Why Tiger will never beat Air Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Tiger will never beat Air Asia

For my personal trips to KL, I have flown Air Asia and Jetstar and I will have my first flight on TigerAir in 2 days time. Cheap? Yes, Tiger was cheaper than the other 2.... but....

1) Stupid web check in. There are 3 of us booked together, and when I tried to web check in, only I was eligible for web check in. The 2 others with me can only check in at the counter. All Spore citizens/residents. HOW STUPID IS THAT? Air Asia and Jetstar allow any regular pax to check in online, regardless of whether individual or group ..... What is the point of allowing 1 person in a group to do web check in?

I tried to call to ask why and of course, waited and waited and gave up.

2) Payment - with Air Asia, I could do NETS payment with only a $4 per transaction service charge. Tiger? Well, had to do AXS ($6 per transaction) which means time and effort or $9 per pax for credit card.... Again AA is ahead of Tiger.

3) Punctuality/Cancellations - Tiger has a reputation as we all know - this is anecdotal but ....

Let's see how the flight goes.... it may be my first and last time on Tiger.... not a good start at all, and I haven't even left home yet.

For 1), could it be because the other 2 are seated at emergency exit rows?

Comment

No it is the same booking with 3 pax. I can check in, my wife and son (adult) cannot check in. I did not book any seats.....

My son is NOT eligible for emex seats because he is 14 (min is 15).

I think they just don't want to allow seat changes unless you pay first. Air Asia does not allow seat changes but you have the option to pay and change. Tiger gives no such option....

So I can't web check in.....

Comment

Tiger will not be able to even play catch up with Air Asia for some time to come. Even if you can do a web check-in online in S'pore, you still cant do it for your flight back or from other overseas stations - even you can web check in from just neighbouring KL - and still have to go to the airport and join the long and often slow queue.
        Jetstar Asia also scores better than Tiger.

Comment

I decided to drop by for lunch at the airport today and since I was there, I decided to check in early, because the website says

Row 11
          - Early Check-in : available from 0400hr to 2359hrs
          - Express Check-in : available for passengers with hand-carry bags only
          - Group Check-in : available for itinerary with 10 people or more
          - Tigerplus Check-in: available for Tigerplus passengers.
          - Web Check-in : available for Singapore passport holders departing from Singapore only. Web Check-in service is available at www.tigerair.com/webcheck

Row 12
          Common Row Check-in

So I get to Row 11 and there was only the Tigerplus, Web and Common check in in Row 11. There was another Common check in at Row 12. So I went and asked "where is the early check in?" and the answer was "No, there is NO early check in, you have to come on the day of departure".....

So I went to the ticketing counter and asked "is it possible to change my booking to allow web check in for all pax" and the answer was NO, they can't do it - please call the service line. Which of course, is impossible to get through.....

SO:
          1) The website is wrong and out of date; OR
          2) They don't deliver what they promise.....

If this was a Malaysian airline, OK sort of expected, but wait ... Air Asia is Malaysian and they do far better than Tiger .... which is Singaporean ... or is it that the Ryan Air influence is just too strong in Tiger (when they started, they hired ex-Ryan managers).

So, Tiger will not only NEVER catch up, the GAP will INCREASE .... no wonder they were 30% cheaper than either AA or Jetstar for that particular day - which also spells trouble for profitability...

And SQ has to watch out, because how Tiger performs is a reflection on SQ management - and Air Asia is not standing still at all.
          Last edited by Russ; 15 March 2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Thankfully the actual check in and flight went smoothly. And they did seat 3 of us together, which Air Asia tends not to do unless you pay for seats. Boarding was by rows of 5 so that worked well without the usual crowding issue. When we arrived in KL, well, Air Asia provides 2 stairs for disembarking, Tiger only 1 in front.... so it took a while to get everyone off.

Looking forward to KLIA 2 (not in the first few weeks of operations, of course)

Comment

Working...
            X