• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best airline to travel in Y on longhaul

Have you seen this?
    Poor chap

Thank you for the link.
    I guess you pity me as well having flown BA in Y!

Comment

He should try Asian based airlines.... SQ by miles is the winner for me, with CX very very close second. The IFE in CX is a letdown... but everyone is entitled to their own opinions ^_^

Comment

This depends on allsorts of factors for the individual.

For example, just going off my own personal experience of flying in Y 'long haul' (not to US east coast, that's medium haul...) I'd say MH and TG, due to the 34" legroom which makes all the difference on a long haul flight. I believe NZ has 34" on their 744's as well.

However, I am based near MAN and as MH have left and TG have never been here then it would have to be SQ for me. It's now exclusively 772ER's and these are much better than the 744 in Y and I everything else I get with SQ of course.

Flying MH or TG involves a change at the worst Airport in the world, and while I don't mind schlepping down there occassionally for a J or F flight, it ain't going to happen for Y unless I've no other option.
        Last edited by MAN Flyer; 20 June 2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

How is long haul defined? I got shot down by another poster when I considered 6-8 hours on a single flight to be suitably defined as long haul?

Like I posted in that thread, I've had very nice experiences with SQ, MH, QF and the former SR for (wh)Y travels. Most of my Y flights these days are the MEL-Asia runs.

I've done MEL-LHR and back with both QF and BA in Y - I don't know how any airline in Y can be comfy on that kind of journey. Did the outbound all at once, with a 90 mins stop in SIN - had an overnight stop in HKG on the inbound which made things slightly better. That's when I suffered the BA Back after doing BA Y LHR-HKG. And by all accounts VS in Y is even worse - so what's with the UK airlines and appalling Y seating?

Agreed that the 744 in Y is uncomfortable. Give me Y in 330s, 777s or 767s any day.

These days I prefer BA's premium economy product over any Y cabin though, it's good value for the Asian runs. I wish SQ or QF would come up with an equivalent product (well... not like SQ is going to deploy the A345 here ), or I'd keep sending my business to BA for those sectors.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 20 June 2007, 06:25 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            I wish SQ or QF would come up with an equivalent product (well... not like SQ is going to deploy the A345 here ), or I'd keep sending my business to BA for those sectors.
            No chance with SQ, for now, but QF are going 4 class on their A380's aren't they ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              ... but QF are going 4 class on their A380's aren't they ?.
              Haven't seen an official source about that yet. Hope so though.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                Thank you for the link.
                I guess you pity me as well having flown BA in Y!
                For you, the feeling was moe of curiosity.

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                He should try Asian based airlines.... SQ by miles is the winner for me, with CX very very close second.
                That's very true....hence I 'pitied' the OP.

This depends on allsorts of factors for the individual
                Yes, it's all relative depending on is/her experiences.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                I've done MEL-LHR and back with both QF and BA in Y - I don't know how any airline in Y can be comfy on that kind of journey. Did the outbound all at once, with a 90 mins stop in SIN - had an overnight stop in HKG on the inbound which made things slightly better. That's when I suffered the BA Back after doing BA Y LHR-HKG. And by all accounts VS in Y is even worse - so what's with the UK airlines and appalling Y seating?
                Are you a masochist? Wow, 90 mins stop..that must have been a hell of a journey. Kudos to you. I always try to break my journey after 18hrs flying.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                  Are you a masochist? Wow, 90 mins stop..that must have been a hell of a journey. Kudos to you. I always try to break my journey after 18hrs flying.
                  Hehe - I was on a bet. Won it too.

But I was smashed when I arrived in LHR.

Comment

... QF are going 4 class on their A380's aren't they ?.
                    Ooh, according to this thread - plans are confirmed and details of the new (wh)Y+ cabin will be announced end of July.

Comment

Servicewise, OZ is definitely on top of the list in Y... never had bad meals with them (especially their Korean food is good but guess not everybodys taste) On the other hand their inflight "entertainment" was(still is, on most of their planes) from the last century until very recently

Overall, I had the best "long-haul" experiences in Y with SQ, OZ (certainly the most consistent in the list), KE, NZ, EK and the late SR at a time long gone when it was the best airline in the world (after all I was born in the land of SR)

JS (also an Asian airline with a remarkable 1 star awarded to them by Skytrax) in Y was also a memorable experience with good food and great beer but I guess not too many people in here get the opportunity to fly with them and they do not offer too many long haul routes...
                      Last edited by SQOZflyer; 20 June 2007, 11:00 PM.

Comment

For me, travelling with SQ in Y is the best, followed by CX. I almost always fly with SQ as it has the timings that I want and it flies to lots of destinations. I didn't like BA and QF in Y (that was in the late 1990s) and I didn't expect PTVs on flights at that time though nowadays is something common on Y. CX and SQ standards are equally good, but if you want to choose one, I would say SQ as its IFE is better. Hope those AVOD systems come in fast.

Comment

So much of this comes down to what is important to you. If IFE is important then SQ are great, if seat pitch is more important then TG are great. For me direct flights to where I'm going is a major bonus of BA.

Overall I would give it to SQ, Average seats, top notch IFE, top notch service, above average food.

Comment

For me SQ is still the best for travel in Y. Out of YVR they are using 772ER, their seat pitch is about 34 inches.
                            I have done Y YVR - SIN and a couple of times to ICN. Doing it again in August to ICN, reserved that last row where there are only 2 seats side by side, which is quite nice.
                            The other choice to ICN was AC which is a very big "NO". Old 767's, "no" IFE, did it once when my son was 2 years old and would never do it again.

Comment

I think currently, the best option in Y is undoubtedly the flights on 773ER. Enjoyed the numerous flights on SQ861/862 with upgraded IFEs and better presentation of the meals.

CX on Y is good for regional flights ex-HKG due to my location (HKG).

As for others...unless I have no other option, I will just try to ignore them.

Comment

Working...
                              X