X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU bans all Indonesian airlines from its airspace

June 28, 2007
    Reuters

BRUSSELS, June 28 (Reuters) - All Indonesian airlines including national carrier Garuda will be banned from flying to the European Union within a week, the European Commission said on Thursday, updating a "blacklist" of carriers deemed unsafe.

Indonesian carriers do not currently fly to Europe so the ban is also a warning to the 27-nation EU's consumers and travel agencies not to use the country's airlines, an EU official said.

"European citizens should avoid flying with these carriers," the official said. "They are really unsafe."

http://news.asiaone.com.sg/a1news/20...story12_1.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS...eut/index.html

Similar article on CNN

Comment

I've read a number of articles about the crashes or near-mishaps of small, unknown-to-me Indonesian airlines. Is GA also pretty bad in terms of safety?
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

When I was based in Indonesia last year my office had a policy of only using GA as they felt that all the other Indonesian airlines were unsafe. Now with this ruling by the EU it is going to cause them major hasstle as my company has policy of banning any travel on airlines banned by the EU so this will mean that they can not use any Indonesian airlines. Which considering that we have 9 offices spread out over 5 different Islands means that it is going to be virtually impossible for staff to get from one office to another.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance. I thought GA has not flown to Europe for a long time already.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
            Which considering that we have 9 offices spread out over 5 different Islands means that it is going to be virtually impossible for staff to get from one office to another.
            NetJet (or an Indonesian equivalent) ?

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
              Pardon my ignorance. I thought GA has not flown to Europe for a long time already.
              From the article:

Indonesian carriers do not currently fly to Europe so the ban is also a warning to the 27-nation EU's consumers and travel agencies not to use the country's airlines, an EU official said.

"European citizens should avoid flying with these carriers," the official said. "They are really unsafe."

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                That's right. I thought the same at first, but then the article says the move serves more to warn EU companies (particularly travel agencies) and consumers about the quality of Indonesian carriers, rather than acting to punish Indonesian airlines per se.

EDITED to add: dang, jhm is fast, or equivalently I is slow.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Note that GA has had its fair share of mishaps this year

Comment

This is a bad news for Indonesian tourism. It means that SQ flights from SIN will be in higher demand. And the European tourists would be less likely to fly GA to see Borobudur.

Comment

People will be afraid to travel on Indonesian domestic flights. GA should be okay, but if you for the smaller airlines and Adam Air, be careful. GA has a hub at SIN and they will be affected quite badly.
                      Last edited by WSSS; 5 July 2007, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                        This is a bad news for Indonesian tourism. It means that SQ flights from SIN will be in higher demand. And the European tourists would be less likely to fly GA to see Borobudur.
                        Hi SQ LPP - so what's the best airline to fly to see Borobudur ?
                        Silkair to Solo city ? I've always wanted to see Borodudur.
                        J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Borobudur is near Yogyakarta. No foreign airlines flies there. Thus, the nearest one from Singapore would be SilkAir to Solo. A quiet town. Batik city. It is about 2 hours drive from Solo to Yogyakarta.
                          Amanjiwo is a very nice place to stay.

Comment

Come on upright man! Better fly SQ to CGK then meet StarG and then fly GA to YOG! The new GA Executive Lounge at CGK is worth a visit!

Comment

Silk Air to Solo is definitely the way to fly. Borobudur is only about 2 hours away from Solo by car. Borobudur is definitely an ancient monument worth of visit. Prambanan around Yogyakarta is also the other place that you should visit if you are traveling to Central Java.

Comment

Working...
                              X