Nasi Lemak on SQ800 SIN-PEK (J) Red-Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasi Lemak on SQ800 SIN-PEK (J) Red-Eye

I recently flew SQ800 SIN-PEK in J. This was a 12.55am departure and arrival at 7.05am, with a flight time around, or just under, 6 hours.

In terms of catering, SQ calls this their "Sleeper Service" menu: A fairly streamlined (i.e. cut-down) menu with just a single main course -- no starter or dessert to speak of, which you can have either as supper after take-off or for breakfast before landing. They say this is to maximize the amount of sleep you get on this flight (Although the skeptic in me says this is also a great way to cut costs...).

The last time I flew this route many months ago, I had a wonderful Bak Kut Teh supper.

This time, I was a little surprised to find that, while the menu was positioned as supper after take-off, or breakfast before landing, most of the dishes were breakfast dishes, and that none of the choices available would have counted as a proper supper. Am I the only one who wishes for a more elaborate supper offering on this flight?

This was the menu on offer:

When I booked the flight, I had planned to have supper onboard. I had no interest in being woken up 2+ hours before landing, at around 5am, for breakfast...

To be frank, none of the choices really interested me. Most were breakfast dishes. I made a mental note to do a BTC (Book The Cook) the next time I flew this route.

The most interesting supper item on the menu was nasi lemak, a local Asian dish, comprising coconut-flavoured rice, chilli and various dishes such as egg, chicken, fish (ikan bilis...small deep-fried fish) and sambal chilli which is popular for breakfast in Singapore and Malaysia, and would work fine for a meal at other times as well.

Nasi lemak is a dish which you get at hawker centres and food courts in Singapore for S$3 or less...how would SQ's business class version compare?
    Last edited by yflyer; 26 October 2014, 01:15 AM.

My nasi lemak was served right after take-off...

This looked like a "deluxe" version of nasi lemak, with more substantial meat and seafood dishes than the run-of-the-mill versions served in hawker centres, and comparable to some of the more up-market nasi lemak stalls you get in Singapore (Like the one at Changi Village Food Centre, for example, with it's long queues...).

Apart from a large helping of coconut rice, you had a large piece of chicken, succulent shrimp, slices of egg omelette, a small piece of otak, and a large helping of the all-important sambal chilli sauce.

A large bowl of crisp ikan bilis (deep fried fish) was provided separately.

Last edited by yflyer; 26 October 2014, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Verdict?

This was actually quite delicious. Setting aside the minor quibbles I had about the shortened meal service format and lack of other supper options, I have to acknowledge that taken on its own terms, the nasi lemak was excellent. The coconut rice was warm, and had beautiful flavour and texture.

The sambal chilli had quite a kick, and the ikan bilis was still crisp. The chicken was still juicy and not too dry.

I also liked the fact that the plate was lined with a banana leaf -- a very authentic touch.

Overall, this was very satisfying -- an intensely flavourful dish that worked well, and would easily withstand comparison with nasi lemak served on the ground in coffee shops and hawker centres.
      Last edited by yflyer; 26 October 2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Apart from the nasi lemak, you were also served a bowl of fruit (on the tray) and coffee/tea-- and that was it for meal service.

On this flight, at least in my section of the cabin, most of the other pax (at least those who opted to eat) chose to have breakfast rather than supper. I slept though it all of course...

Comment

Just for completeness, this is the brunch menu served on the return leg PEK-SIN...

And to wrap-up, here is a totally superfluous shot of a LOT 787 which pulled up at the gate next to us just as we were deplaning...

Comment

On red eyes to Japan, I ALWAYS BTC nasi lemak and ask them to serve it for breakfast.

Breakfasts menu offered not very interesting

Comment

Seriously, at 1:45am, oftentimes 2:10am when the serve pax on SQ800, many a time I've given other pax the incredulous look of disbelief as they tuck into whatever's being served. And as a regular on this very flight, I can attest to this flight having one of the most unexciting menu options SQ-wide. BTC brekkie is the best way to go, congee, soup or fish an hour before landing is what I tend to aim for.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                Seriously, at 1:45am, oftentimes 2:10am when the serve pax on SQ800, many a time I've given other pax the incredulous look of disbelief as they tuck into whatever's being served. And as a regular on this very flight, I can attest to this flight having one of the most unexciting menu options SQ-wide. BTC brekkie is the best way to go, congee, soup or fish an hour before landing is what I tend to aim for.
                How did you BTC brekkie items on a redeye? The meal is listed as supper and thus cannot choose brekkie items, isn't it?

Comment

I've done it previously, so it's possible

Comment

Originally posted by bluepanda View Post
                    How did you BTC brekkie items on a redeye? The meal is listed as supper and thus cannot choose brekkie items, isn't it?
                    Just let the crew know that you will not be having the BTC for supper and that you want it instead to be served for breakfast.

I've not had any problems with that request when I fly SQ62 which takes off at 0230, which they probably believe helps the pax get adjusted to Houston time.

Comment

I think he's asking with regards to selection of brekkie-items BTC prior to flight

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        I think he's asking with regards to selection of brekkie-items BTC prior to flight
                        Ah!

Comment

I was on the redeye to SYD, and tried to BTC online, but none of the brekkie items were on the list. Called the hotline and was told since meal isn't indicated as breakfast, thus they are not offered. Didn't push further.

Comment

Working...
                          X