 A345 service between SIN/LAX it was still considerably cheaper than NZ

Including taxes the return fares were:

SQ - $AUD 2397.07 (Y ADL/SIN & Y+ SIN/LAX)
                NZ - $AUD 3089.63 (Y) and $AUD 4066.13 (Premium Economy)

As has been said, at least with SQ I get the chance to break the journey in SIN.

Comment

In that case - SQ's a no brainer, especially with the Executive Economy option. I'd definitely spend some time in SIN each way.

Comment

Yup...agree with the consensus....go with the Golden Goose....

Comment

Seems like SQ is the way to go in your case...

I have flown in NZ economy only on domestic trips inside New Zealand... so can't comment on their intercontinental economy service however I have heard positive feedback from friends...

From my personal experience, I can highly recommend Air New Zealands Premium Economy... I took the HKG-LHR-HKG route and got an absolutely outstanding service for "Premium economy"... decent seats and great AVOD as well...

Comment

Working...
                      X