One from the archives:SQFG's Tahitian Prop adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One from the archives:SQFG's Tahitian Prop adventure

Just digging through some older photos - thought i'd put some pics up from my older trips. To come: some Varig and Air New Zealand prop reports.

Decided one day that I had to go to French Polynesia, and that I wanted to go to Bora Bora. It's just one of those "things to do before you die" items.

Papeete (PPT) airport. Your entry point into french polynesia. Not the most comfy nor friendly airport in the world. In fact, downright terrible by Changi Standards, but this IS Tahiti

Coffee House - which serves EXTREMELY expensive stuff. Osloans, Tokyo-ites, Londoners, Helsinkians - you think your home is expensive? You ain't seen nothing yet. I paid the equivalent of around 18 USD for a Diet Coke (savoured till the last drop)

Arrivals area

Flight Signboard

Air Tahiti Nui (TN) A340's - not to be confused with the separate Air Tahiti (VT)

Last edited by SQflyergirl; 29 December 2007, 11:20 PM.

pt 2

My ride for the short 6 minute hop from PPT to Moorea (MOZ). This flight is technically operated by Air Moorea with an Air Tahiti Flight number. There are some shorter sched flights (Westray to Papa Westray in the Orkney Islands at 2 minutes) - but this one was the shortest I've ever been on. There was no BTC, i assure you

Air Tahiti uses bigger ATR72's for the "longer" routes.

Raiatea Airport (RFP) (A short stop from my flight from MOZ to Bora Bora (BOB)

Safety Card

Some Island along the way
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 6 March 2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Pt 3

Approach into BOB- Arguably the most beautiful island in the world. This camerawoman does the place no justice

Bora Bora Airport

Last but not least, my cute little rental Fiat. 150 USD per hour

Air Tahiti is very much no service - you get a bottle of water and that's it. It however, is NOT low cost. I paid about 450 USD for 100ish miles of flying.

Still, at least, I got that checked off my list of places to go before i die
      Last edited by SQflyergirl; 6 March 2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

loving the pics SQFG

loving the pics report here SQFG - these more exotic ones are refreshing admist all the recent ones with the new 77W - keep it flowing u

Comment

Wow....US$18 for a Diet Coke and US$450 for that short trip....even more expensive than an SQ Y-ticket HKG-SIN

You must be relieved ticking that place off the must-to-go place

Comment

SQflyergirl! So you have been there, done that! I was planning for the Queen and I to visit Tahiti for our honeymoon, alas the high costs put us off. I understand a night in an overwater bungalow would have put us back by S$1,000. So we went to meet dear old Santa Claus and play with reindeers and huskies in Finland instead.

Still, Tahiti remains one of the must-go places to visit. Thanks for the tips. Now we know what to expect!
            My Cafe Adventures
            Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
            http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Air Tahiti uses bigger ATR72's for the "longer" routes.
              I had a little turboprop adventure myself this weekend just gone.

I took a smaller ATR42 Air France flight (operated by Brit Air / Airlinair ) from Paris Orly to Rennes (40 mins) and back to CDG the next day. Never mind that I probably would have got there in about the same time taking the TGV train...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                I had a little turboprop adventure myself this weekend just gone.

I took a smaller ATR42 Air France flight (operated by Brit Air / Airlinair ) from Paris Orly to Rennes (40 mins) and back to CDG the next day.
                My humble experience on the ATR72 was had on an Air New Zealand Link flight between Dunedin and Christchurch in November 2005.
                My Cafe Adventures
                Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Sorry, I was trying to add some pictures of my trip to Tahiti via the Cook Islands this year on NZ but pictures didn't show in the thread, trying to figure out how to do it now.
                  Bear with me........

By the way, I had a very pleasant experience at the airport, found people to be very friendly and helpful. I especially liked, when arriving every passenger after deplaning and before entering the immigration hall recieves a warm "La Orana" and a Tiare flower.

I am still trying to figure out how to get the pictures in here.
                  Last edited by yvrcnx; 7 June 2007, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Comprehensive instructions on inserting pics here: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      Comprehensive instructions on inserting pics here: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303
                      Thank you KeithMEL, read the instructions but somehow still not able to work it out.
                      I have my pictures in Picasa Web Album, but don't seem to able to get the pictures URL - quite embarrassing.
                      Last edited by yvrcnx; 7 June 2007, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yvrcnx View Post
                        Thank you KeithMEL, read the instructions but somehow still not able to work it out.
                        I have my pictures in Picasa Web Album, but don't seem to able to get the pictures URL - quite embarrassing.
                        Try right-clicking on the picture and then click on 'Properties'. One of the fields should be 'Address (URL)'.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                          Try right-clicking on the picture and then click on 'Properties'. One of the fields should be 'Address (URL)'.
                          Thank you jjpb3. That is better. But still not working, it doesn't show the pictures it does for SQflyergirl. I'll keep trying.
                          Last edited by yvrcnx; 7 June 2007, 02:48 AM.

Comment

I figured it out
                            I transfered my pictures to Imagestation and here they are:

Stop-over in the Cook Islands:

Leaving Bora Bora:

Now that I know how to do this I'll share more of my pictures in the future.
                            Thank you all for helping me on this one, really appreciate it.

Comment

SQFG, I hope you don't mind I am adding a few more pictures of my Southpacific trip. I didn't want to start a new thread and it goes nicely into what you have started.

Here are a few more pictures;

Bora Bora Airport:

NZ 767 just arrived from LAX and will take us on to AKL via RAR:
                              (This service is now discontinued)

Bora Bora, this is the ferry shuttleing passengers between the main island and the airport in Bora Bora:

Descending into Rarotonga, Cook Islands; quite an experience landing in 767 on a relatively small runway:

Papeete, photo taken from the speed ferry taking us to Moorea:

Leaving Moorea (by boat):

Comment

Working...
                              X