Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese airlines to join Star Alliance

From a BD Q&A thread at TOF (question #14):
    [W]e are pleased to advise that Air China and Shanghai Airlines will be joining Star Alliance on 1 December.
    Any experiences with these two?
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

That'd be one huge expansion.

No experience with either carrier unfortunately.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Nah....no exp so far....only tried Dragonair for travels to the mainland.

Comment

I have experienced both of them and to me Shanghai Airlines is definitely a better airline in terms of service despite its smaller network I think this is a good choice since Star Alliance will now have 2 main hubs in China (Beijing and Shanghai).

Comment

Great. Now i can go around china without using just SQ.
          BOEING. Forever New Frontiers

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            Any experiences with these two?
            I've taken CA domestic from Shanghai Hongqiao to Beijing (667 miles) - a 744 (3-class) in F with their new seats but I don't think you always get this for that route. Identical to the AA Flagship Suite (a better bed than SQ old F and BA CW IMO) but with AVOD. Attentive service, typical Chinese domestic food. Transfers to/from the plane in a minibus just for F pax (I think I've mentioned this before - a small airconditioned van with lots of seats, all with ivory silk covers matching the curtains!)

As for FM, I've tried Beijing to Shanghai Pudong; and Shanghai to Changsha vv - all in F and on planes with 3 classes. The tighest seat belts I've ever come across - it was a struggle to put it on and I only just managed to avoid asking for an extension belt to save embarrassment.

The opinion on TOF I read is that FM are the best out of CA, MU (China Eastern), HU (Hainan Airlines) etc in terms of not cancelling flights due to not enough pax being booked!
            Last edited by jhm; 25 June 2007, 06:20 PM.

Comment

No, no experience with flying with any of the Chinese carriers. This is a good piece of news since *A will have a network across China. Its quite a big expansion for the alliance. Soon, KF passengers can earn miles when flying with CA or FM and that's quite good if one only possess KF membership.

Comment

Just to mention also that when I took my flights last August, I filled in the application forms to join the FFPs for CA and FM (why not ?).

Nothing was received from FM until many months later when I received a membership pack in the post (all in Chinese) and Flying Crane FFP card. They also sent me e-mails after each flight (again in Chinese) confirming that the miles had been credited.

I haven't heard from CA at all - still waiting...!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  I've taken CA domestic from Shanghai Hongqiao to Beijing (667 miles) ... As for FM, I've tried Beijing to Shanghai Pudong; and Shanghai to Changsha vv ...
                  I just knew you'd already flown them.

Thanks to you and to UMD for sharing your experiences.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    I haven't heard from CA at all - still waiting...!
                    Strangely, I have received an Air China FFP without even applying for it last year, that's when they were still under Asia Miles (I think)

The card is a blue-ish one with a slightly enlarged white Air China logo in the middle.

Comment

I've taken AC last year...in Y though...and their service were really below standard....might not be the same standard with other *A carriers....

Comment

I flew on Air China last month, from SIN-Chengdu. (Is Air China synonymous with China Airlines ? Thats the airline CX took 25% stake in right?)

It was an A319 with only 8 business class seats in 2 rows. Service was good cos only 3 pax in business class. Food/drink quite basic.
                        I applied for their FFP online but forgot to give the number on check-in.

Will post a few pics soon.
                        J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Air China = China
                          China Airlines = Taiwan
                          I wldn't mix the 2 especially if you're Taiwanese

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                            Air China = China
                            China Airlines = Taiwan
                            Oops, sorry, apologies to our Chinese and Taiwanese friends here.

In that case, yes its Air China I flew last month. They sold a 25% stake to Cathay Pacific last year, and are now a sort of partner airline to them. (This move also prompted SQ to look into buying a stake in China Eastern).

Edit : then how can Air China be joining Star Alliance if its 25% owned by CX ? I am thoroughly confused now........
                            Last edited by upright man; 29 June 2007, 12:28 PM.
                            J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              Air China = China
                              China Airlines = Taiwan
                              This may not be a problem in the future if the current leadership gets its way in changing everything related to China and ROC to Taiwan. Imagine a Taiwan Airlines...
                              My Cafe Adventures
                              Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                              http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X