World's most expensive cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's most expensive cities

Mercer has released their annual ranking of cities based on how expensive they are to live in.

The top 15:

1. Moscow
    2. London
    3. Seoul
    4. Tokyo
    5. Hong Kong
    6. Copenhagen
    7. Geneva
    8. Osaka
    9. Zurich
    10. Oslo
    11. Milan
    12. St Petersburg
    13. Paris
    14. Singapore
    15. New York

I'm surprised Singapore is now more expensive than New York! It's that plummeting US dollar...

My condolences to those living in Moscow and London.

I knew London would be up there! My wallet has been telling me so for a long time.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Does this mean we would not have London SIN gatherings anymore?

Comment

Melbourne SIN gathering then - since we're officially el cheapo?

Think of all the PPS Value/miles you'll accrue by flying all the way here...
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I seem to remember reading somewhere that London's ranking (three positions higher than last year) is due in part to the strength of Sterling. Given that, whilst it makes London even more expensive for visitors, it presumably makes no difference for a local who gets paid in Sterling.

The upside for me at least is that whenever I go on holiday, other places which are supposedly expensive (e.g. Tokyo) don't appear to be or even appear cheap when compared to London (e.g. Hong Kong).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            I seem to remember reading somewhere that London's ranking (three positions higher than last year) is due in part to the strength of Sterling. Given that, whilst it makes London even more expensive for visitors, it presumably makes no difference for a local who gets paid in Sterling.

The upside for me at least is that whenever I go on holiday, other places which are supposedly expensive (e.g. Tokyo) don't appear to be or even appear cheap when compared to London (e.g. Hong Kong).
            i agree 100% jhm. Traveling to seoul, tokyo or hong kong... i have never really thought of it as an expensive city. but i get sticker shock every time i'm in london... considering what a great city it is however, i'll say it's worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Think of all the PPS Value/miles you'll accrue by flying all the way here...
              N/A
              After all, I am a SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS now!

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                N/A
                After all, I am a SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS now!
                Well... in ** case, the long journey over will provide ample opportunity to sample the God-like treatment.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Well... in ** case, the long journey over will provide ample opportunity to sample the God-like treatment.
                  I thought once I reach that level, I should stop flying SQ and taking other airlines instead?

Comment

I thought once I reach that level, I should stop flying SQ and taking other airlines instead?
                    Perhaps that explains why the only other (?) Lifetime PPS on here flies a lot (I understand) on Traitor Air ?

It's a good question about what your next lifetime FFP membership goal should be! I can think of at least the following which can be achieved by flying:

LH SEN (only once you reach a certain age plus other conditions ?)
                    BD gold (ten years of gold required)
                    FB platinum (ten years of platinum required)
                    AA platinum (OW sapphire) (2MM I think ?)
                    QF has a lifetime membership as well ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      QF has a lifetime membership as well ?
                      Yep - LT Silver (Ruby) at 7000 status credits; LT Gold (Sapphire) at 14 000 status credits.

As for LT SEN I think one needs to be SEN for at least 10 consecutive years in addition to the age requirement.

Comment

Comment

Now I better move across the Causeway since Singapore is so expensive. Everything is getting more expensive. GST is going up on July 1, it will not be cheap living in Singapore anymore.

Comment

Think of your wonderful government's GST refunds and the value and quality of services that it offers.

Comment

As for LT SEN I think one needs to be SEN for at least 10 consecutive years in addition to the age requirement.
                              10 years, 1 million miles and 60 years of age.

Comment

Working...
                              X