• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG new C

StarG
    TG new C
    « Thread started on: Jul 11th, 2006, 6:06pm »
    Just got the chance to try TG C SIN-BKK-CDG-BKK-SIN.

Some random notes:
    - Gate agent at BKK (for BKK-CDG) gave me a total shock when I asked her if the flight has the new C. She said no. Then continued saying that it is a B744 so no new C -> that was my clue that she might not know what she is talking about (assuming only the new Airbuses have new F & C). Both my BKK-CDG and CDG-BKK flights had new C. The regos were HS-TGP & HS-TGN respectively.
    - Food on TG C is definitely behind SQ, in quality and quantity. However, paying what I paid for TG, I am not complaining. Just made a mental note to either eat enough before boarding a TG flight, or bring my own snacks to it.
    - Service is also behind SQ, although the FAs were quite warm and friendly. Fortunately, no discrimination as experienced by some fellow s. Some subtle differences on service between the two: on TG, sometimes they just ask you to grab your own pastry from the bread basket, instead of putting it on your plate a la SQ. After meal service, the FAs dissapeared to the galley. On the return flight CDG-BKK, nobody was even at the galley.
    - Seat is very nice. I like its sturdy table. My only complaint is the 'cocoon' which makes the shoulder space a bit restricted.
    - TG is generous with the amenities: an S.T. Dupont amenity kit (as opposed to nada on SQ), and a pair of nice silk (?) slippers are handed to each pax. The slippers are even better than SQ F's on Japanese routes IMHO.
    - They ran out of amenity kits (or so the FA said) on the CDG-BKK flight so nobody got one on the flight.
    - AVOD is very good and stable throughout the flight but SQ has many more selections IIRC.
    - IIRC the upper deck cabin crew ers on the CDG-BKK flight wore new style uniforms but weirdly the main cabin crew ers wore the old TG uniforms. Could be the lack of sleep on my part though.
    - Checked my luggage through (CDG-BKK-SIN TG then SIN-CGK SQ). One of them went missing in CGK - was horrified as nobody could locate it (TG CDG, TG BKK, TG SIN, SQ CGK, and even with the help of our very own J777!). It turns out that they somehow left it behind in SIN and it was on the next flight to CGK. The bag was delivered about 5 hours later at my home with a special SQ 'apology' tag.

MANFlyer
    Re: TG new C
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 8:02pm »
    Thanks for the report. I was going to ask how it went.
    I agree they are still a little behind in some aspects, although I see a number of people who have sampled it think the new seat is as good as the SpaceBed. I certainly don't as I like the width of the SpaceBed to allow you to sleep on your side.

However, there is no denying it's a huge leap forward from the antique stuff you used to get. I do like the new touch screen AVOD on TG and the amenit kits are nice. That's a seperate discussion altogether where SQ are concerned !

StarG
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 8:18pm »
    Yeah definitely much better than the 'antique' ones they used to have. I am lucky enough to have never been on them but just from the pictures I can definitely agree with you.

The new C's table has a really nice design. It is opening/closing mechanism is intrusion-free and very easy. When turned into a bed, it did felt more angled than SpaceBeds.

Was on an AB6 BKK-SIN and arghhh ... I hope they don't use these for flights over 2.5 hours or so in flying time. Legroom is scarce & overall ambience in J is worse than how J cabin was on SQ's A310-200s/-300s.

But overall, I would fly TG new C again. It is such a good value for $$$. My friend just returned from LAX on MH C at a similar fare to what I paid for TG SIN-Europe RT. But it seems like there is much more of a gamble to get new C seats on MH than on TG.

MANFlyer
    « Reply #3 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 9:35pm »
    Good point about the tables, they are very well designed.

Don't get me started on those godforsaken AB6's. They should be put down immediately. I am fortunate enough in that I only tend to get them on BKK-HAN/SGN vv so not too bad. They do use them for flight from BKK to CMB and (even worse) BUS!. Hopefully they will go soon but they don't have any direct replacements on order. It's all 777's and 346/346.
    It's a gamble for both MH and TG for the new seats. MH has stopped the refits for now and although you can work out what you are due to get on TG, their last minute equipment swap gods can ruin that for you.
    Was this good price simply and ex-CGK fare with TG ?.

