Clear All

• California Here We Come

Planning a trip with family - short 7 days, itinerary as follow:

Day 1 Arrive LAX, pick up car, drive to San Diego 1 night
    Day 2 Day tour San Diego, late afternoon drive to Santa Clarita
    Day 3 Six Flag Amusement Park
    Day 4 Morning Check out, drive towards Monteray, via Ventura
    Day 5 Morning drive towards San Jose, outlet mall
    Day 6 Morning towards San Francisco, city tour, Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Forest another Mall in evening, stay another night San Jose
    Day 7 Drive towards LA via inland highway
    Day 8 Free day in LA, check out outlet mall, evening drive to airport and check in - 0125 flight takes off for BKK

Experts of the area, is this workable?

Advice and tips welcome, thank you.
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Workable.. just don't forget to install the Yen 290,000 device ya?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Workable.. just don't forget to install the Yen 290,000 device ya?
      And what device is that dear SQFG...

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
        And what device is that dear SQFG...
        The TOTO device from Japan With HD screen and multi function

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          The TOTO device from Japan With HD screen and multi function
          Oh yes..... ok, next week when I am in Kobe and Yokohama, I will get one....

Comment

To me that's too much driving in a week. I would fly lax-sfo after arrival and just drive south. Up/down too much.

Comment

Traffic from LAX to SAN can be bad if you hit the evening rush hour.

After long flight, can be challenging

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                To me that's too much driving in a week. I would fly lax-sfo after arrival and just drive south. Up/down too much.
                Love driving, should not be a problem.....

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  Traffic from LAX to SAN can be bad if you hit the evening rush hour.

After long flight, can be challenging
                  Yes, I was thinking of that, but have no choice as meeting the daughter in SAN... I am flying into LAX in the front cabin and intend to sleep as much as I possibly could .....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    Planning a trip with family - short 7 days, itinerary as follow:

Day 1 Arrive LAX, pick up car, drive to San Diego 1 night
                    Day 2 Day tour San Diego, late afternoon drive to Santa Clarita
                    Day 3 Six Flag Amusement Park
                    Day 4 Morning Check out, drive towards Monteray, via Ventura
                    Day 5 Morning drive towards San Jose, outlet mall
                    Day 6 Morning towards San Francisco, city tour, Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Forest another Mall in evening, stay another night San Jose
                    Day 7 Drive towards LA via inland highway
                    Day 8 Free day in LA, check out outlet mall, evening drive to airport and check in - 0125 flight takes off for BKK

Experts of the area, is this workable?

Advice and tips welcome, thank you.
                    Sounds like a great trip!

A lot of driving on Day 7. LA to SF is 615km, compared to Singapore-KL 354km and Singapore-Penang 708km.

Why not return your rental car on the evening of Day 6 at SJC and catch a flight to LAX in the late evening, overnighting in LA instead of San Jose?

Southwest has several evening flights (Short flight, 1 hr 15 min duration), as low as USD73 one way. This gives you a full extra day in LA on Day 7.

Also, if you or your family have not been to Monterey aquarium, do visit. It is very impressive, even if you are not into fish.

Comment

After Muir Woods, stay in Marin County (north of Golden Gate) or SF area. Don't waste time driving to San Jose.

I would also prefer to fly SFO/SJC-LAX, rather than drive back to LA.

Comment

I agree that flying from SFO/SJC to LAX is a much more preferable option than driving. The drive is not only long, but depending on the route you take, may also be boring and monotonous for long stretches.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                        Also, if you or your family have not been to Monterey aquarium, do visit. It is very impressive, even if you are not into fish.
                        Two other attractions in the Monterey area that are worth seeing are the 17 Mile Drive and (if you have a bit of time) Big Sur.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                          Sounds like a great trip!

A lot of driving on Day 7. LA to SF is 615km, compared to Singapore-KL 354km and Singapore-Penang 708km.

Why not return your rental car on the evening of Day 6 at SJC and catch a flight to LAX in the late evening, overnighting in LA instead of San Jose?

Southwest has several evening flights (Short flight, 1 hr 15 min duration), as low as USD73 one way. This gives you a full extra day in LA on Day 7.

I have checked and could not find cheaper fares from SJC to LAX. Even when I return to LAX I would need to pick up another car as without a car in LA, you will be crippled.

Yes, it will be plenty of driving on Day 7, done that before with LA to Vegas, SIN to Penang (in a Day), Brisbane to Melbourne... ...

Still have three weeks to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                            After Muir Woods, stay in Marin County (north of Golden Gate) or SF area. Don't waste time driving to San Jose.

I would also prefer to fly SFO/SJC-LAX, rather than drive back to LA.
                            Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                            I agree that flying from SFO/SJC to LAX is a much more preferable option than driving. The drive is not only long, but depending on the route you take, may also be boring and monotonous for long stretches.

Two other attractions in the Monterey area that are worth seeing are the 17 Mile Drive and (if you have a bit of time) Big Sur.
                            I may not go to Muir Woods as I will be taking the Big Sur route, which I believe would pass through some Redwood forest....

The route that I planned from Six Flag to Montery will be above. Of course I may not do that in a day, may just stop and stay in a hotel along the way, then continue to Monterey and then to San Jose. Making my base in San Jose, to visit San Francisco city (its only a city) and to do the outlet malls.

Comment

That is a lot of driving, maybe too much driving, in such a short time.

Have you factored in jet lag?

Don't push yourself too hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X