SYD - MEL trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYD - MEL trip

Hello everyone! Im planning to do a 2-3 weeks Aussie trip in Nov - It will be my first time being in Australia. I know maybe most of you have travelled to Australia quite often. Im planning to do Melbourne, Sydney and possibly Tasmania-Perth in the picture of this trip. Some people said I would rather spend a lot of the days in MELBOURNE-Tasmania than Sydney.. and etc. I was planning to rent a car and drive between Melbourne and Sydney rather than flights.. I don't know.. Any advices are welcome!

Cheers

Originally posted by Hajimbo View Post
    Hello everyone! Im planning to do a 2-3 weeks Aussie trip in Nov - It will be my first time being in Australia. I know maybe most of you have travelled to Australia quite often. Im planning to do Melbourne, Sydney and possibly Tasmania-Perth in the picture of this trip. Some people said I would rather spend a lot of the days in MELBOURNE-Tasmania than Sydney.. and etc. I was planning to rent a car and drive between Melbourne and Sydney rather than flights.. I don't know.. Any advices are welcome!

Cheers
    If this is your first trip to Oz you should do both SYD and MEL. Both the cities have unique features and places of interest. Driving between the two cities is also a great way to enjoy the smaller towns. Don't do the drive in one go but split it over night or two in between and a suggestion is to drive one way on the inland route and coming back via the coastal route.

I would not do PER as it isa bit way off and not worth making the detour, IMO. But if you like nature and some quiet you should definitely take a drive around Tasmania.

Comment

i second CarbonMan. A route between SYD and MEL is through Canberra - abt 3.5 hour (you can take it even easier) from SYD, where you can overnight and visit various museums, most of which are actually free. I find the ANZAC War Memorial worth the visit, if just to see the Lancaster bomber and various WW2 fighter planes.

From CBR its a 7 - 9 hrs drive (depending on yr speed) to MEL, tho again you can overnight at some towns along the way.

You didnt detail what you want to do in MEL, but can I strongly recommend the 12 Apostles (Port Campbell) and the penguin parade in Philip Island, 2 of nature's most amazing sights, at least in Victoria.

Comment

Thanks CarbonMan and Jammed for your reply. Yeah, I guess doing a stopover at some village along way would definitely make the trip worthwhile since I'm planning to be there for 2-3 weeks.

Originally posted by jammed View Post
        i second CarbonMan. A route between SYD and MEL is through Canberra - abt 3.5 hour (you can take it even easier) from SYD, where you can overnight and visit various museums, most of which are actually free. I find the ANZAC War Memorial worth the visit, if just to see the Lancaster bomber and various WW2 fighter planes.

From CBR its a 7 - 9 hrs drive (depending on yr speed) to MEL, tho again you can overnight at some towns along the way.

You didnt detail what you want to do in MEL, but can I strongly recommend the 12 Apostles (Port Campbell) and the penguin parade in Philip Island, 2 of nature's most amazing sights, at least in Victoria.
        Just to answer your question, I am more of a foodie myself- definitely keen trying out good food - organic at least - cool ambience would definitely be a plus for this trip. Shopping - may be not - but I wouldn't mind shopping for any unique things that is made from the country themselves. I wouldn't mind spending time to visit like normal touristy sites like Sydney Harbour and etc.. Or spend my time by the beach as well - if theres a good sun out during those periods.
        Also, Wouldn't to go on a scenic tour as well if there's ever a chance in nature aspects of things.

Comment

I could recommend some good places to eat in Melbourne. I'm there at the moment. I don't know of any shops that sell only organic food.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
            I could recommend some good places to eat in Melbourne. I'm there at the moment. I don't know of any shops that sell only organic food.
            Please do share zilchster

Comment

Just to answer your question, I am more of a foodie myself- definitely keen trying out good food - organic at least - cool ambience would definitely be a plus for this trip. Shopping - may be not - but I wouldn't mind shopping for any unique things that is made from the country themselves. I wouldn't mind spending time to visit like normal touristy sites like Sydney Harbour and etc.. Or spend my time by the beach as well - if theres a good sun out during those periods.
              Also, Wouldn't to go on a scenic tour as well if there's ever a chance in nature aspects of things.
              had me there. For me, meals are defined by the company one has, more than the food. In CBR, a frequent Vietnamese place is called Tu Do in the Turner suburb but i'm sure its not organic =) I do know that the Din Tai Feng in Sydney's World Square has a slightly different menu (and obviously different prices) than that in SGP and TPE. i'm giving up my lil secret here but there's a Thai resturant called Home along Sussex Street, by the corner of James Lane - never bother whether its organic tho.

Shopping is an expertise my better half is better acquainted with.

Comment

Just to answer your question, I am more of a foodie myself- definitely keen trying out good food - organic at least - cool ambience would definitely be a plus for this trip.
                Food is great in both MEL and SYD though I've not been to the former in a few years now. But I've just come back from SYD a couple of months back and Surry Hills is a great location for food. Take your pick: http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/area-guide/surry-hills/9

It's been more than a decade since I've been to Tassie - they do have some great food there too in small towns. To do it properly I suggest Hobart-Launceston-Cradle Mountain-Hobart; it should take a week of driving.

Comment

I've just returned from my virgin trip to MEL and SYD. While I flew from MEL to SYD (was in Aussie for only one and a half week so no time to spare), I drove when I was in the respective cities.

MEL:
                  Downtown Melbourne - Bells Beach - Split Point Light House - Cape Otway Light House - Port Campell - Warrnambool - Ballarat - Downtown Melbourne - Brighton Beach - Phillip Island

Total 4 days.

SYD:
                  Downtown Sydney - Port Stephens - Fighter World (Williamtown RAAF)

Total 2 days

Comment

Once in a while there are some really cheap airfares between them. I once flew MEL-SYD for A$20 all-in on JQ

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      Once in a while there are some really cheap airfares between them. I once flew MEL-SYD for A$20 all-in on JQ
                      Wow thats dirt cheap!

Comment

Working...
                      X