StarG
    « Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 11:19pm »
    This was an ex-SIN 'early bird' promo fare, so had to be booked several months ahead. Current ex-CGK deals include USD2,910 ++ (single pax) or USD2,248 ++/pax (2 to go) to JFK.

jjpb3
    « Reply #5 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 6:18pm »
    Thanks for the report, StarG. One of these days, I think I'll find myself in that cabin (assuming no switcheroo) -- there is nearly always an LHR-SIN fare that is close to GBP1,000 less than SQ's.
    « Last edit: Jul 13th, 2006, 6:18pm by jjpb3 »

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply #6 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 7:54pm »
    Got new TG C on the 744 on BKK-HKT. Was a nice surprise as I was being pessimistic and kept telling myself not to expect my a/c to stay a 744. I like the cushioning. There was also a full on meal for that short little flight. The seat when reclined was at quite an angle though. Posted a little comment about this on the TG board.

Today I was on the dreadful A300-600 for HKT-BKK. The C seats were virtually indistinguishable from Y seats. Was hoping that TG's a/c switching would come in handy here after experiencing the same a/c in Y for SIN-BKK and almost getting killed by a screen that was rattling a lot and looked like it was about to fall off, but no such luck.
    « Last edit: Jul 13th, 2006, 8:00pm by KeithMEL1985 »

paffendorf
    « Reply #7 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 01:09am »
    on Jul 11th, 2006, 6:06pm, StarG wrote:
    - Service is also behind SQ, although the FAs were quite warm and friendly. Fortunately, no discrimination as experienced by some fellow s. Some subtle differences on service between the two: on TG, sometimes they just ask you to grab your own pastry from the bread basket, instead of putting it on your plate a la SQ. After meal service, the FAs dissapeared to the galley. On the return flight CDG-BKK, nobody was even at the galley.

Same experience for me. SQ all the life.

Quote:
    - Seat is very nice. I like its sturdy table. My only complaint is the 'cocoon' which makes the shoulder space a bit restricted.

I agree with you once again. Table is really a plus for TG.

Quote:
    - TG is generous with the amenities: an S.T. Dupont amenity kit (as opposed to nada on SQ), and a pair of nice silk (?) slippers are handed to each pax. The slippers are even better than SQ F's on Japanese routes IMHO.

the "querelle" about SQ amenities is obsolete... TG has a very nice a.k.

Quote:
    - AVOD is very good and stable throughout the flight but SQ has many more selections IIRC.

Definitely agree. More selection on SQ, also for film in languages different from english.
    Screen on TG is bigger and the touch-screen option is amazing. BTW, system is absolutely faster.

Quote:
    - IIRC the upper deck cabin crew members on the CDG-BKK flight wore new style uniforms but weirdly the main cabin crew members wore the old TG uniforms. Could be the lack of sleep on my part though.

If i'm not wrong most of TG FAs don't like new uniforms....

Quote:
    - Checked my luggage through (CDG-BKK-SIN TG then SIN-CGK SQ). One of them went missing in CGK - was horrified as nobody could locate it (TG CDG, TG BKK, TG SIN, SQ CGK, and even with the help of our very own J777!). It turns out that they somehow left it behind in SIN and it was on the next flight to CGK. The bag was delivered about 5 hours later at my home with a special SQ 'apology' tag.

the same for me.... but mine was loaded on TG flight bound for FRA andwas delivered at my home only 5 days after
    « Last edit: Jul 14th, 2006, 01:09am by paffendorf »

StarG
    « Reply #8 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 02:50am »
    on Jul 14th, 2006, 01:09am, paffendorf wrote:
    Screen on TG is bigger and the touch-screen option is amazing. BTW, system is absolutely faster.
    If i'm not wrong most of TG FAs don't like new uniforms....

Yeah - forgot to mention about the touch screen feature which I think is great.
    I did read somewhere at the other forum that the TG FAs don't like the new uniform.

CGK
    « Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 07:15am »
    Thank you for the report. I should start to branch out my airlines to fly next year. I need to find places to start lower fares in J. Keep me informed, StarG.

9V-JKL
    « Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 10:46am »
    on Jul 19th, 2006, 07:15am, CGK wrote:
    Thank you for the report. I should start to branch out my airlines to fly next year. I need to find places to start lower fares in J. Keep me informed, StarG.

CGK,
    TG has some interesting C fares Ex-SIN.
    eg: J bucket SIN-LAX rtn only S$3,540
    http://www.airfares.com.sg/airfares/tg/7_at_tg_business_class.htm[/url]
    « Last edit: Jul 19th, 2006, 10:47am by 9V-JKL »

CGK
    « Reply #11 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 12:09pm »
    on Jul 19th, 2006, 10:46am, 9V-JKL wrote:
    CGK,
    TG has some interesting C fares Ex-SIN.
    eg: J bucket SIN-LAX rtn only S$3,540