• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas - the 'flying dog': poll

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...205195292.html

Qantas rejects 'flying dog' tag

May 29, 2007 - 11:50AM

Qantas has dismissed an Australian survey that rates it the worst international airline.

The survey of 4000 subscribers to consumer magazine Choice also found Qantas's domestic service was outshone by all rivals except its low-cost subsidiary Jetstar.

However, Qantas has cited a larger, international poll as proof its customers are satisfied.

Hmm I personally have had very good experiences with QF. Certainly not in the league of SQ, but QF's overall product along with BA's do make an excellent 2nd/3rd choice for me.

The survey was conducted by Choice magazine - not a very representative survey for sure. Having said that - poor choice of defence there with QF citing skytrax.

But SQ has topped the same 'Choice' survey.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

I don't think Qantas is the worst.. They are pretty okay, although maybe not as SQ level. I was a bit surprised when the news came out this morning. But then again there were only few airlines surveyed. In my experience, people tend to be more critical about airlines from their home country anyway. I have seen many Singaporeans loathing about SQ and Hongkies hate CX.

Slightly OT, my parents flew with QF few years back and they found them rude and arrogant. The F/A rudely slam the food tray in front of them and shouted loudly at one passenger to sit down during turbulence. When they request for drinks, the F/A didn't bother to bow down and put her hands on the hips... I was like gasping... Was it QF or Aeroflot? >_<

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
      Slightly OT, my parents flew with QF few years back and they found them rude and arrogant. The F/A rudely slam the food tray in front of them and shouted loudly at one passenger to sit down during turbulence. When they request for drinks, the F/A didn't bother to bow down and put her hands on the hips... I was like gasping... Was it QF or Aeroflot? >_<
      Well - I hope neither you nor your parents judged the airline based on that flight. Consistently bad experiences are one thing but it is another altogether if it's just an anomalous experience. There are black sheep crew members on any airline. I've had subpar experiences on most airlines I'd consider to be excellent airlines on the whole but I don't leave the one or two bad flight thinking the whole airline is crap based on that isolated bad experience. I write to customer service of both subpar AND superb experiences so they'd know what's going on inflight.

Go read the vitriol in the SMH forum btw - pretty amusing. "I'm a Platinum customer with Qantas - had one bad flight this morning where the hostie gave me an orange instead of the apple i asked for and hence they're the worst airline on the face of this planet and probably Mars and I'd never fly with them ever again." Think the SQ comments on skytrax. Please...
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 29 May 2007, 03:22 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Well.. I just wanna say my parents' experience. My flights with QF has so far been pretty okay. Nothing great, but nothing bad either. My judgment towards QF has been pretty neutral, but I was just surprised at my parents' experience which probably "out of the world" for QF standards.

Skytrax.. Oh please.. dont even mention that website....

Comment

The same sort of consumers who seem to think that VS economy is the bee's knees despite the cattle truck conditions (even more so than normal)...

Comment

Anyone noticed how all of sudden Qantas is on the TV advertising how great they are.. saw the ad's around 2 to 3 times tonight. Up until 2 or so years ago.. we fly qantas all the time.. until we made the moved to Singapore Airlines... after some pushing and negotiating from me to secure a better deal for excess baggge requirments...and we have never looked back. They have always looked after us ex-Brisbane. Wish I could avoid Q domestically in Australia.. but compared to Virgin.. Qantas is better. My last trip to the US was with Qantas in Bus.. and it was very ordinary. And the steward just returned fromholidays that day and what he said to me summed Qantas up.. "what am I doing here".

question

Comment

The steward could have meant that in jest, perhaps? Typical Australian humour which I find very refreshing on QF. Very YMMV though I must concede. But one of the reasons why I enjoy flying with the red rat is the familiar feeling of home the moment I see the red tail overseas - it's like being home already despite still being millions of miles away. The people who run the airline can get up to their theatrics but they'd never be able to remove the Australianness from the frontline staff. (Although I admit I might feel differently if AN is still flying) I too enjoy flying SQ but for totally different reasons. SQ is like a luxurious 7 star hotel - QF is like my comfy, albeit slightly faded, couch at home.

Well the ads were launched last week - way before the Choice survey was published. They are clearly an attempt at damage control after the failed APA bid. Without a doubt the QF brand was damaged by the whole takeover circus. People now realised that perhaps, *shock and horror* - the clowns running QF never had an intention to call Australia home after all? Notice how the theme of the ads focussed on QF's "commitment" to Australia?
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 30 May 2007, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                But one of the reasons why I enjoy flying with the red rat is the familiar feeling of home the moment I see the red tail overseas - it's like being home already despite still being millions of miles away.
                You took the QF ultra-longhaul service from Pluto ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  You took the QF ultra-longhaul service from Pluto ?

Space tourism hey...

Comment

The steward could have meant that in jest, perhaps? Typical Australian humour which I find very refreshing on QF. Very YMMV though I must concede. But one of the reasons why I enjoy flying with the red rat is the familiar feeling of home the moment I see the red tail overseas -
                    Totally aggree on the familiar home... after treaking through various countries over a short space of time.. when get on board Q and also hear Australian Artist playing... that is a good feeling to know you are not that far from home... ok 24 hours give or take.... but push comes to shove... service on Q still not up to SQ standards.

Well the ads were launched last week - way before the Choice survey was published. ?
                    Ok... as I live in regional area outside of BNE.. the first time I saw them was last night. My tv viewig these days with a bunch of kids at home is limtied to torrents... far easier and now ads.

I would really like to support our locally owned Airline (Local at this stage anyway) but when you dont get looked after you search for other options. We dont travel Bus.. so it Y all the way (that should change soon).. but even taking Bus with Qantas to LA in Feb... all I thought was what a waste of money. Yeah got some nicer food (for qantas)... and yeah got to lie down and that was a nice bonus.. but seriouly the rest of their service was exceptionally ordinary... thats outside them stuffing up my breakfast order not just once .. but 3 times in row. Hey but they did give me a bottle of wine... but still really ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by whatsthequestionnow View Post
                      service on Q still not up to SQ standards.
                      Never doubted that.

Comment

Wonder if people have seen this video yet: http://204.3.201.164/QF/QantasAd.avi

A satirical version of QF's "I still call Australia home" ad by The Chaser - which is probably a lot more in line with reality...

Comment

Working...
                        X