• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Alliance not rulling out Virgin Blue

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

Star leaves door open for Virgin

Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
    May 18, 2007

STAR Alliance has not ruled out reopening discussions with Virgin Blue about possible membership in its rapidly expanding airline grouping.

While Star believes member airlines such as Singapore Airlines, United Airlines and Air New Zealand give its customers good access to Australia, it has never filled the void left by the collapse of Ansett.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Oh goody goody!

Comment

bout bloody time we had a domestic * carrier since ansett

Comment

Comment

my sentiments exactly 9V

Comment

Ooh, I does that mean those hip "The lounge" lounges get designated as *G ones?

Comment

That would be nice if they did that!

Used to be an Ansett FF before joining KF. Still feeling the pain of loosing more than 530,000 FF points....

Comment

eg5000 i feel your pain i didnt lose as many as you but 180 000 miles is still quite a bit - dont even get started on how many my family lost

haha sqfg i agree those virgin lounges are quite unique

Comment

If Star Alliance does accept Virgin Blue as a certified *A airline, does that mean DJ will introduce a premium product.

i.e.
                  Business Class/Premium Economy
                  *G Check-in
                  Priority Baggage etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ225 View Post
                    If Star Alliance does accept Virgin Blue as a certified *A airline, does that mean DJ will introduce a premium product.

i.e.
                    *G Check-in
                    Priority Baggage etc.?
                    That's usually the case.

FWIW DJ will be introducing premium products and services on its new long haul airline.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ225 View Post

i.e.
                      *G Check-in
                      Priority Baggage etc.?
                      http://virginblue.com.au/AboutUs/Med...s/P_002025.htm

It's not SQ F...but it's a start.

If DJ did join Star...where would that leave the rest of the Virgin brand. SQ owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic (which they don't wantwho owns part of DJ. Also, Virgin America is wrestling for market share with *A member United. United already partner Virgin Blue on SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL, where does that leave V Australia? Tis complicated

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy777 View Post
                        http://virginblue.com.au/AboutUs/Med...s/P_002025.htm

It's not SQ F...but it's a start.

If DJ did join Star...where would that leave the rest of the Virgin brand. SQ owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic (which they don't wantwho owns part of DJ. Also, Virgin America is wrestling for market share with *A member United. United already partner Virgin Blue on SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL, where does that leave V Australia? Tis complicated
                        But *A already has a lot of member/member competition around the world. Look at what happens out of NRT and BKK for example.

Comment

Here is a news article from 3rd April 2008 - seems like Virgin Blue are ruled out of Star Alliance for the time being...

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/ind...=76090&nav=130

Star Alliance Chief Executive Jaan Albrecht has expressed concerns about Virgin Blue's business model, saying VJ is not yet a suitable candidate for inclusion in the global air alliance which numbers Singapore Airlines, Thai, United and Air New Zealand.
                          matt_will_fix_it

Comment

The lack of *A carriers in Australia is pretty annoying IMHO. Ansett left a big hole and I really, really hope *A manages to fill that hole somehow. An eager A.net reader as myself found a nice discussion today where a bmi-VS merger was discussed to open up LHR-transatlantic routes for *A. Never gonna happen though but the blank spot in Australia is quite annoying for me. I don't see why I cannot earn *A miles when flying from my grandpa in MEL to my auntie in BNE ...
                            Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                              The lack of *A carriers in Australia is pretty annoying IMHO.
                              As is the hole in South America. Having flown DJ twice, I dont really see how their service model can be part of *A being a full-service airline group.

Comment

Working...
                              X