Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six of the best rooftop pools in the world ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six of the best rooftop pools in the world ...

... include Changi's at #5, according to the Sunday Times Travel magazine July 2007 issue. Not bad, considering #1 is that of Soho House Hotel in NYC and #2 is at Fresh Hotel in Athens.

Highlights of the article:
    Changi Airport's is the most unconventional of our rooftop pools -- because while it's the cheapest, it's also the most expensive. A dip will cost you only£4.50, but you'll also need to buy an international flight since it's open exclusively to transit passengers in Terminals 1 and 2.

...[F]ew people know about the rooftop pool. Admittedly, it's not long enough to swim laps, but who wants to exercise when you've just flown in from Tokyo and are flying to London in another eight hours?

Changi Airport's owners are not about to get complacent, either. Instead, they look like they're gearing up for another award: only last year the pool had a Balinese facelift, with private wooden pavilions dovering daybeds for weary couples to stretch out on. Your £4.50 includes use of the showers, whirlpool tub, a towel, shampoo, and a soft drink. Views of roaring 747s, Airbus 330s and the odd Cessna are thrown in free. Bikinis, however, are not included, so don't forget to pack one in your hand luggage if you're in transit ...
    It think it was sailaway75 who told me about the excitement among staff when some European swim teams transited on the way to the Sydney games; wanted a dip to limber up but forgot to pack their swimsuits; and so swam in their underwear instead.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 25 June 2007, 12:38 AM. Reason: oops, spelling
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

For the curious, the 6 listed were:

1. Soho House Hotel, New York
    2. Fresh Hotel, Athens
    3. B-Hotel, Barcelona
    4. Hilton, Cannes
    5. Changi Airport, Singapore
    6. Hotel Saratoga, Havana

Comment

Changi rooftop pool

The last time mrs nickbot and I swam there was mid 2005, when I took these photos - it may have changed slightly since then (EDIT - just read the bit about the Balinese facelift and must visit again!), but thought you might like to see some pics. I love the gardens round the pool and of course the view of the planes

Comment

SIN is my home airport and I won't be ever be transiting there in the near future. So I will never get to use the pool, and besides, I dislike sports. But yes, its a nice swimming pool I must admit. Nice pictures, nickbot.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
          SIN is my home airport and I won't be ever be transiting there in the near future.
          I think access is for departing passengers, not just transiting passengers.

Never take travel reporters' accounts at face value. They usually get some details wrong.

nickbot: nice pics!

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            I think access is for departing passengers, not just transiting passengers.
            Yeah, I know. However, the thing is if you are a local, you don't like to go to the airport too early. You will just rather laze in bed until its time to go there (let's say two hours before).

Comment

Yeah, I know. However, the thing is if you are a local, you don't like to go to the airport too early. You will just rather laze in bed until its time to go there (let's say two hours before).
              So your quasi-point about not being a transit passenger is irrelevant.
              SIN is my home airport and I won't be ever be transiting there in the near future. So I will never get to use the pool.
              It's not that you won't get to use the pool. You choose not to check out the rooftop pool, just as some transit passengers who are aware of it don't.

Comment

I am surprised to hear that it's one of the top six. Unfortunately, I do not have a good impression of it in that my last stay at the transit hotel was restless one as I keep on hearing the kids and the pool.

One day, if I'm crazy enough, i'll go visit it. You have to know it is extremely unlikely because SIN is a home and hence no reason for me to hang around Changi.

Comment

great pics nickbot!! gotta check that out sometime- i love to swim.

Comment

i second tapeiflyer - some great pics and since i live basically on the gold coast when im free im there if i remember to bring the boardies

Comment

We had a great time at the pool at Changi when we were in transit between ADL and JNB in March 2006, although as pointed out by jjpb3 its available to all passengers not those just in transit. I only came aware of it when researching the Changi Airport to see what we could do whilst in transit for 9 hours. They had done the balinese upgrade and it was a nice place to relax, have a swim and a shower before hitting the duty free shops. Although part of the Transit Hotel, access is only via Terminal 1, so we made use of the excellent skytrain service to transfer between terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        It's not that you won't get to use the pool. You choose not to check out the rooftop pool, just as some transit passengers who are aware of it don't.
                        Yes, I don't wish to check out the pool. For me, walking around the transit area is good enough. I don't wish to pack some swimwear in my hand luggage and swimming isn't my cup of tea.

Comment

I am a local Singaporean and yet I would go the airport early. Firstly, I can work or get things done in a nice environment such as SKL F where there is free internet and power outlets. So there is not much difference from being at home or in the office But most importantly, there is free champagne at SKL F!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                            I am a local Singaporean and yet I would go the airport early. Firstly, I can work or get things done in a nice environment such as SKL F where there is free internet and power outlets. So there is not much difference from being at home or in the office But most importantly, there is free champagne at SKL F!
                            However, not everybody is as lucky as you. Uhh, I have to go with a family, which is quite restrictive. I would love to enter SKL, but anyone willing to help me gain access inside (if one of you is there)?

Comment

I would love to enter SKL, but anyone willing to help me gain access inside (if one of you is there)?
                              This thread may assist.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X