Would you go to Ascot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you go to Ascot?

I received an invitation to Hong Kong Day at Ascot, sponsored by CX MPC (quiet, CGK ), where I could attend a champagne reception followed by lunch. I appreciate the gesture (what a wonderful way to make customers feel valued ), but I already have plans for that weekend.

Nonetheless I'm curious: would SQTalkers have gone if they had the time? My impression of the event is that there's a bunch of dressed up people (with the women wearing elaborate funny hats) watching some horses gallop. Not exactly my flute of champagne.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 24 June 2007, 08:22 PM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

I would go, just for the sake of experience. But I am a shy person. Thus, would have to have a date!

Comment

Yes of course I would there is free champagne. I can handle having to dress up and watch some horses run round in circles for some free booze.

Comment

Dressed up today for a rugby corporate box reception. Don't usually watch rugby (!) but work gets free tickets to these things.

There was free Dom!
        Looks like I'd be watching more rugby from now.

Oh and the view was a bonus even if I wasn't actually concentrating on the game...

And with that CX invitation - one thing immediately comes to mind, "Know thy enemy."
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 June 2007, 11:06 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

We attend a similar annual client event; it's an enjoyable time and a nice way to entertain clients outside the "usual" venues.

Comment

The dress code is "Lounge Suit". What the h*ll is that?

jeans-and-tshirt-guy jjpb3

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              The dress code is "Lounge Suit". What the h*ll is that?
              ... for lounge lizards like you or I to be found in the SKL and other places perhaps.

Seriously however and assuming that the above was a serious question , a lounge suit is simply what you'd wear for work, i.e. not as formal as "black tie" which is itself not as formal as "white tie".

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                Seriously however and assuming that the above was a serious question , a lounge suit is simply what you'd wear for work, i.e. not as formal as "black tie" which is itself not as formal as "white tie".
                Sadly, that was a serious question. I've found that the English tend to observe a very defined gradation about dress codes, and I'm always concerned that I would lurch my way across the known boundaries.

So, again seriously, I'd need a tie? That's what a client meeting would require (we're business casual -- dress shirt with wool trousers -- at work usually).

Comment

I received an invitation to Hong Kong Day at Ascot, sponsored by CX MPC (quiet, CGK ), where I could attend a champagne reception followed by lunch. I appreciate the gesture (what a wonderful way to make customers feel valued ), but I already have plans for that weekend.

Nonetheless I'm curious: would SQTalkers have gone if they had the time?
                  I would go if I were you. Just do it once for a laugh. One of the best thing about all the frequent flyer 'shee-bang' is about experiences. You do things which you would not ordinarily do.

A very nice gesture by MPC , I would add.

Comment

So, again seriously, I'd need a tie? That's what a client meeting would require (we're business casual -- dress shirt with wool trousers -- at work usually).
                    Yep, work attire - i.e. a tie, normal shirt, a suit jacket and trousers - what I'd wear to a work meeting or anything which requires a suit (but doesn't specify black or white tie) and what was required (plus academic gown on top) for nightly dining in hall at some of the colleges in the university I went to!

Black tie - dinner jacket and trousers (usually with a black stripe down each leg I think), dress shirt (which can have the frilly bits on front), black bow tie and (if you want) a cummerbund around your waist - what people would wear if they want to dress up to go to (say) the opera, what I have/had to wear for work dinners (e.g. our Christmas bash) and for formal college/society dinners at university plus most of the post-exam May Balls.

White tie (or evening dress) - the most formal one - a jacket with tails at the back (what some people call a penguin suit ) and trousers, white stiff shirt with a collar (with wing tips!), a white bow tie and a white wasitcoat. I've only worn white tie a few times (once for a May Ball at the most traditional college in the university, e.g. it was the last to change from male only to mixed) and for each graduation ceremony (plus academic gown, hood and bands).
                    Last edited by jhm; 25 June 2007, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Yep, work attire - i.e. a tie, normal shirt, a suit jacket and trousers - what I'd wear to a work meeting or anything which requires a suit (but doesn't specify black or white tie) and what was required (plus academic gown on top) for nightly dining in hall at some of the colleges in the university I went to!

Black tie - dinner jacket and trousers (usually with a black stripe down each leg I think), dress shirt (which can have the frilly bits on front), black bow tie and (if you want) a cummerbund around your waist - what people would wear if they want to dress up to go to (say) the opera, what I have/had to wear for work dinners (e.g. our Christmas bash) and for formal college/society dinners at university plus most of the post-exam May Balls.

White tie (or evening dress) - the most formal one - a jacket with tails at the back (what some people call a penguin suit ) and trousers, white stiff shirt with a collar (with wing tips!), a white bow tie and a white wasitcoat. I've only worn white tie a few times (once for a May Ball at the most traditional college in the university, e.g. it was the last to change from male only to mixed) and for each graduation ceremony (plus academic gown, hood and bands).
                      Hmm we didn't have a white tie dress code for the college I went to.

We had black tie for balls, special dinners (commencement dinner, valedictory dinner etc) and when receiving special academic guests.

Lounge suit for the special but less important dinners (academic awards, and a few others), and cocktail parties. Thank god we didn't have a lounge suit dress code for 'formal' dinners (Mondays to Thursdays) - those just consist of wearing the academic gown over our regular, casual attire. But the Catholic colleges at Melbourne Uni do have a such a dress code for 'formal' dinners as you've described. It's warm enough in summer to wear the academic gown itself - I can't imagine doing it with business attire.

Ahh the memories of college - I was sick of college when I moved out earlier this year, but now I kinda miss not having to cook or wash dishes!
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 June 2007, 06:44 AM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Hmm...I would go...with the free-flow of champagnes Only Diamond members got the invitation?

This extra little stuffs by MPC makes me really want to stick to them for the next few years...I should make Gold by next year....and try to maintain it.

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                          Hmm...I would go...with the free-flow of champagnes Only Diamond members got the invitation?
                          Nope, I'm only a Gold.

Comment

Go for it jjpb3 - not *really* my scene either, but would certainly be a great experience IMHO

Comment

Oooh Giddy up! Love a punt on the horses once in a while. Used to get all frocked up during spring carnival in good old MEL

I remember it being huge fun especially Oaks day.

Comment

Working...
                              X